The REAL reason for concern - has nothing to do with outside FAs

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
The reason for concern right now is that last year this team went as far as its defense allowed. That is going to likely be the formula every season in Daks career. He’s not Romo who can consistently win shootouts. It happens every once in a while like the Philly game but more often than not when defense struggles like Colts and Rams the whole team struggles.

So this year there is no threat of a pass rush from RE without Gregory and LE even if Tank signs in July like Dez, he won’t have the surgery in time to be 100% prepared for the start of the season.

So if the DL is as bad as it was in 2014, the offense likely won’t be able to cover for the inadequacies of the defense. Also poor DL play means blockers get to Jaylon and LVE quicker which neutralizes them.

The difference between a healthy Tank and not changes the whole dynamic of the team given who this QB is. It’s more than just a hole here and there or being conservative.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Egads. Are you saying all the fan angst for acquiring Earl Thomas was all for naught?

conner01

Reaction score
We need to improve the Dline in a big way though that doesn’t mean you can’t upgrade the safety position too

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes. It’s a big flashy headline but wouldn’t have fixed the problem.
Your conclusion will not sit well with anyone who has strongly commented about Thomas' necessity over and over and over and over and well a lot of times. I am not certain practically all emphasis can be re-directed towards Prescott as the 'unfixed problem'.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Your conclusion will not sit well with anyone who has strongly commented about Thomas' necessity over and over and over and over and well a lot of times. I am not certain practically all emphasis can be re-directed towards Prescott as the 'unfixed problem'.
Prescott isn’t the problem in this situation. It’s needing a very strong defense which is done by having a healthy and talented DL. No tank and no pass rush ability from right side doesn’t get it done.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott isn’t the problem in this situation. It’s needing a very strong defense which is done by having a healthy and talented DL. No tank and no pass rush ability from right side doesn’t get it done.
My bad. You made references to Prescott struggling without a strong defense and the 'whole dynamic given who the QB is'. I misgauged the importance you associated between Prescott and the strength of the defensive unit.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm more interested in seeing Dallas coming to long term deal with Dlaw then extending Dak, Zeke and Cooper. FA in not all about getting players outside of your team but getting key players on your team taken care of. Everyone wants the shinny new toy, well I like some of the toys we have and would love to see them taken care of so we don't lose them.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Right. The Cowboys have morphed into a defensive team, and if they sign Tank they're closer to being an elite group. Without Tank this thing could fall apart, considering he's a the best defensive player and a leader.

I don't care about a safety...get some ballers on this DL and everything will fall into place. They picked up Covington today, I'm looking for one more (better) DT and DE before they draft.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I don't care about a safety...get some ballers on this DL and everything will fall into place. They picked up Covington today, I'm looking for one more (better) DT and DE before they draft.

Exactly, and the real jump will come from guys already on the roster -

Antwuan Woods was gassed in the Rams game because he had played 1 game in the previous two seasons and that was his 18th game of the season. Next year his conditioning will be much better.

Maliek Collins was a liability in the Rams game because his knee injury got worse, if he is healthy he is twice the player he was last year.

Dorance Armstrong has real talent and was already a rotational player, most players make a big jump in performance in their second year. Armstrong should as well.

The Cowboys are acting like Randy Gregory is looking at something like a 4 game suspension instead of banishment, that is a big factor.

Taco Charlton has huge physical skills and plenty of DL take time for things to click, they aren't counting on him but its entirely possible he becomes a ten sack guy next year. At worst he is a decent backup.

IMO the 2nd or 3rd round pick of the draft is a DL.

Datone Jones looked great in training camp but ended up on the DL, that is another rotation guy.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Exactly, and the real jump will come from guys already on the roster -

Antwuan Woods was gassed in the Rams game because he had played 1 game in the previous two seasons and that was his 18th game of the season. Next year his conditioning will be much better.

Maliek Collins was a liability in the Rams game because his knee injury got worse, if he is healthy he is twice the player he was last year.

Dorance Armstrong has real talent and was already a rotational player, most players make a big jump in performance in their second year. Armstrong should as well.

The Cowboys are acting like Randy Gregory is looking at something like a 4 game suspension instead of banishment, that is a big factor.

Taco Charlton has huge physical skills and plenty of DL take time for things to click, they aren't counting on him but its entirely possible he becomes a ten sack guy next year. At worst he is a decent backup.

IMO the 2nd or 3rd round pick of the draft is a DL.

Datone Jones looked great in training camp but ended up on the DL, that is another rotation guy.
Certainly see them drafting a DL early.
I would better if some of the incumbent starters have stiff competition, so the rotation would be more potent. My confidence in Collins isn't high vs the run and he's in a contract year.

I think Covington is a 1Tech Reid replacement... that's fine. So, I'm looking for that that 3Tech which might get drafted.

Trust in any DE not wearing #90 is low, so I'm looking to see a vet added. Hopefully Armstrong breaks out but who knows.