The real reason Troy Aikman retired from football, through his own words

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
From an old Cowboy fan since 1980, Troy was a hero to guys like me! I distinctly remember his retirement and final seasons very clearly. He was certainly more fragile than he had been earlier, and probably moved a bit slower. He still had a good arm, and he threw a lot of interceptions that I BELIEVE were as much the fault of the WR's as they were Troy's. They had that timing offense, and it seemed to me the receivers were out of place a lot. I don't recall that ever being brought up in broadcasts, but it's no coincidence that the absence of hard-working route-running guys like Michael Irvin and Jay Novacek hurt his passing stats late in his career. Troy could have made it with another team like the Dolphins, Eagles, or Chargers, but only if they had disciplined coaches and players.

And for comparison: Tom Brady, now considered the greatest of all time, is known as a disciplined player that lets his teammates know when they're slacking (Troy is caught regularly on tape cussing the heck out of everybody, but only after Jimmy left). And Brady benefitted from a coach that was very disciplined that also had the final word on player transactions. Troy and Brady have / had very similar styles, but one got a clown show in the 2nd half of his career, while the other got the benefit of 20 years of disciplined players via disciplined smart coaches (and an owner that knew to let the football brain make the decisions). Troy probably has selective memory, but everyone probably does. I'm glad he played for us, and glad i got to witness the 90's Cowboys greatness. We may never see the like again in Dallas.
*Forum fellows sportin' "ROWDY" avi's ,as a rule ,do not garner the ubiquitous & highly prized "like" from the limited number contained within the folds of my silken black sash that secures me boarding sword & Jim beam bottle,,, just sayingo_O

Mr_437

Reaction score
Well, at least, Troy got some Championships...poor Romo got put on the bench by a rookie, and never sniffed the big game.

MarkP88

Reaction score
Are there really people here diminishing Troy friggin' Aikman to prop up Jerry Jones? Good lord.

Big_D

Reaction score
Are there really people here diminishing Troy friggin' Aikman to prop up Jerry Jones? Good lord.

Good Lord is right!! some actually do that!! Jerry’s pure crap and people still defend him! It’s even funnier when some compare him to Jimmy Johnson and still talk about how Jerry “built” that team. lol or Jimmy couldn’t have done it without him?

Cowfan75

Reaction score
*I got his Superbowl MVP
( 3-d players card attached) WHEATIES ceral box

Me too, plus the one with Sanders on it. Seriously, honey frosted Wheaties was one of the best cereals I've ever had, and it was here and gone like that.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Me too, plus the one with Sanders on it. Seriously, honey frosted Wheaties was one of the best cereals I've ever had, and it was here and gone like that.
*AWESOME*
( mine came outta' a bank repo double wide trailer house)

J_Allen

Reaction score
In his last season it wasn't a matter of if but when he would get concussion.

He takes shots at Jerry every chance he gets. I don't blame him, but this isn't true.