The real reason we lost this game

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Even the so-called deserving $40 million dollar quarterbacks will not win every game the way they "should."

It will never stop the complaining but hopefully this ignored market-driven argument will get settled finally, hopefully sooner than later. Eventually, Prescott will get paid or he will not. That said, things will get extra interesting if he does get paid and folks begin self-rationalizing watching Prescott not meet their expectation of $40 million dollar play.

Edit: left out a 'not'

I’m not saying Dak “should” have won. Quarterbacks have bad games, sure. The Seahawks game got placed in Dak’s hands to win early on and he had crucial turnovers instead. It can happen to the best of them. It sure would have been validating if it didn’t happen to Dak on this particular game.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I keep seeing people here blaming Dak. Yes that was a horrible throw at the end of the game, but if you blame him solely for this loss you have an agenda.

The reason we were even in that position is because our young playcaller decided to get pass happy in the last 5 minutes of the game. There should have NEVER been 4 minutes on that clock for Russell to work with. You run that clock down and make them beat you in the 2 minute drill, or keep running and get rid of their timeouts. Something. Passing 3 times 1st and 10 in Seahawk territory was stupid. Reminds me of Garretts early days until he started actually leaning on Murray. There is no excuse.

yeah because Cowboys ran the ball so well all game

dckid

Reaction score
I keep seeing people here blaming Dak. Yes that was a horrible throw at the end of the game, but if you blame him solely for this loss you have an agenda.

The reason we were even in that position is because our young playcaller decided to get pass happy in the last 5 minutes of the game. There should have NEVER been 4 minutes on that clock for Russell to work with. You run that clock down and make them beat you in the 2 minute drill, or keep running and get rid of their timeouts. Something. Passing 3 times 1st and 10 in Seahawk territory was stupid. Reminds me of Garretts early days until he started actually leaning on Murray. There is no excuse.
Thousand times like. We have Kellen calling plays not calling a game. We need to play less defense to win.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

bad special teams cost this game as it did.

make the first missed kick. its a freaking point after. yes, I know its longer, but we brought you here for consistency...the second kick...how often do kicks get blocked. we make both of those kicks and we don't need to go for two. and the score would have been 34-30 and seahawks still scoring a TD would not have gone for 2 with that much time....thus the score 37-34......and we have a chance to drive down and kick a field goal and at least go to over time...

and oh, one more thing. that interception at the end of first half....16-15. that was bad. specially that defense didn't hold up to at least a field goal..

DenCWBY

Reaction score

THIS !! :hammer:
Pathetic play calling.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score

This post needs to be read by all.

One minute and forty-seven seconds and three time outs. Seattle is playing the pass.

Why wasn't your RB carrying the ball more?

Slick

Reaction score
Let's also take into account, the lack of full training camp, and preseason. Those are big factors in some of the sloppy play out there.

Those games would make a difference in getting a few more looks and game film for review and emphasis on do's and don'ts. Hopefully they'll start to review in more detail and make some improvements. The one thing that is a coaching blame, is the number of penalties. That's been a consistent problem for years.

johneric8

Reaction score
I thought Kellen Moore called an excellent game, and actually thought Dak played pretty well.
But- and there's no getting around this- as usual there were moments when the game was too big for Dak. He began to throw erratic, short passes that his receivers couldn't handle because they were too high, too hard, or caught them off guard.
But overall, Dak played well.
The interception at the end of the game was simply the culmination of the Seahawks being a much better team. Even before that, Dak had thrown what should have been a game ending interception that ended up being a completion on a fluke batted ball. Even though he got away with it, this is the usual signs of the game being too big for Dak.
He doesn't throw many interceptions, but he tends to get erratic when the pressure is on.
But the Seahawks were much better than the Cowboys across the board for the entire game, and when they were fresh they simply overpowered the Cowboys. The first part of the third quarter really showed how much better they were.

The real issue is the lingering hangover from the weak philosophies of Jason Garrett. The Cowboys play great one minute, then seem to expect the opposing team to just quit.
From the day Garrett took over the offense in 2007, the Cowboys seemed to celebrate their victories after their first score, as if the opposing team would simply quit when they witnessed such greatness.
They no longer do that, but the hangover is still with the organization. They play great, then get burned.
Some of the Cowboys "all-pros" may have to go. They are just too accustomed to not keeping their foot on the gas and playing through the end of the game.
There was no doubt that the Seahawks were the better team all day yesterday, albeit dumb at times.
And if you want to compare apples to apples, Russell Wilson showed what a marquee quarterback should look like.
All teams play great one minute and not so great the next.. Wilson had some abysmal throws as well, but his defense made the critical play and ours couldn't.. Dak wasn't perfect so he deserves criticism for his failures but he was still one of the best players on that field.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The "real" reason they lost was because the Dline cannot get to the QB. A. Smith is the only guy who can pressure anyone all game. Wilson could have knit a sweater back there. He literally went through his progressions and then back through them the opposite way. All Day he had. I'm surprised the secondary played as well as they did considering.
They were using 6- and 7-man blocking schemes. You're never going to get pressure against that.

The DL didn't play particularly well, but the secondary was so terrible that Seattle had no problem just running 2- and 3-man routes.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Monday morning quarterbacking. We had no run game. Had we attempted what you said we would have never gotten into FG range.

We lost because we have no defense and Prescott is the antichrist. Mostly the latter.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak has thrown for nearly 1,000 in the last two weeks with a terrible offensive line and a defense that can’t cover me and 10 of my friends. He’s the least of our worries.

This doesn't even make sense. At least 5 of your friends would have to stay in block or you'd get a penalty.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
when u beat your self it dont take much from the other team for u to lose until the cowboys get better on defense and start getting turnovers and stop turning the ball over they are not going to win many games
I agree, turnovers are highest form of beating yourself

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We have lost 2 games by 1 score, on the road to good teams. We aren't a terrible lost cause, we do not need to tank, we do not need to wrip it up and start again.

We are definitely going to win a very poor division, we have ALL season to work out our deficiencies and be ready for the play offs. We are the team under the least pressure in the whole league.

2-8 in one score games since last year...that is a trend

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

we burned a lot of time off the clock until the last three passes on that drive. However, assuming we only got a FG, Wilscum might have driven them down to score on us with no time left anyway

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Good point

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I thought Kellen Moore called an excellent game, and actually thought Dak played pretty well.
But- and there's no getting around this- as usual there were moments when the game was too big for Dak. He began to throw erratic, short passes that his receivers couldn't handle because they were too high, too hard, or caught them off guard.
The interception at the end of the game was simply the culmination of the Seahawks being a much better team. Even before that, Dak had thrown what should have been a game ending interception that ended up being a completion on a fluke batted ball. Even though he got away with it, this is the usual signs of the game being too big for Dak.
He doesn't throw many interceptions, but he tends to get erratic when the pressure is on.
But the Seahawks were much better than the Cowboys across the board for the entire game, and when they were fresh they simply overpowered the Cowboys. The first part of the third quarter really showed how much better they were.

The real issue is the lingering hangover from the weak philosophies of Jason Garrett. The Cowboys play great one minute, then seem to expect the opposing team to just quit.
From the day Garrett took over the offense in 2007, the Cowboys seemed to celebrate their victories after their first score, as if the opposing team would simply quit when they witnessed such greatness.
They no longer do that, but the hangover is still with the organization. They play great, then get burned.
Some of the Cowboys "all-pros" may have to go. They are just too accustomed to not keeping their foot on the gas and playing through the end of the game.
There was no doubt that the Seahawks were the better team all day yesterday, albeit dumb at times.
And if you want to compare apples to apples, Russell Wilson showed what a marquee quarterback should look like.
First......to hard? Caught them off guard? AND you place blame on the QB?

Second.....this comparing Dak to Russell. Meet me at the park. You can bring 10 DB's......I'll bring along none.

Bet you whip my ***.

kwcool619

Reaction score

The Garrett residue will linger for a while. The players who played under him (who are still on the team) have to get used to coaches making in game adjustments. Garrett rarely made in game adjustments. How about winning under pressure? You made a great point about the team quitting when teams were better. When you are taught certain beliefs for a length of time, they are deep!y ingrained in your mind.. Garrett may not be physically with the Cowboys anymore, but the habits, attitude, mindset, doubts, apparently, is still evident with this team. And the Jones family allowed this to go on for 10 years. We Cowboys fans need to let Big Mike do his thing. It may take a year or two for a more positive outcome.

Last edited: