The reason they have to keep Dez

erod

Reaction score
Some buddies and I were kicking around the Dez situation the other day, and Peter King touched on a point we were making. He added context.

We concluded that the Cowboys have no choice but to keep Dez Bryant. Replacing him in the draft is too hard, and buying their way out of it only compounds the financial albatross of Dez' contract even further.

In the past three years, look at the first-round receivers that were drafted. Virtually every one has been a disappointment so far, except for Amari Cooper.

2015: Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett
2016: Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Lequon Treadwell
2017: Corey Davis, Mike Williams, John Ross

And keep in mind, 2018 is supposed to be a weak draft at receiver.

College football is doing a terrible job of developing wide receivers for the pros, just like so many other positions. Receivers show up completely lost with no idea how professional offenses work. They don't understand how to run routes, how to read defenses, and they aren't used to catching balls in traffic.

I know that sounds like Dez a bit, but he had the knack for catching in traffic from day one.

If they cut Dez, then Cole Beasley or Terrance Williams is the #1 receiver. That is, unless you think tiny Calvin Ridley is going to come in and be a seasoned pro his first year. Eeeek.

I've stated my issues with Dez for a many years, but he's the best option for this team in 2018 at that spot. Keep him, bite hard on the contract, and just hope the running game returns in full force.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd like to keep Dez, and he's getting more than his fair share of crap from fans right now. But it sure didn't seem to slow the offense down under Dak when Dez missed time in 2016. He's not exactly essential to the offense, as we saw last season. If we cut him, we'll lose a very talented guy in that position group, but we'll probably be able to replace his production with a talented young WR and by spreading his targets to some of the guys already on the roster. It won't be crippling the way the loss of the LT was.

erod

Reaction score
I'd like to keep Dez, and he's getting more than his fair share of crap from fans right now. But it sure didn't seem to slow the offense down under Dak when Dez missed time in 2016. He's not exactly essential to the offense, as we saw last season. If we cut him, we'll lose a very talented guy in that position group, but we'll probably be able to replace his production with a talented young WR and by spreading his targets to some of the guys already on the roster. It won't be crippling the way the loss of the LT was.

I would agree that there's so little chemistry between Dez and Dak that it wasn't any different with or without him.

But if that remains the case, it doesn't matter anyway. We'll be in quarterback-seeking mode next offseason and in for a long wait.

If there's any chance Dak is the guy, he needs Dez, and he needs to figure out how to use him.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The argument that could win out though is that WR is an overrated position and teams that are winning championships really don't have elite WR's.

Scheme is clearly more important then talent for the teams overall success.

Dez is a stud but we will never get our monies worth under the current circumstances.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Geez when they cut this guy half the board will be on suicide watch
:facepalm:

LOL. So true. His replacement will be immediately hated and I think the childish behavior demonstrated by the Romo hanger-ons will be much worse when it comes to Dezzies being upset.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree that there's so little chemistry between Dez and Dak that it wasn't any different with or without him.

But if that remains the case, it doesn't matter anyway. We'll be in quarterback-seeking mode next offseason and in for a long wait.

If there's any chance Dak is the guy, he needs Dez, and he needs to figure out how to use him.

I go back and forth on it. I'm really not that sure that Dak needs Dez to be successful. If we don't have him, Dak will need another legitimate passing option. But those aren't all that hard to find. It might be Switzer, or Gathers, or Elliott. Or we find a RB who can split out, or we bring in a vet WR who over delivers (somebody on the order of a Moncrief). Maybe if there's limited interest in Terrelle Pryor we give him a 1-2 year tryout. Or we take a guy we like in the draft somewhere (DJ Moore would be my guy). Give some of Dez' targets to Beasley, Witten, Noah Brown, whoever.

It's more important that we get the protection sorted out.

That said, I think Dez can still play. There are probably better situations for him out there somewhere.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We will renegotiate his contract. He isn’t taking a pay cut. He will stay a few more years. We will be lucky if one of our other WR step up this year. Takes us about 2 or 3 years to get a WR to come around. If we draft a descent one this year then maybe by 2020 he will start to come around. It’s special to have a WR come straight in from the draft and play like a #1. Still waiting on Butler to break through.

aria

Reaction score
I don't mind if the keep Dez. I just want Dez to reduce his mistakes and control his attitude. If he does that then I have not problem with Dez being on the team.
So in other words you’ll have a problem with Dez being on the team ;)

aikemirv

Reaction score
Geez when they cut this guy half the board will be on suicide watch
:facepalm:

I am probably one of the biggest Dez supporters I have seen on this board and I am pretty sure I won't be on suicide watch.

It's those that think Dez is the problem that are going to be having a hard time once Dak dissapoints them anyway if Dez is gone.

Dez had a rough year. He did not handle it well. He has to improve mentally and emotionally to see improvements on the field. I don't know if he will but I don't believe his skills have declined to any significant degree. He had a great situation with Romo and had never had to deal with this type of adversity. Will he mature or will he turn into TO who never did? We'll see!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We don't HAVE to keep Dez.

However you are correct that the odds are not in our favor of getting a WR in the draft that will make a #1 WR impact on day one and for most of the rookie year.

Not that it can't be done. But the odds are against it.

With that said, it still does not hamstring you into keeping Dez if you do not want too, nor does his contract.

This team has let high priced players go before with nobody really in place to take over (Ware).

We let Carr and Mo go and counted on the draft to help us and we got lucky with that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Some buddies and I were kicking around the Dez situation the other day, and Peter King touched on a point we were making. He added context.

We concluded that the Cowboys have no choice but to keep Dez Bryant. Replacing him in the draft is too hard, and buying their way out of it only compounds the financial albatross of Dez' contract even further.

In the past three years, look at the first-round receivers that were drafted. Virtually every one has been a disappointment so far, except for Amari Cooper.

2015: Amari Cooper, Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Nelson Agholor, Breshad Perriman, Phillip Dorsett

College football is doing a terrible job of developing wide receivers for the pros, just like so many other positions. Receivers show up completely lost with no idea how professional offenses work. They don't understand how to run routes, how to read defenses, and they aren't used to catching balls in traffic.

I know that sounds like Dez a bit, but he had the knack for catching in traffic from day one.

If they cut Dez, then Cole Beasley or Terrance Williams is the #1 receiver. That is, unless you think tiny Calvin Ridley is going to come in and be a seasoned pro his first year. Eeeek.

I've stated my issues with Dez for a many years, but he's the best option for this team in 2018 at that spot. Keep him, bite hard on the contract, and just hope the running game returns in full force.
Yep but we’ll still try to get him to restructure his contract .

And that’s been my interpretation of the rhetoric coming out from the Star.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It probably is unreasonable to simply cut him.

But if they do nothing with his cap factor, then they are really mailing it in.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

I disagree with the money part of it. How does having only 8 mil in dead money if cut before June 1st be worse than having a 16.5 mil hit on the cap for 2018? It would actually be saving 8.5 mil on the 2018 cap and even more if he was designated as a June 1st cut.