The Reason Why Players Bust

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Why do you think we have so many players that come out in the first round and bust.

Because when your drafted in the first round you have no choice but to be great and be an impact player and less time to grow

Because players benifit from systems and poor opponents in college

thoughts please

parchy

Reaction score
Teams making these players into what they want them to be, rather than what they are... i.e. Alex Smith

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
parchy man i love the sig line, wouldnt that be a great pick for us...but hoefully we dont have the 11 overall pick:D:D

parchy

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
parchy man i love the sig line, wouldnt that be a great pick for us...but hoefully we dont have the 11 overall pick:D:D

Yeah, hopefully it's more like "32nd overall pick"

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I think a lot of players today "Bust" because the team they go to. I think teams need to not only look at the production the player had in college but how they will fit into the system that the pro team runs. So often teams try and make the player conform to their style instead of playing the style that best fits the player. This mainly goes to the QB's more than any other O player and probabally fits a lot of D players as well.

I think Alex Smith will have a great career I know he's just the oppsite of what I said being a spread QB in college to a under the center in the NFL but I think he has the athletic ability and more important the Mental ability to be able to handel the switch in styles.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I think a lot of players today "Bust" because the team they go to. I think teams need to not only look at the production the player had in college but how they will fit into the system that the pro team runs. So often teams try and make the player conform to their style instead of playing the style that best fits the player. This mainly goes to the QB's more than any other O player and probabally fits a lot of D players as well.

I think Alex Smith will have a great career I know he's just the oppsite of what I said being a spread QB in college to a under the center in the NFL but I think he has the athletic ability and more important the Mental ability to be able to handel the switch in styles.

I think Smith will have a great career, if the 49ers dont throw him in and make it to hard on him, they need to ease him in, and make sure he knows what hes doing first ...... you know kind of like what BP is doing with henson:) :rolleyes:

Kilyin

Reaction score
It's literally a 'whole different ball game' (pun intended) when you talk about college ball and the NFL. Some players just don't have what it takes. I'd agree the team they end up with plays a big part too.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Why do you think we have so many players that come out in the first round and bust.

Because when your drafted in the first round you have no choice but to be great and be an impact player and less time to grow

Because players benifit from systems and poor opponents in college

thoughts please

A player is really only a bust based on where he was drafted. A guy taken in the 6th round who ends up only starting a dozen or so games in a 5 year NFL career isn't considered a bust but if that same guy were taken in the top-10 then he is.

Players are taken high because of what they accomplished in college and how much they impressed the scouts/coaches in workouts or at the combine.

The pro game is drastically different from college (despite what one poster here thinks) and it is very difficult to project just how well a player will make the transition to the NFL regardless of how good he was in college. Teams take a chance that the guy can make the step up and translate his talent into success at the pro level. It doesn't always pan out that way.

By the same token, there are lots of players who were taken in the later rounds, or even undrafted, who went on to become stars. Their talent wasn't recognized by the scouts but they made the transition to the NFL and succeeded even though they may not have been all that in college.

The bottom line is that the two games are very different and the transition doesn't depend on physical talent alone but on attitude, technique, work ethic, character, teamwork, the ability to play well with others, staying out of trouble, etc. Lots of guys can run fast, are big and strong, can throw the ball 80 yards, etc. but only those with the dedication and willingness to sacrifice will make it in the NFL.

Ryan Leaf is a good example of a player with all the physical tools but not the mental attributes. He had a great arm but no feel for the game and no willingness to put the effort in to learn it. Heath Shuler is an example of a guy whose talents got him by in college but weren't enough in the NFL.

They are vastly different games and most guys can't make the transition.

parchy

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Heath Shuler is an example of a guy whose talents got him by in college but weren't enough in the NFL.

I think Ken Dorsey is a pretty good modern-day example

scottsp

Reaction score
So many reasons. I doubt there is just one or two explanations, but rather many. Ranging from misevaluation to wrong place/wrong time to maybe said talent is just not suited for the pro game.

Very good question being posed. I just think there are so many different ways to go on this. These kids are human and that said, you're dealing with a multitude of possible reasons here.

I know teams would love to have the answers to this. But it will continue to mystify us and them. Because of that, there will be busts for as long as they continue drafting players.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
parchy said:
I think Ken Dorsey is a pretty good modern-day example
But Dorsey wasn't drafted in the first round like Shuler was.

Thumper said:
The pro game is drastically different from college (despite what one poster here thinks)

I don't know if this jab was ment for me considering my previous post but I will say I know there is a big difference between College and Pro level. All I was going at was I think some of these first round busts if they had gone to a different team and situation then maybe they wouldn't have been a bust. and what I said about maybe teams need to not make the player conform to their style but maybe the team should conform to the style that best fits the player. I took that from a quote a GM ex espn writer said Randy Meuller (SP) I just happen to agree with it. I don't think it fits all the time.

parchy

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
But Dorsey wasn't drafted in the first round like Shuler was.

Regardless, he had some high expectations set for him in NFL, which is natural considering how well he did at Miami... as one of the winningest QB's in NCAA history, he will not be able to replicate that at the pro level

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
parchy said:
Regardless, he had some high expectations set for him in NFL, which is natural considering how well he did at Miami... as one of the winningest QB's in NCAA history, he will not be able to replicate that at the pro level

He was surrounded by superior talent in College. In the Pro's most teams are MORE even (not even, but more even).

Also, 21 year olds are still filling out and most don't reach their physical prime until 25 or so, bulk wise anyhow. Everyones body is different, a skinny guy in college may bulk up more in a real pro program, some other folks may have hit their peak physical shape in college and have no more room to develope as they get older.

Some may get by on physical talent in college, where the pro game everyone is more physical and technique and savy become more important.

Thats just some of the reasons.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
parchy said:
Teams making these players into what they want them to be, rather than what they are... i.e. Alex Smith

Not so fast there Parchy. Lets wait and see what Smith can do before we throw him under the bus.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
parchy said:

I don't agree with this at all. Who in the NFL had such high expectations for him? Dorsey was selected in the 7th round of the 2003 draft. He was the 27th pick of that round. He was the last QB taken in that draft. I would not say that the NFL or people associated with the NFL had a very high opinion of Dorsey. In fact, I would say just the opposite.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Players bust mainly because teams draft physical talent and forget dedication, heart, smarts, and work ethic. Most busts are lazy and can't handle the fact that they can't dominate without much effort (like they could in college).

I do agree, though, that some bust because they get horrible coaching and it kills their confidence. By definition, these high draft picks are going to the worst teams teams, and often a big reason for that is lousy coaching and management.

parchy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Not so fast there Parchy. Lets wait and see what Smith can do before we throw him under the bus.

I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet (although I'm ready to). I just think he's being thrust into this 'savior of a franchise' position when he really isn't that great. Whether he's good or not in the NFL is yet to be seen, but I think the Niners are trying to jam a square peg into a round hole with Smith.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
parchy said:
I'm not throwing him under the bus just yet (although I'm ready to). I just think he's being thrust into this 'savior of a franchise' position when he really isn't that great. Whether he's good or not in the NFL is yet to be seen, but I think the Niners are trying to jam a square peg into a round hole with Smith.

Interesting. I see him as a great fit for them. I think he's going to have trouble early because he's a rookie and he's not on a very good team but I have no doubts about his talent. I think he is a perfect match for a WCO. I think he will do well, assuming SF gets him something to work with.