News: The reasoning behind bringing Dez Bryant back in 2018

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Actually Dallas does do it every year. Witten - as one example - has restructured his contract in four of the last five seasons to give the team more cap space.

That was up until last year with Witten; that trend is now over. And I get that they will restructure guys like Fred who have new contracts. My point was that he say we should restructure everyone possible every year. No one in the league ever does that.

Reaction score
I doubt Dez gets cut or takes a pay cut. They might renegotiate his contract but that's about it. And on the same subject why is Dez the only one being expected to take a pay cut? Lots of players had bad years.

zekecowboy

Reaction score
If WR is the biggest need...Id rather keep Dez,restructure his deal and Draft Calvin Ridley at 19...or Christian Kirk in the 2nd.

Dallas has not restructured Dez Bryants salary for several years and they will not start this year. More likely a pay cut.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dallas has not restructured Dez Bryants salary for several years and they will not start this year. More likely a pay cut.

Dallas has not restructured Dez for a reason. They are keeping their options open to move on fro him. I don't know if it will happen or not, but I do think options are being considered.

basstapp

Reaction score
biggest reason....replace him with who?
no one will trade for him cause they think we'll cut him.
he is better than any f/a WR on the market.
Id rather have Dez and Calvin Ridley or Dez and DJ Moore than Ridley and TWill as a starting duo.
his deal needs to be restructured no question...but who do you replace him with.

ps....the steelers aint swapin us Dez for Brown.

Give me jarvis landry or a marquise lee o. Thr cheaper end and then draft ridley or another higher end wr pick

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Jarvis Landry, Allen Robinson (assuming he's recovered from his ACL surgery), and even Sammy Watkins.

Dez is now a liability on AND off the field. He single handledly costed us the Seattle game and hasn't had a 100 yard game in over 20 games, I believe.
He has 17 TDs over the last 3 years .......that isn't peanuts.....the same as Julio Jones and Jarvis Landry

More than DThomas, AJeffrey, TY Hilton, Golden Tate and R Cobb in less games

Kaiser

Reaction score
That was up until last year with Witten; that trend is now over. And I get that they will restructure guys like Fred who have new contracts. My point was that he say we should restructure everyone possible every year. No one in the league ever does that.

I don't think he was saying we will restructure everyone just for the sake of restructuring. We have done that in the past but there is a ton of room available this year and fewer holes to fill. This year we could resign all our inhouse guys, plus a WR, plus a guy like Earl Thomas, plus an upgrade at OG from Cooper.

Its unlikely, but they could do it if the right guys were available and did sign.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think he was saying we will restructure everyone just for the sake of restructuring. We have done that in the past but there is a ton of room available this year and fewer holes to fill. This year we could resign all our inhouse guys, plus a WR, plus a guy like Earl Thomas, plus an upgrade at OG from Cooper.

Its unlikely, but they could do it if the right guys were available and did sign.
Thanks...... he is the King of twisting words...... never said to do everyone

Doing just TSmith, TFred and SLee puts us 42m under

That leaves Dez, TCrawford, Witten, LCollins, ZMartin(ext) to deal with in different ways.......23m more

Possible cuts to Hanna and Mayowa and a resolution to RGregory could free up another 6.5m

That is over 72m in useable space....some years we had to cut players just to get under the cap
No way we use it but it is there ......like a limit on a Credit Card or HELOC..... but with no interest

cern

Reaction score
the reality of life in the nfl is "what have you don't for me lately". for the last two seasons in a row, dez has done little for the cowboys.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
He has 17 TDs over the last 3 years .......that isn't peanuts.....the same as Julio Jones and Jarvis Landry

More than DThomas, AJeffrey, TY Hilton, Golden Tate and R Cobb in less games
The question isn't who you would take over the last three seasons, it's who you would take NOW. I'm taking Landry and Robinson every day over Dez.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The question isn't who you would take over the last three seasons, it's who you would take NOW. I'm taking Landry and Robinson every day over Dez.
You brought up the past .....just showing it isn't as bad as OUR fans make it out...... 2100 yards and 17TDs over 38 games

And now Landry and ARob are going to cost 14m.....that is how it works

You get peanuts for 4 years then get paid......it isn't just Dez

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
And now they are going to cost 14m

I'm not taking salary into the equation; we were simply comparing the quality of player. In my opinion, I would cut Dez ONLY if we get a guy like Calvin Ridley in the draft and sign a veteran WR like Donte Moncrief, because we know the Cowboys isn't going to sign a high-priced FA like Landry.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I love how people don't understand that you don't have to replace one player with another.

The money saved on Bryant's contract can go towards the defense. It doesn't have to go towards a WR. The same goes for Demarcus Lawrence and David Irving.