CFZ The Reincarnation of Harvey Martin

SFloridaCowboy

Reaction score
Harvey Martin
Heavenly Made
Heaven sent, bent on putting a dent on opposing QB's.

A third round DE draft pick out of East Texas State, he was considered too passive when he arrived in traiing camp in July 1973.

After working with legendary DL coach Ernie Stautner, Harvey transformed into an aggressive player.
Harvey was damn fast, faster than some Cowboys DB's.

The conservative Tom Landry used him as a designated pass-rusher his first two years/ he was lightning in a bottle, leading the Boys in sacks both years.

He became Harvey "Too Mean" Martin in 1974 when Ed "Too Tall" Jones came to the Boys as the first player in the draft.
In 1975, Landry started both Harvey and Too Tall in the starting lineup, and they were called Thunder and Lightning.

This two-some bookends in their first year as starters took the Boys to the Super Bowl in 1975 and two others in 1977 and 1978.

Harvey Martin was a fierce great player on the field, getting pressure on QB's at will. In his 5th year, he had one of the greatest years ever by a Dallas defender, Defensive MVP of the NFL, 23 sacks in 14 games. He was a great all around player, fiery on the field.

As a die hard Cowboy fan for so many decades, I have seen Demarcus Ware get into the Harvey Martin level of dominating pass rusher, primarily from the right side. But where has a pure DE come in as a draft pick and dominated for many years as a pass rush terror?

It had to happen sooner or later.

That man has arrived. I have seen him as a rookie, displaying Harvey Martn pass rushing talent and he led the Boys in tackles for loss in limited appearances. He ran a 4.46 at the combine. I am excited about him. Quinn is excited about him.

I predict that Sam Williams will win the RDE starting position and will be a double digit sack performer for many years. He will be our new Harvey Martin on the field performer and dominator, making Micah Parsons even more lethal.

#54 Sam Williams is the reincarnation of Harvey Martin and will lift the Boys' defense to another level of domination.

ESisback

Reaction score
IMHO, it’s a tad early for Harvey Martin comparisons. Those are BIG shoes! That said, a DL of Lawrence, Smith, Hankins and Williams looks pretty damn good. Add Parsons, LVE, Diggs, Gilmore, Bland, Kearse, and D. Smith, and you’ve got a top 3 defense.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I share your optimism. Sam has all of the physical traits, and a strong motor to drive him. Technique was off in college, and he got sloppy at times against the run, but I think that was overstated. Later in his career, he showed signs of being a very strong run defender at times. It was only a matter of coaching those traits out of him, and it appeared the light came on around the middle of last season.

When he was on the field last year, albeit limited snaps, he was a game wrecker. He harassed QBs, punished ball carriers, and seemed to always be making positive plays. To me, he looks like DLaws successor. I don't think he will ever be as good as Lawrence against the run....but who is? He certainly brings more juice off of the edge. His pass rush moves were well developed coming out of college, and he landed in a great spot under Dan Quinn to learn and develop further. His power matches that of Lawrence, and he is substantially faster. I don't know if he wins the spot this year, but I do think that DE rotation will be the best in the league this season, and he will play a strong role in making it happen.

Excited to see how it all plays out!

ESisback

Reaction score
Our backup rotational guys? Armstrong, Fowler, Odiggy, Gallimore, Cox, Overshone, Lewis, Hooker, Joseph, Wright and Israel Whatshisname. A few of those guys would start on some teams.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
A bit premature on Sam...but i understand your point. I think he does have what it takes, along with a little mean streak in him. He just needs to play with some controlled aggression which will calm down with more reps. He is an impact player kind of like a better David Irving/Randy Gregory without the knuckleheadedness.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Harvey Martin
Heavenly Made

A third round DE draft pick out of East Texas State, he was considered too passive when he arrived in traiing camp in July 1973.

After working with legendary DL coach Ernie Stautner, Harvey transformed into an aggressive player.

The conservative Tom Landry used him as a designated pass-rusher his first two years/ he was lightning in a bottle, leading the Boys in sacks both years.

He became Harvey "Too Mean" Martin in 1974 when Ed "Too Tall" Jones came to the Boys as the first player in the draft.
In 1975, Landry started both Harvey and Too Tall in the starting lineup, and they were called Thunder and Lightning.

This two-some bookends in their first year as starters took the Boys to the Super Bowl in 1975 and two others in 1977 and 1978.

Harvey Martin was a fierce great player on the field, getting pressure on QB's at will. In his 5th year, he had one of the greatest years ever by a Dallas defender, Defensive MVP of the NFL, 23 sacks in 14 games. He was a great all around player, fiery on the field.

As a die hard Cowboy fan for so many decades, I have seen Demarcus Ware get into the Harvey Martin level of dominating pass rusher, primarily from the right side. But where has a pure DE come in as a draft pick and dominated for many years as a pass rush terror?

That man has arrived. I have seen him as a rookie, displaying Harvey Martn pass rushing talent and he led the Boys in tackles for loss in limited appearances. He ran a 4.46 at the combine. I am excited about him. Quinn is excited about him.

I predict that Sam Williams will win the RDE starting position and will be a double digit sack performer for many years. He will be our new Harvey Martin on the field performer and dominator, making Micah Parsons even more lethal.

#54 Sam Williams is the reincarnation of Harvey Martin and will lift the Boys' defense to another level of domination.
A lot of wood to chop. A LOT OF WOOD TO CHOP

and he has not even picked up the ax yet

deerhunter11

Reaction score
I expect this defense to be awesome if they stay healthy they will be a top 3 defense ,they look to me to be stacked from defensive line to linebacker and secondary.this defense could be scary good .

Rayman70

Reaction score
If Sam is anywheres close to Harvey and what he was, we nailed it. Harvey was vastly overshadowed by Randy and Ed. He was steady and did his job well. A great compliment to Ed. Opposing teams sure knew what Harvey Martin was. A BEAST. Sam has a long way to go to be that. I'll settle for now, if he is just good as Greg Ellis for a time.

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm just hoping he doesn't have that dreaded Sophomore Slump.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Harvey Martin
Heavenly Made

Different styles. Williams uses his hands and leverage strength. I like his game though and would compare it to Haley. Haley was more of a tactician and Sam has more raw power. If he combines technique with his skill it will be nasty.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Harvey Martin was a wifebeater that the club helped protect.

I hope Williams is nothing like that individual.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Darn am I getting excited for the 2023 season to begin. Go Cowboys