The replacement draft

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To a varying degree, every roster is different.
There are a few deep teams that are deep enough that dont have to look at it this way.

What other way is there to look at it? You're acquiring players for your future. They will replace the players of today.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If you hit on guys you can't expect to keep them all?

LOL, show me the "hits" on this defensive cluster schmuck.
I'm not referencing the Cowboys. You insinuated that because you address the position when you already have the position that means its a bad thing. Its not. Feel how you want about Jaylon and LVE but if they were released they'd be scooped right up by a team. Just like Anthony Hitchens was and just like Damien Wilson was.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What other way is there to look at it? You're acquiring players for your future. They will replace the players of today.
Well yes they will, Im only saying that every teams rosters and depth issues are different to varying degrees, and without going into every specific teams roster dynamics, cause I dont want to..
Based on contract terms, a team that is deep has a lot less openings for starting gigs than this roster has.
This defense is getting young quick, and thats not a bad thing, just a lot of need over luxury at this point.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Here, yes always it seems. For all teams? Sometimes.

First and second round defensive picks are supposed to stick for a couple contracts.

Finding replacement players on rookie contracts is necessary in a capped system. You cannot re-sign sign everyone with talent.

Last edited:

SackMaster

Reaction score
Here, yes always it seems. For all teams? Sometimes.

First and second round defensive picks are supposed to stick for a couple contracts.
It seems like you believe every team other than the Cowboys, or at least most, never miss on 1st or 2nd Round picks.

If that is the case, I have a "great investment opportunity" that I would like you to look at.
:thumbup:

blueblood70

Reaction score
It seems like you believe every team other than the Cowboys, or at least most, never miss on 1st or 2nd Round picks.

If that is the case, I have a "great investment opportunity" that I would like you to look at.
:thumbup:
:lmao2::grin:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every draft is a replacement draft.
KC and TB's weren't, they kept their teams intact.

Last draft, we replaced Jones with Diggs and this one, Awuzie with Joseph, that's not progress. We didn't replace Quinn's production.

That's why this team keeps being a run in place team.

Last year, did drafting Lamb really do anything? Replaced Cobb but with a 1st rounder?

I agree with erod, we are not building on something, we're just remodeling.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is literally the REASON for a draft. To replace older players with younger players.
It is also to improve your team, not just make it younger.

In the early Jones going, they were building, adding on and improving. At some point that became just remodeling and they're in the same house.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It really is wild how poor we've been at drafting over the past 4 or 5 years (with last year being a question mark).
Yeah, last year is debatable....tbd
But they've otherwise been, uhmmm, shall we say, unimpressive.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
This Cowboys draft doesn't doesn't seem to be as much about adding to a talented roster, but rather replacing and covering for past mistakes. The core of this defense should be in the past 5 drafts, but it's just not. Much of those drafts are gone or about to be gone.
  • Parsons is here to un-do the Vander Esch pick. There's a reason many teams didn't even put LVE on their draft board, and we now understand why.
  • Cox is here to ultimately get Jaylon out of here, along with Neal.
  • Joseph is to eliminate the Awuzie miss and the Byron Jones mistake.
  • Odighizuwa is here to erase Trystan Hill, along with Urban.
  • Golston is here to fix the Taco Charlton debacle.
  • Bohanna is here because this team has paid dearly for avoiding true 1-technique tackles for years.
It's as if Dan Quinn walked in and said, "uh, no, we're not using these guys. Let's get new ones."

Let's hope his eye for what he wants for his defense is sharp. Worst case is that it can't possibly be worse than that high school defense we watched last year. I hope they're still looking hard at free agency, too.

We need picks to start sticking better so we can get in the talent acquisition mode, rather than the do-over mode we're stuck in.
:facepalm: Talk about not reading the room. It's as if you were throwing darts at a dartboard blindfolded. I don't buy any of that BS you just tried to sell us. You are so backward thinking. The past has obviously hurt you. But the hiring of Dan Quin was about moving forward.

On day one, Dan Quinn started watching tape and figuring how the clay he has to work with fits the mold of what he wants. We had an existing framework he could work with but he identified holes that had to be filled. That couldn't be more evident than by observing the players they targeted in the draft. It was extremely obvious to me that Dan Quinn and Will McClay have spent an inordinate amount of time together to get inside each other's heads. The communication between those two guys is important and it shows. During this draft the shopping list was being checked off and I think they did a really good job.
  • Parsons was drafted to be the eventual nucleus of this defense. He's not replacing the "Wolf Hunter". LVE may find a new role but he's going to be around.
  • Cox is here to be a coverage guy, something Jaylon is horrible at, so this one you diagnosed right.
  • Joseph is here to be paired up with Diggs to shut down the middle third part of the field. He's a young man that I'm concerned about. He can be an outstanding CB but he has some learning to do. I'm not sure football is the priority in his life. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. He will be Coach Joe Whitt Jr.'s special project this offseason.
  • Odighizuwa is our new and improved Tyrone Crawford. As an interior pass rusher, he too has some learning to do but he has the raw skills to be very good.
  • Golston is here to learn from an already good DE group. He's raw, so our veteran DEs will have to take him under their wing and show him the ropes. Dan Quinn is an excellent teacher so the young guys like Osa and Golston are in expert hands.
  • Bohanna... finally we get a run stopper for the middle of this line. Again, a young man in good hands, DQ will be so good for these young guys.
Not all these guys are starters on week 1 but they do represent the eventual starting DL and secondary that DQ envisions for our future.:thumbup:

John813

Reaction score
Yeah, last year is debatable....tbd
But they've otherwise been, uhmmm, shall we say, unimpressive.

They get too cute in the mid rounds and take too much input from guys that they fire the next year.

The only thing making 2016 a great one is getting lucky with Prescott. Even though he was low on their wish list.
Other than that, the first 3 picks have been underwhelming at times and I guess Anthony Brown is fine depth.

SackMaster

Reaction score
It is also to improve your team, not just make it younger.

In the early Jones going, they were building, adding on and improving. At some point that became just remodeling and they're in the same house.
Let's not forget that the Cowboys had one of the most lopsided football trades in all time to help with that also.

I'm not saying the Jones Family has done a great job the past 20+ years, but to assume that EVERY high pick will be a 10-15 year starter is less-than-realistic too.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the Cowboys had one of the most lopsided football trades in all time to help with that also.

I'm not saying the Jones Family has done a great job the past 20+ years, but to assume that EVERY high pick will be a 10-15 year starter is less-than-realistic too.
Its not less than realistic its delusional.

RS12

Reaction score
It really is wild how poor we've been at drafting over the past 4 or 5 years (with last year being a question mark).
Wild? More like par for the Jones family nepotism course.