The Ringer: How football stopped being fun

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
If you read the article, it explains precisely why you can't compare Tony Romo to Roger Staubach.
It's why I don't go along with people that say Tony's a better QB than Roger. It's a different game now. If Roger played now his stats would be through the roof.

haleyrules

Reaction score
When the owners decided to make it a QB and WR sizzle game and stopped the great hitting the game became a lot less entertaining. Too many rules that are not understood...too many commercials that are not wanted and way too much hype...no game can live up to it.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It's why I don't go along with people that say Tony's a better QB than Roger. It's a different game now. If Roger played now his stats would be through the roof.

Exactly. Anyone who compares guys decades apart and only relies on stats is ignorant. The game was totally different back then. Heck, almost every modern QB will hold their franchise's records. You can say the same for any other position except maybe RB since that position is used differently these days.

Romo can't hold a candle to Aikman or Roger. He's not even what Danny White was.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don't know how you'd measure "coaching parity," but whatever it is, we sure as hell don't have it. Everybody is outright stupid compared to Belichick, and it makes everything about the games real dumb and bad to watch.

Pick a random year in the 1980s and you could have some combination of Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs, Don Shula, Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll and/or Bill Parcells duking it out.

In the 1990s those ranks are thinning, but some are still alive and kicking and even winning titles, plus you've got Jimmy Johnson's dominance, and many guys who were not historically great but still seen as really good like Holmgren, Shanahan, Vermeil. The 90s also had Coughlin and the insanely good job he did with the expansion Jacksonville team, and Cowher winning a ton without a real QB before they got Big Ben, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Some of those guys burned out in 2000+ but at their 1990s peaks they were very respected.

Plus I know I'm leaving some guys out.

Tomlin, Harbaugh, Reid, McCarthy, and Carroll are the best of the rest, but all of them strike me as deeply flawed in various ways, and would all be seen as 2nd or even 3rd tier coaching talents in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

A couple weeks back, when Rams were playing Commanders, the Washington Post did a spread on Goff and McVeigh, centered around one of Goff's old college coaches, Franklin.

Franklin basically said that most coaches in the NFL are stupid and he pointed out how, many simply are stuck on their 'system' and can't tailor according to what players do well. its actually a really good article and speaks to what you are saying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...1076f6d6152_story.html?utm_term=.cbd8917372f8

khiladi

Reaction score
Exactly. Anyone who compares guys decades apart and only relies on stats is ignorant. The game was totally different back then. Heck, almost every modern QB will hold their franchise's records. You can say the same for any other position except maybe RB since that position is used differently these days.

Romo can't hold a candle to Aikman or Roger. He's not even what Danny White was.

Marino and Elway could have easily gone for 500 yards twice a season in this era, with these DB rules.

khiladi

Reaction score
A couple weeks back, when Rams were playing Commanders, the Washington Post did a spread on Goff and McVeigh, centered around one of Goff's old college coaches, Franklin.

Franklin basically said that most coaches in the NFL are stupid and he pointed out how, many simply are stuck on their 'system' and can't tailor according to what players do well. its actually a really good article and speaks to what you are saying.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...1076f6d6152_story.html?utm_term=.cbd8917372f8

Speaking of which there is a blurb in here about Dak:

"Dak Prescott came from Mississippi State, where plays demanded he decipher ONLY HALF THE FIELD, and he led the Cowboys to 13 victories as a rookie."

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's only 4 games, but the jump Goff made from rookie year to this year is INSANE.

LOL at Jeff Fisher, just LOL forever. Tied for most losses all time with a guy who won 17 more games.