The Rookies - Long

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
What's the one (1) thing these draft profiles from Fox Sports have in common.

Vital Statistics
Position: DE School/Team: Troy
Height: 6-4 Weight: 232 lbs.

prospect

Ware is an athletic defensive end with good change of direction. He also has a quick first step off the line and uses his hands effectively to get a solid punch. He has some pass rush potential, but he needs to develop more moves and refine his technique.
Ware has been a productive end in college, playing for an improved Troy program, and looked dominant at times. His great speed allows him to play sideline to sideline and cover more ground than an average defensive end. His 38 inch vertical leap is unheard of at his position. He has gained 35 pounds since his freshman year at Troy and may need to do that again to stay on the defensive line on Sundays.

Ware projects by many scouts as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

Vital Statistics
Position: DE School/Team: LSU
Height: 6-4 Weight: 298 lbs.

2004 turned out to be a very memorable season for Spears. He was named First-Team All-America by Walter Camp, AFCA, and the AP, was a semifinalist for the Lombardi, Bednarik, and Lott awards, and ranked second in the SEC with nine sacks.
Spears also posted 49 tackles, 17 for a loss, one interception, and 21 hurries en route to one of the most dominating seasons by a LSU lineman in school history. He has good size, long arms and a ton of athletic ability.

A playmaker that can score on the defensive side of the ball, Spears is a versatile athlete that was touted as one of the top tight end prospects coming out of high school. Quick and agile for a big man, he is tough against the run, but he needs to play with better leverage and refine his technique.

Spears lacks top speed to play the end and may not be tough enough for the inside. A position change may be in order upon his arrival in the NFL, but he could be a solid end in a 3-4 scheme.

Vital Statistics
Position: DE School/Team: Virginia
Height: 6-7 Weight: 290 lbs.

An effective defensive end in the ACC since his sophomore year, Canty suffered a season ending knee injury his senior season. His recovery will be the true key on where Canty will be drafted. If his knee is healed, he could be drafted much higher than if it isn't. Canty still has a lot of upside and could end up being better in the pros than he was in college. He is an athletically gifted, run stuffing end who played that position in Virginia's 3-4 scheme. He has great size for the NFL, with a huge frame and long arms. Many scouts believe he could become a good pass rusher despite never really being given the opportunity in college. He has good strength, and he is quick and agile, which allowed him to be a successful pass rusher in limited chances. He's also shown the ability to play tight end in goal line situations due to his large frame. He could end up as a 3-4 defensive end in the NFL.

Position: DT School/Team: Auburn
Height: 6-5 Weight: 278 lbs.

A defensive end before moving to tackle, Ratliff is a good athlete with desire to improve. He probably has a better chance for success as an end in the NFL, as he does not have the size for the inside just yet. Ratliff has good size with a frame to get even bigger and has the athleticism to be a productive left end in the NFL. His game is still a little raw, and he needs to improve his technique, but he is a hard worker and should continue to develop at the pro level. He needs to learn to play with better leverage and strength, and he must improve his durability, as injuries have hampered him throughout his career. Ratliff is a hard working, team player with some upside as a pro, and will best succeed in a 3-4 scheme as an end.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You know... the more I hear about Ratliff, the better I like him. He could really turn out to be a very solid player and teammate.

He's built too big for a 4-3 DE and too small for a 4-3 DT... but man is he perfect for a 3-4 DE.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
All are projected to fit well in a 3-4.

That's 2 things.

All went to college for 4 years.

That's 3.

All Play defense

That's 4.

Should I keep going?>

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
You know... the more I hear about Ratliff, the better I like him. He could really turn out to be a very solid player and teammate.

He's built too big for a 4-3 DE and too small for a 4-3 DT... but man is he perfect for a 3-4 DE.

Yeah I like Ratlif also. What I like about this draft is that 50% of our draft picks are built for the 3-4. That number goes to 63% if you count Burnett.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Muhast said:
All are projected to fit well in a 3-4.

That's 2 things.

All went to college for 4 years.

That's 3.

All Play defense

That's 4.

Should I keep going?>

Never thought about race. The def is obvious and a bit implied. The college for 4 years is nice but not notworthy.

Your first reply is where I was going, but the rest of your thread is comical if nothing else. I don't know what your day job is, but you could moonlight as a comedian.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:

I have a hunch he bulks up to become a DT. The team is loaded with DEs right now.

Ellis, Spears, Canty, Glover (at times), Coleman. I think I read Brooks is playing there as well.

Eddie

Reaction score
It finally occured to me ... with the new 3-4 D, we only need 2 DT's on the roster. The starting NT and his backup.

No wonder why we've been drafting to many DE's. I kept thinking we were ignoring the DT position.

Oh well.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Eddie said:
It finally occured to me ... with the new 3-4 D, we only need 2 DT's on the roster. The starting NT and his backup.

No wonder why we've been drafting to many DE's. I kept thinking we were ignoring the DT position.

Oh well.

That's why I think we will play more 3-4 than 4-3. I think we will play both, but the make up of the team is leaning toward us using a lot of 3-4.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Dough Boy said:
What's the one (1) thing these draft profiles from Fox Sports have in common.

Vital Statistics
Position: DE School/Team: Troy
Height: 6-4 Weight: 232 lbs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/draft/prospect?contentId=3483558
Ware is an athletic defensive end with good change of direction. He also has a quick first step off the line and uses his hands effectively to get a solid punch. He has some pass rush potential, but he needs to develop more moves and refine his technique.
Ware has been a productive end in college, playing for an improved Troy program, and looked dominant at times. His great speed allows him to play sideline to sideline and cover more ground than an average defensive end. His 38 inch vertical leap is unheard of at his position. He has gained 35 pounds since his freshman year at Troy and may need to do that again to stay on the defensive line on Sundays.

Ware projects by many scouts as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme.

Vital Statistics
Position: DE School/Team: LSU
Height: 6-4 Weight: 298 lbs.

2004 turned out to be a very memorable season for Spears. He was named First-Team All-America by Walter Camp, AFCA, and the AP, was a semifinalist for the Lombardi, Bednarik, and Lott awards, and ranked second in the SEC with nine sacks.
Spears also posted 49 tackles, 17 for a loss, one interception, and 21 hurries en route to one of the most dominating seasons by a LSU lineman in school history. He has good size, long arms and a ton of athletic ability.

A playmaker that can score on the defensive side of the ball, Spears is a versatile athlete that was touted as one of the top tight end prospects coming out of high school. Quick and agile for a big man, he is tough against the run, but he needs to play with better leverage and refine his technique.

Spears lacks top speed to play the end and may not be tough enough for the inside. A position change may be in order upon his arrival in the NFL, but he could be a solid end in a 3-4 scheme.

Vital Statistics
Position: DE School/Team: Virginia
Height: 6-7 Weight: 290 lbs.

An effective defensive end in the ACC since his sophomore year, Canty suffered a season ending knee injury his senior season. His recovery will be the true key on where Canty will be drafted. If his knee is healed, he could be drafted much higher than if it isn't. Canty still has a lot of upside and could end up being better in the pros than he was in college. He is an athletically gifted, run stuffing end who played that position in Virginia's 3-4 scheme. He has great size for the NFL, with a huge frame and long arms. Many scouts believe he could become a good pass rusher despite never really being given the opportunity in college. He has good strength, and he is quick and agile, which allowed him to be a successful pass rusher in limited chances. He's also shown the ability to play tight end in goal line situations due to his large frame. He could end up as a 3-4 defensive end in the NFL.

Position: DT School/Team: Auburn
Height: 6-5 Weight: 278 lbs.

A defensive end before moving to tackle, Ratliff is a good athlete with desire to improve. He probably has a better chance for success as an end in the NFL, as he does not have the size for the inside just yet. Ratliff has good size with a frame to get even bigger and has the athleticism to be a productive left end in the NFL. His game is still a little raw, and he needs to improve his technique, but he is a hard worker and should continue to develop at the pro level. He needs to learn to play with better leverage and strength, and he must improve his durability, as injuries have hampered him throughout his career. Ratliff is a hard working, team player with some upside as a pro, and will best succeed in a 3-4 scheme as an end.

the Position, Team and the Height and Weight are all in bold:D

did I win