The Screen Pass

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
88 enough said;2404196 said:
add slants and crossing routes to that wretched playbook. I think what everyone forgets is- That last year when he was BOY GENIUS he had this passing game coordinator to help him named "Tony Sparano". Have you noticed that he's not near as good a coordinator now that Tony is gone. Thats just a little food for thought. The genius lost a little luster off that Red Head without that guy that has Miami winning this year.

Sparano was in charge of the running game... not the passing game. That was Garrett's area.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
sk0aL;2404080 said:
I'm beginning to strongly believe that Red's playbook doesn't contain a single designed screen pass. I'm serious. Every time we throw it to Barber it's the result of a checkdown or one of Romo's acrobatic hookshots that he attempts as he's being tackled by 600 pounds of linemen.

The biggest failure during the Brad Johnson stretch was our utter inability to run the football. I include passes out of the backfield. MB3 has been running for his LIFE out there and still manages to get respectable yardage. We stubbornly relied on the vertical passing game with a QB who was shamefully incapable. If you have a cannon that can only shoot 25 yards, you do not attempt 30-35 yard passes. He was arguably worse than Vinny Testaverde, and that's saying something. I know missing Kosier means a lot, but you don't go from potentially the best OL in the league to utterly inept in a span of 3 weeks.

Which brings me back to the screen pass. Philthy has implemented Brian Westbrook brilliantly for years utilizing him out of the backfield. I know Philly runs a west coast offense and I'm not saying we should implement that, but Marion earns the Barbarian title when you get the ball to him in space. He's just like Brandon Jacobs in the fact that he's easy to bring down before he gets going, but once he gets a head of steam he's deadly.

The Cowboys ran a screen against the Giants and got their lunch eaten.

btcutter

Reaction score
We have been an AWEFUL screen team for nearly a decade. Parcell tried and tried but we have rarely ran a successful screen. Maybe we have poor personnel at OL to execute screen or the coaches are not devoting enough time to this.

Either way, when you can't execute this in practice, the coaches has no confidence to call the play during the game.