The Short Passing Game

Haimerej

Reaction score
No one is suggesting that teams play ONLY cover 2, in which case you would be right - QBs would feast. But teams stopped blitzing (because they realized it got them hurt) and started playing more more shell coverages, modulating between Cover 2, cover 3, Cover 4 and even 6-cloud looks. It changes play by play.

The counter to these is to hit quick passes in the seam (doesn't seem to be a big part of our playbook), drag route and hi-lo stressors, designed check downs and runs.

We couldn't run the ball as the year went on, but didn't even try the other ones.

He addressed the shell looks and Cover 2, like I said.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Those work against man coverages. Teams are playing zone.
In one of kurt warners qb review videos....he pointed out the ineffective play design of a short crossing route...and how its supposed to pick the defense. Shrug.

I dont believe they always play a deep zone on us....but not something im gonna make a hard stand about.

Haimerej

Reaction score
In one of kurt warners qb review videos....he pointed out the ineffective play design of a short crossing route...and how its supposed to pick the defense. Shrug.

I dont believe they always play a deep zone on us....but not something im gonna make a hard stand about.

I don't recall that. Not saying he didn't, just don't remember. If you got the time, I'll check out any citation you're willing to give.

I remember him talking about WR's adjusting a route to the coverage via pressing inside before continuing downfiled. There was that one play he showed 3 times in which MLB Warner was getting to the curl route, but I took that as more of a nit pick because all three examples resulted in completed passes. I thought it was interesting that his only scheme related criticism seemed to be against plays that worked, but could be better.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't recall that. Not saying he didn't, just don't remember. If you got the time, I'll check out any citation you're willing to give.

I remember him talking about WR's adjusting a route to the coverage via pressing inside before continuing downfiled. There was that one play he showed 3 times in which MLB Warner was getting to the curl route, but I took that as more of a nit pick because all three examples resulted in completed passes. I thought it was interesting that his only scheme related criticism seemed to be against plays that worked, but could be better.
I think his definition of "worked" is not just "pass complete". He wants maximum results...as that is what gets a td.
I think we struggle with it. Either poor route or pass off...or different receiver. I love his attitude about it.

In regards to type of defense....some of the jargon is jibberish to me so i better....let this one go.:)