THE SLEEPER FILE CB Greg Toler with 4.37 in 40

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
THE SLEEPER FILE
PROSPECTS TO WATCH FOR THE 2009 DRAFT OUTSIDE DIA FOOTBALL

Wednesday, April 15... CB Greg Toler, St. Paul’s… Just about every time we are interviewed we get asked who is going to be this year’s Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, the Tennessee State corner who was selected 16th overall by Arizona at the 2008 before going to have a solid rookie campaign that included a start in the Super Bowl. And while he isn’t going to drafted anywhere near that early - in fact, he’s no lock to be selected at all - the CB who reminds one the most DRC this year is unheralded Greg Toler from tiny D-II St. Paul’s. In fact, not even the majority of NFL teams had heard of Toler until recently, however, he really popped up on the national draft radar when he ran a 4.37 40 in wind and rain at the Richmond pro day. Of course, it just happens that Richmond has arguably the top non-D1A prospect in the 2009 draft class in DE Lawrence Sidbury and the Spiders on-campus workout, which usually barely attracts more than a couple of scouts, was well attended by NFL personnel people who were really introduced to Toler. Toler took a circuitous route to St. Paul’s, and at 24 is a little older than the usual draft prospect; he was a reasonably well regarded prep player, but struggled to stay academically eligible in high school and was never considered for a college scholarship because of poor grades. Toler wound up as a storeroom clerk at a JCPenney stocking shelves and sweeping aisles, but eventually got a chance to play for a semi-pro team and was later invited to play for DII St. Paul’s in Lawrenceville, Virginia which was in the process of re-establishing its program. For the record, at 5-11, 190, Toler is similar in size to Rodgers-Cromartie and like DRC has a great break on the ball and good ball skills. Indeed, Toler picked off 6 passes in 2008 and broke up 13 others to rank in the top three in the country at the DII level despite the fact that opposing teams tended to avoid his side of the field. For good measure, Toler also picked off passes at both the East Coast and Cactus Bowl all-star games. Not surprisingly, though, Toler‘s technique is still very, but he is fluid through the hips, has quick feet and a second gear when the ball is in the air. If Toler has a weakness, other his overall experience, its that he isn’t all that aggressive supporting the run defense. Toler was originally scouted by Baltimore and Washington, but once word got out he has started to pile up the frequent flyer miles with pre-draft visits or workouts with Houston, San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Arizona, Green Bay, Minnesota, Arizona, Miami, Tampa Bay, Jacksonville and the Jets and is now considered a possible-round selection at the upcoming draft.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Article is missing some key words, like what round this kid is projected to go. If it is higher than the 4th, then he should be out of the Cowboys range.

4th or lower is where a CB should be looked at, there are just too many more important positional needs right now. Especially project players. Toler is fast, fluid & got good size but he still needs technique work, experience and a willingness to be more physical. A draft higher than a low 4th is too much to invest in that type of developmental player. Our high 4th rounders (and up) have to contribute immediately (at least ST starters, at least).

That said, I like Toler, but not more than Webb, or even McCain. Webb & McCain are also proven playmakers as returners.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
i posted earlier about this guy in this room too, i think they are saying a low round draft choice

but dont quote me on that,

also, i got this off of gbnreport.com sleeper file, thats all it said;

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
silverbear had him going in the 5th round in his draft section file

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
LOL. She-Bear would be one ornery woman. I think Joe is giving Bear the Terry Glenn treatment.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
whoops was an honest mistake, probably wont be the last mistake i make either,

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2731568 said:
whoops was an honest mistake, probably wont be the last mistake i make either,

no worries, we all make fun of silverbear anyways
he's used to it