The Snow Day Mock Draft

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
Ok admittedly, my 1st shot at putting together a mock draft this year didn't go very well. I was a bit tipsy :laugh2: :
http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144216

I think (hope) we sign Shawn Springs and Elton Brown in FA, also take a look at Kalimba Edwards. I think that gives us a veteran CB just in case, and eventually I see him being our FS and sliding Hamlin to SS. Brown can come in and give us a young veteran swing tackle, and may be able to challenge Kosier for his guard spot. Edwards gives us a veteran pass rusher from that OLB spot to throw in rotation with Ware and Spencer. Roy Williams (S) and Greg Ellis (OLB) are cut or traded.

So here it is, I think this is an improvement:

2(51) - Ron Brace DT (Boston College) -- 6-3 334, with the departure of Chris Canty, I think we slide Ratliff to his DE spot instead of going after a FA replacement like Olshansky. We plug this guy right into the NG spot.

3(69) - Kraig Urbik OG (Wisconsin) -- 6-5 328, I know it seemed to me like after Kosier went down our inside running and pass protection took a beating. This guy is automatically better than Proctor and could push Kosier.
(OT - I have nothing against Kosier just think we need more of a mauler in there)

4(97) - Chip Vaughn SS (Wake Forest) -- 6-2 221, He makes plays. Is listed by most as a FS, but I see him more as SS, he's a good tackler, and has the size. He can cover more than enough to not be a liability and play all 3 downs.

4(113) - Sherrod Martin FS/CB (Troy) -- 6-1 198, Another playmaker, has nice speed, and is a more than willing tackler. Is great at playing centerfield, covers a lot of ground. Can play the CB in the slot and is a special teamer.

5(148) - Scott McKillop ILB (Pitt) -- 6-1 243, I like this guy a lot, and we might have to trade up into the 4th to get him. He reminds me a lot of the ILB that we just signed Brookings coming out college. Can go sideline to sideline, good in coverage, good instincts.

5(comp) - Nathan Brown QB (Central Arkansas) -- 6-1 219, A lot of people are stuck on his size being only 6-1, but I see a winner. He can make all the throws, and is accurate. He's mobile, and throws on the run well. Smart QB, reads Defenses well.

6(184) - Philip Hunt OLB (Houston) -- If we cut Greg Ellis (hopefully) then we'll need some depth behind Spencer and Ware. Even if a vet isn't brought in, this guy may be able to do the job. He's got a high motor, nice explosiveness, and long arms. He's got good strength and speed. My only concern is how he is in space.

6(comp) - Deon Butler WR (Penn St.) -- 5-10, 182 / Johnny Knox WR (Abilene Christian) -- 6-0 185 / Quan Cosby WR (Texas) -- 5-9 196 I don't really care which one of these guys it is that we pick up. I just want a WR with some speed and punt return ability. I'm tired of seeing Crayton back there. Wouldn't hurt if the guy could be a weapon in the slot.

7(193) - Roy Miller DT (Texas) -- 6-1 310, doesn't hurt to add a fireplug for depth behind big ole Brace. This guys has a high motor, is super strong, and might be one of those "trash cans of dirt" that Parcells' talked about. Doesn't get push around inside and can hold up against double team.

7(210) - Jeremy Navarre DE (Maryland) -- 6-3 285, Depth pick for the DL

Possible UDFA:
Worrell Williams LB (Cal)
Alex Boone OT (Ohio State)
Dominique Edison WR (Stephen F. Austin)
Ray Feinga OG (BYU)
Tiquan Underwood WR (Rutgers)
Cullen Harper QB (Clemson)
Brannan Southerland FB (Georgia)
Davon Drew TE (East Carolina)

Tell me what u think.. is it realistic? Opinions welcomed

Macnalty

Reaction score
I did not watch Brace at the combine, did you like his effort? Seems like we are reaching, I am of the opinion of best player available and see who drifts our way this year. I am incapable of providing a mock draft that goes through 7 rounds as even the second round for me is so mysterious even in March. I have liked Rashad Johnson from the start but realize we need more of a SSafety, I just have this feeling that we are going to have some talented player fall to us this year, not sure what position. I do agree that DT should be a priority, I also think it is best not to have a first round pick this year as the talent seems to be the same unless you are in the top five.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
hate the Brace pick

apparently Chip Vaughn hates the Cowboys, so I'll always question his motivation, and don't want him

other than that, very solid

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2665564 said:
Don't like the Brace pick and I don't think McKillop falls that low.

I just don't see anyone that's a better fit for what we need. Why don't u guys like him? He'll take on double teams, so that our inside LB's can run to the ball. He might not collapse the pocket like Ratliff, but he'll be coming out on passing downs anyway. I'd much rather get a big body and slide Ratliff to DE, instead of keeping him at NT. I think he'll be a beast at DE.

I didn't know Chip Vaughn was a hater. Well let's take McKillop with that pick in the 4th and with that 5th rd pick take Otis Wiley from Michigan St. Great athlete, injuries made him a little inconsistent, also can return punts. 6-1 213. Or Keith Fitzhugh from Miss St., he seems like a Bob Sanders type of player to me. I want to get playmakers at FS and SS in this draft.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Ceasaleo88;2666352 said:
I just don't see anyone that's a better fit for what we need. Why don't u guys like him? He'll take on double teams, so that our inside LB's can run to the ball. He might not collapse the pocket like Ratliff, but he'll be coming out on passing downs anyway. I'd much rather get a big body and slide Ratliff to DE, instead of keeping him at NT. I think he'll be a beast at DE.

I didn't know Chip Vaughn was a hater. Well let's take McKillop with that pick in the 4th and with that 5th rd pick take Otis Wiley from Michigan St. Great athlete, injuries made him a little inconsistent, also can return punts. 6-1 213. Or Keith Fitzhugh from Miss St., he seems like a Bob Sanders type of player to me. I want to get playmakers at FS and SS in this draft.

better value could be had later

players who can take on blockers are a dime a dozen, and our scheme is a 1-gap, which calls for the linemen to split gaps, and get into the backfield

if this were a 2-gap, 3-4 where the NT is required to be a 330lb. plugger to hold blocks, then I would feel differently

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2666776 said:

players who can take on blockers are a dime a dozen, and our scheme is a 1-gap, which calls for the linemen to split gaps, and get into the backfield

if this were a 2-gap, 3-4 where the NT is required to be a 330lb. plugger to hold blocks, then I would feel differently

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2666776 said:

I understand what our scheme is supposed to be, but I saw way too many people gash us up the middle last season playing that scheme.

Everywhere else he's been he's had a big body NT, except here.
In Denver, he had Keith Traylor. In Buffalo, it was Ted Washington. And of course Jamal Williams in San Diego. So it's not like he doesn't use them in the system. He hasn't used one here becuz he hasn't had one to use.

And how is he not a value pick there, he's easily a top 5 DT in this draft. In my opinion he's probably the 3rd best. He's got a good work ethic, and seems like a good kid. I'm in ACC country so I get to see BC a good amount of times, and he gets push and into the backfield, just doesn't get QB pressure, which we don't need from him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Ceasaleo88;2667066 said:
I understand what our scheme is supposed to be, but I saw way too many people gash us up the middle last season playing that scheme.

what games were we "gashed" up the middle?

Ceasaleo88 said:
Everywhere else he's been he's had a big body NT, except here.
In Denver, he had Keith Traylor. In Buffalo, it was Ted Washington. And of course Jamal Williams in San Diego. So it's not like he doesn't use them in the system. He hasn't used one here becuz he hasn't had one to use.

And how is he not a value pick there, he's easily a top 5 DT in this draft. In my opinion he's probably the 3rd best. He's got a good work ethic, and seems like a good kid. I'm in ACC country so I get to see BC a good amount of times, and he gets push and into the backfield, just doesn't get QB pressure, which we don't need from him.

after reading through this, I just have one question to ask? will Brace collapse the pocket better than Ratliff?

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
iRoot4Losers;2667271 said:
what games were we "gashed" up the middle?

after reading through this, I just have one question to ask? will Brace collapse the pocket better than Ratliff?

Umm let's see... Right off the top of my head Baltimore, NY Giants, St. Louis, Philly all had pretty big games against us running. And I think all 4 of those games were crucial losses. That basically killed our chances at the playoffs. A bigger presence in the middle would have helped there.

Like I said earlier no he won't collapse the pocket as well as Ratliff, but we won't need him to do that. With the loss of Canty. We need another DL, who can start right away. I'd rather take Brace and throw him in at NT, sliding Ratliff to DE taking Canty's spot. Sliding Ratliff to DE makes it easier for him to get inside pressure, because he won't be double teamed as much, because he'll have a massive guy who has to be double teamed on one side and Demarcus or Spencer on the other side.

Instead of using the pick on a guy we think can play the 3-4 DE cuz he has the size, but has never played the technique before (i.e. Gilbart from San Jose, DT from USC, even Mitch King from Iowa). I've seen with my own eyes that Brace can play NT. DT in a 4-3 and DE in a 3-4 r different positions technique wise. A NT is a NT no matter what, especially when u r that big.

All of this a moot point anyway now, I think we take a WR with that 2nd pick.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Ceasaleo88;2671721 said:
Umm let's see... Right off the top of my head Baltimore, NY Giants, St. Louis, Philly all had pretty big games against us running. And I think all 4 of those games were crucial losses. That basically killed our chances at the playoffs. A bigger presence in the middle would have helped there.

Like I said earlier no he won't collapse the pocket as well as Ratliff, but we won't need him to do that. With the loss of Canty. We need another DL, who can start right away. I'd rather take Brace and throw him in at NT, sliding Ratliff to DE taking Canty's spot. Sliding Ratliff to DE makes it easier for him to get inside pressure, because he won't be double teamed as much, because he'll have a massive guy who has to be double teamed on one side and Demarcus or Spencer on the other side.

Instead of using the pick on a guy we think can play the 3-4 DE cuz he has the size, but has never played the technique before (i.e. Gilbart from San Jose, DT from USC, even Mitch King from Iowa). I've seen with my own eyes that Brace can play NT. DT in a 4-3 and DE in a 3-4 r different positions technique wise. A NT is a NT no matter what, especially when u r that big.

All of this a moot point anyway now, I think we take a WR with that 2nd pick.

Those plays came on the edges....

Ceasaleo88

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2671739 said:
Those plays came on the edges....

Let's go to the videotape...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFodpSwgK0Q
Looks like that was right up the middle, they had some trapping action with the guard, but yea that's right up the gut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GucqeOAezDE&feature=related
Once again straight up the gut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ2cJN0fuqo
watch at about the 40 sec mark and again at 1:11 mark, both TD's, both up the middle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHN-XDZTvEw
u see the huge push that they get right up the MIDDLE

Maybe u didn't watch whole games, I don't know, but I saw it happen a good amount of times last year, because Ratliff wore down. Let's save him and move him to DE and get a big body in there.