The South Got "Tapped" Out!

Reaction score
I really try to be objective when analyzing talent, but, as most of us who attempt to do so realize, there seems to be that one guy who jumps out at you and you can't take your eyes off of him.

So, try as I may, I just couldn't keep my eyes from drifting to #55 for the North defense. Seemed like every other play, he was in the backfield creating havoc. Yes, folks, Darryl Tapp has me hooked. This is the kind of player you have in mind when you say, "we've gotta improve the pass rush", or "we need more playmakers on the defense that the opponent's offense has to account for on every play". I have to be honest & say that Tapp wasn't even on my radar screen until ESPN started showing the Senior Bowl practices. Then, I watched this guy from Virginia Tech give D'Brickashaw Ferguson fits in drills. What?! It was during this time that they showed a tape of Tapp beating D'Brick several times to get to the QB during the last game between their respective teams.

During the game, I then watched as Tapp took Eric Winston outside, then inside, beating him both times. "This guy is not a one trick pony", I thought. Not only was he constantly harassing the QB, but had a couple of nice stops on the RB.

Then, on the first pass play beginning of the second half, I watched Tapp get doubled by the LT & RB, with the LG coming over to make sure the job was done. Three on one? That told me everything I needed to know about who the South coachs thought was the man they had to account for. Later in the game, he schooled Jon Scott. Ferguson, Winston, & Scott-three of the best LTs in the draft all beaten by this guy.

Need a little more prodding? Here are Tapp's stats for the 2005 season:
48 Tkls., 14.5 TFL, 10 Sacks, 35 QB Hurries?....Thirty five?, 3 FF.
Now, I would love stats like those for a 16 game season, let alone 10-12 games!

I know, Tamba Hali had a great game also, but he is determined to keep his hand down. Mark Anderson came on late, and he is another intriguiging player. However, I didn't see either of them getting triple teamed.

I'm now looking forward to the Combine, where I pray the guy can cover so he can convert to OLB. If he practices coverage with the same passion & motor that he rushes the passer with, I have no doubt he can do it.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Cogan said:
I really try to be objective when analyzing talent, but, as most of us who attempt to do so realize, there seems to be that one guy who jumps out at you and you can't take your eyes off of him.

So, try as I may, I just couldn't keep my eyes from drifting to #55 for the North defense. Seemed like every other play, he was in the backfield creating havoc. Yes, folks, Darryl Tapp has me hooked. This is the kind of player you have in mind when you say, "we've gotta improve the pass rush", or "we need more playmakers on the defense that the opponent's offense has to account for on every play". I have to be honest & say that Tapp wasn't even on my radar screen until ESPN started showing the Senior Bowl practices. Then, I watched this guy from Virginia Tech give D'Brickashaw Ferguson fits in drills. What?! It was during this time that they showed a tape of Tapp beating D'Brick several times to get to the QB during the last game between their respective teams.

During the game, I then watched as Tapp took Eric Winston outside, then inside, beating him both times. "This guy is not a one trick pony", I thought. Not only was he constantly harassing the QB, but had a couple of nice stops on the RB.

Then, on the first pass play beginning of the second half, I watched Tapp get doubled by the LT & RB, with the LG coming over to make sure the job was done. Three on one? That told me everything I needed to know about who the South coachs thought was the man they had to account for. Later in the game, he schooled Jon Scott. Ferguson, Winston, & Scott-three of the best LTs in the draft all beaten by this guy.

Need a little more prodding? Here are Tapp's stats for the 2005 season:
48 Tkls., 14.5 TFL, 10 Sacks, 35 QB Hurries?....Thirty five?, 3 FF.
Now, I would love stats like those for a 16 game season, let alone 10-12 games!

I know, Tamba Hali had a great game also, but he is determined to keep his hand down. Mark Anderson came on late, and he is another intriguiging player. However, I didn't see either of them getting triple teamed.

I'm now looking forward to the Combine, where I pray the guy can cover so he can convert to OLB. If he practices coverage with the same passion & motor that he rushes the passer with, I have no doubt he can do it.
I'm on the Darryl Tapp bandwagon. He was doing this in one on one's in practice as well.

And the guy was abusing top OT's in the draft. I swear, if this guy can play OLB, I will change my mind on this entire draft.

I watched that game twice already, and he keeps getting over looked, but that is a HUGE MISTAKE. I love love love Lawson, but Tapp is constantly in the QB's face, and that's what you need every down.

ddh33

Reaction score
Tapp won't have the impressive measureables, so that could cause him to drop. He is productive though.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
For those of you interested, I took the liberty to go back over the recorded senior bowl game and see how Tapp stacked up in the pass rushing department.

1. 9:15 1st Qtr - Mr slow Tapp ran around Eric Winston while swatting his hands away, enroute to forcing the QB to throw the ball away.

2. 14:30 2nd Qtr- Tapp made an outside fake on OT Eric Winston and moved quickly inside to flush the QB out of the pocket, causing the QB to throw an interception. (QB pressure does that)

3. 0:48 2nd Qtr - Marcus Mcneill was burned so badly by Tapp, he was in position to make a deflected pass. Tapp made a lightening fast inside move on McNeill (all world McNeill) and darn near took the QB's head off - so the QB just flung the ball out there causing a defender to deflect the pass right back into the hands of Mcneill for no gain. Meanwhile, (All everything)Tamba Hali was on the other side somewhat abusing the well known *cough cough* T Albert Toeaina.

4. 14:04 3rd Qtr - "All Universe" Jonathan Scott tries to low cut Tapp and wound up cutting air. (Tapp jumped right out of that cut block) It was a quick throw though (no impact)

5. 13:49 3rd Qtr - Tapp was tripple teamed on a quick throw (wow!) Why tripple team a fat slow slobb in a senior practice bowl game?

5b. 8:44 3rd Qtr - Mark Anderson faked out all Universe Ferguson and destroyed the QB. (just thought I'd add that little tid bit in there :) )

6. **This one is unbelievable** 2:53 3rd Qtr - Tamba Hali gets around (no one) to smash the QB inches before Tapp did with Jonathan Scott on Tapp. Hali was unblocked on the play, and still Tapp got there inches late. Had Hali been blocked, Tapp would've had the sack.

7. 1:12 3rd Qtr - Tapp made a hard inside move on Eric Winsotn which took his momentum around towards the middle of the line where he shot straight up the middle missing the QB by a split second.

8. 14:20 4th Qtr - Tapp showed a tripple move on Eric Winston and got around the corner and actually grabbed the QB as he was throwing a touchdown pass. It took 3 seconds to get to the QB.
Meanwhile, at the 11:49 mark in the 4th Qtr, Tali has the comfort of getting another sack by going thru the almighty 253 pound TE T.J. Williams. (i'll bet Tapp was jealous)

9. 5:39 4th Qtr - Tapp Vs. McNeill - Tapp takes McNeill wide, then beats him to the inside but was a step late before the QB throws the ball.

All in all, we have possibly been looking at the wrong Linebacker. I wonder if Tapp could move quick enough to cover zone on passing downs, and stop runners in the open field?

I'm telling you all, this guy can get to the QB or atleast cause the QB to do some erratic passing. If he has any agility, he is the one to get 1st round.

If we pass on this guy, and we pick up Eric Winston,Jonathan Scott, or Mcneill, he will own us.

ddh33

Reaction score
My question about Tapp is his ability to drop back in coverage and move smoothly there? If he can do that, he's more interesting to me.

Reaction score
Even though I'm from Virginia...I am NO Hookies fan but Tapp can flat out play ladies and gents. I would love to see him work at LB!!

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
I've liked what I've seen of Tapp, but I'd rather have an OLB opposite Ware that has played the position and not another one we'd have to hit with a learning curve again. So if someone is suggesting taking him at 18, I've gotta vote to pass.

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
For those of you interested, I took the liberty to go back over the recorded senior bowl game and see how Tapp stacked up in the pass rushing department.

1. 9:15 1st Qtr - Mr slow Tapp ran around Eric Winston while swatting his hands away, enroute to forcing the QB to throw the ball away.

2. 14:30 2nd Qtr- Tapp made an outside fake on OT Eric Winston and moved quickly inside to flush the QB out of the pocket, causing the QB to throw an interception. (QB pressure does that)

3. 0:48 2nd Qtr - Marcus Mcneill was burned so badly by Tapp, he was in position to make a deflected pass. Tapp made a lightening fast inside move on McNeill (all world McNeill) and darn near took the QB's head off - so the QB just flung the ball out there causing a defender to deflect the pass right back into the hands of Mcneill for no gain. Meanwhile, (All everything)Tamba Hali was on the other side somewhat abusing the well known *cough cough* T Albert Toeaina.

4. 14:04 3rd Qtr - "All Universe" Jonathan Scott tries to low cut Tapp and wound up cutting air. (Tapp jumped right out of that cut block) It was a quick throw though (no impact)

5. 13:49 3rd Qtr - Tapp was tripple teamed on a quick throw (wow!) Why tripple team a fat slow slobb in a senior practice bowl game?

5b. 8:44 3rd Qtr - Mark Anderson faked out all Universe Ferguson and destroyed the QB. (just thought I'd add that little tid bit in there :) )

6. **This one is unbelievable** 2:53 3rd Qtr - Tamba Hali gets around (no one) to smash the QB inches before Tapp did with Jonathan Scott on Tapp. Hali was unblocked on the play, and still Tapp got there inches late. Had Hali been blocked, Tapp would've had the sack.

7. 1:12 3rd Qtr - Tapp made a hard inside move on Eric Winsotn which took his momentum around towards the middle of the line where he shot straight up the middle missing the QB by a split second.

8. 14:20 4th Qtr - Tapp showed a tripple move on Eric Winston and got around the corner and actually grabbed the QB as he was throwing a touchdown pass. It took 3 seconds to get to the QB.
Meanwhile, at the 11:49 mark in the 4th Qtr, Tali has the comfort of getting another sack by going thru the almighty 253 pound TE T.J. Williams. (i'll bet Tapp was jealous)

9. 5:39 4th Qtr - Tapp Vs. McNeill - Tapp takes McNeill wide, then beats him to the inside but was a step late before the QB throws the ball.

All in all, we have possibly been looking at the wrong Linebacker. I wonder if Tapp could move quick enough to cover zone on passing downs, and stop runners in the open field?

I'm telling you all, this guy can get to the QB or atleast cause the QB to do some erratic passing. If he has any agility, he is the one to get 1st round.

If we pass on this guy, and we pick up Eric Winston,Jonathan Scott, or Mcneill, he will own us.

My man. Wow is all I can say. You saw exactly what I saw, and what moved me to create this thread. Once I started honing in on him, Tapp showed me amazing move after amazing move. As I & my man Cowboy_love_4ever so adequately put it, the player has a multitude of moves already in his repertoire-that's "bag of tricks" for you Eagles fans. :laugh2: Even if he only shows mediocre coverage skills right now, he has the athletic ability and the desire to be great at everything he does. Like my man says, "We pass on this guy for any one of the OLs that he schooled, & he will come back to haunt us"....guaranteed!

Reaction score
Dayton_Cowboy said:
I've liked what I've seen of Tapp, but I'd rather have an OLB opposite Ware that has played the position and not another one we'd have to hit with a learning curve again. So if someone is suggesting taking him at 18, I've gotta vote to pass.

Well, I can almost guarantee you he won't be there at #50. Just better hope he isn't drafted by an NFC East team. If he can make D'brick & every other OT in the draft look foolish, I don't see anyone we have stopping him. Besides, why would we have an OLB with his kind of rushing skills covering backs out of the backfield? Just let him level the RB on his way to the QB...hehe.
Seriously, though, with attacking defenses like the Pats or Steelers, you don't see the OLBs doing a lot of coverage. Their 3-4s are more like 5-2s. The Pats drafted Ryan Claridge last year in the 5th rd. because he had 18.5 career sacks, not because he could cover. Let's just line up 5 on the line, & just attack. Let the ILBs or Safeties handle coverage.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Cogan said:
Well, I can almost guarantee you he won't be there at #50. Just better hope he isn't drafted by an NFC East team. If he can make D'brick & every other OT in the draft look foolish, I don't see anyone we have stopping him. Besides, why would we have an OLB with his kind of rushing skills covering backs out of the backfield? Just let him level the RB on his way to the QB...hehe.
Seriously, though, with attacking defenses like the Pats or Steelers, you don't see the OLBs doing a lot of coverage. Their 3-4s are more like 5-2s. The Pats drafted Ryan Claridge last year in the 5th rd. because he had 18.5 career sacks, not because he could cover. Let's just line up 5 on the line, & just attack. Let the ILBs or Safeties handle coverage.

The word on Tapp is that, he doesn't have the hips or fluidity to be LB. Apparently they tried at VT and he wasn't good at it.

My Guess, is, unless its in 2nd round, you can't have a guy, who is basically a Nickle pass rusher. Under 4-3, he probably would a very good pass rusher. I really doubt his ability to hold the point of attack. I saw him go against Eric Winston when they played Miami and he didn't have that much of agame against him.

All in all, Tapp seems to be a very good player, but from what I saw in the games I watched, for some reason he left me something to be desired, probably I guess I was expecting to see a Dwight Freeney clone. And he is not that, IMO.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Cogan said:
If someone does it every now and then, okay.... But play after play after play, he was constantly making moves and some how getting around these big guys.

In practice, he freaking bull rushed guys constantly. This is what I say...

Trade down a little, towards the 25th pick and pick up another 3rd. Get the guy around the 25thish range, and in move him to OLB. When he plays that position, he will constantly either blitz, zone coverage (not man on man) or get down in a 3 point stand and rush the QB on known passing downs.

I'm telling you people, and you all know I've been harping on Lawson (which I still like) on Carpenter (which I still like) and guys like that all month long.

But the proof speaks for itself and I'm glad my man Cogan could see it too. My thing is, the guy isn't popular around here for some reason. He's not SEXY in the sports world.

We're all enamored with the speedy guys and the cute names and height/weight junk, and right under our eyes is a person that can consistantly get to the QB like I've not seen except for a few in the pros.

He was going up against TOP TIER talent. And in practice, he was going against all world talent. And he dominated in both. But the TV guys didn't speak on him much and the fans around here won't even bring up his name.

I would not have him playing deep off the ball at all, just in a small zone every now and then. The running game wouldn't suffer, because if 315 pounders couldn't stand him up, how do you suppose a FB or TE is going to get in his way.

The best news of all is, if we ever decide to go back to a 4-3, he would dominate there too, and on 3rd down, look for an all out assault.