The Steele thing (and to some extent the Gallup thing)

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Here's where I am with guys coming back from injury who are getting beat to hell like Steele was yesterday or who are a shell of themselves like Gallup is.. As a coaching staff you have to be able to go to the player and say "Look son, I know you're giving it everything you got, but the injury is still holding you back.. Why don't you sit a spell and see if the other guy can git er done." They did it with Tolbert in place of Gallup yesterday and it paid dividends. I think at some point they should have plugged Edoga in for Steele. I know continuity is everything on the offensive line but at some point you gotta make a change before your 40 million dollar QB gets killed. They should have done it with Zeke in 2021 and Gallup last year. But this staff repeated shows a glaring unwillingness to sit hurt guys who are not performing. That absolutely HAS to change.

Xeven

Reaction score
Here's where I am with guys coming back from injury who are getting beat to hell like Steele was yesterday or who are a shell of themselves like Gallup is.. As a coaching staff you have to be able to go to the player and say "Look son, I know you're giving it everything you got, but the injury is still holding you back.. Why don't you sit a spell and see if the other guy can git er done." They did it with Tolbert in place of Gallup yesterday and it paid dividends. I think at some point they should have plugged Edoga in for Steele. I know continuity is everything on the offensive line but at some point you gotta make a change before your 40 million dollar QB gets killed. They should have done it with Zeke in 2021 and Gallup last year. But this staff repeated shows a glaring unwillingness to sit hurt guys who are not performing. That absolutely HAS to change.
Faster changes a must. If guy is struggling, put him on the bench and next guy up.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
“Give it up for Ol’ Jerrah boys! We done come out like a Blue Tag Special with the extensions on Gallup and Steele! High fives all around!”

giphy.gif

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Add that issue to the growing list of dysfunctional things this organization does.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Gallup drop was unreal. He was looking upfield at the big empty area. He makes that catch at that point in the game and he had a lot of YAC in front of him and would have came at a great time. He just is not the same. Dropping easy catches. I think the staff maybe done with him. Steele should be much better next year. But with him giving up that many pressures and sacks in yesterdays game then I blame MM for not pulling him. Or at least giving him help on his side. Not to mention the penalties that are unacceptable. Ruins drives. And games..

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The money usually will play in Dallas. All the former Cowboys on various podcasts echo this.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Gallup drop was unreal. He was looking upfield at the big empty area. He makes that catch at that point in the game and he had a lot of YAC in front of him and would have came at a great time. He just is not the same. Dropping easy catches. I think the staff maybe done with him. Steele should be much better next year. But with him giving up that many pressures and sacks in yesterdays game then I blame MM for not pulling him. Or at least giving him help on his side. Not to mention the penalties that are unacceptable. Ruins drives. And games..
The thing is, there were plenty of advanced metrics that suggested Gallup wasn't really an above average receiver even before the injury. This front office is just bad at self-evaluation and making logical decisions, probably because the owner is an alcoholic moron who accidentally dug the right hole in the ground half a century ago and now thinks he's a genius.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Steele has always been a crappy pass blocker.

There might be an element of the injury, but he's never been particularly good at it.

Sounds like a problem that the top brass and OL coaches should have done something about a long time ago. Tell you what, if you are not good at your job, let’s see how long before they fire you. Only in sports.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The Jones klan has zero foresight. You knew Tyron was on his last leg, why not draft a tackle high on your board 2 years ago? You should be drafting linemen on both sides EVERY year.

tomokawan

Reaction score
They should have gave him help and/or rolled Dak out to the left side. I don't understand not making any blocking adjustments. Chez Green part 2.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Faster changes a must. If guy is struggling, put him on the bench and next guy up.
Yeah I've never understood the "going down with the Titanic" some coaching staffs have about changing out players who are struggling. Some coaches don't give a rip and put somebody else in at the drop of a hat while others will watch a guy crash and burn and then say "Yeah maybe we should have made a change" in the press conference. Sometimes a couple series on the bench will piss a guy off to the point that when he comes back in he will tear his man's head off before getting beat again!

Gambit

Reaction score
Has Edgoa ever played Right side of line, asking because I honestly don't know.

I think a lot of issues on line are Solari.

From scheme, to players available to fit scheme. It certainly has affected our run game negatively.

Gallup has been playing poorly all year, finally seeing Tolbert get more time and opportunities, same can be said about Cooks too, not sure why he's not getting more looks/catches

Reaction score
Steele has always been a crappy pass blocker.

There might be an element of the injury, but he's never been particularly good at it.
The cowboys don't like to put much work into their OL, just like Biadasz, Steele is "close enough" so they signed him and returned their focus to their favorite toys,,, TEs and WRs.

tm1119

Reaction score
If it was just Reddick beating Steele outside with speed I could see the injury excuse…but when 35 year Brandon Graham (who had .5 sacks going into the game) just overwhelms you and wrecks the final drive of the game it’s real tough to blame the injury.

Motorola

Reaction score
...same can be said about Cooks too, not sure why he's not getting more looks/catches
Cowboys received many kudos for signing him.
Yesterday- 2 targets, 1 catch for 7 yards
Season-to -date...7 games = 29 targets, 17 recs, 165 yds, 2 TDs

Gambit

Reaction score
Cowboys received many kudos for signing him.
Yesterday- 2 targets, 1 catch for 7 yards
Season-to -date...7 games = 29 targets, 17 recs, 165 yds, 2 TDs
Right. Something is off there.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There was a pass play during the second half in which Steele's opponent was slowly walking him back into the pocket. In the slow-motion replay, which was really focused on Dak, Steele takes his eyes off his opponent and is seen checking the ground around his feet. As it turns out, there was a player on the ground near Steele's feet.

It is a small thing, but it seems as though Steele may still be lacking confidence in his knee. Maybe it is a mental thing with his knee.

Steele has been a good RT over the years. His has a good work ethic and has been a road grader in the road game.

I think he'll come good and the comparisons to Chaz Green are unwarranted and an over-reaction.