The Steele thing (and to some extent the Gallup thing)

Praxit

Reaction score
..yesterday, at least taking a chance and switching Steele with Edoga, could have been all the difference.

But MM chanced it, and lost.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
There was a pass play during the second half in which Steele's opponent was slowly walking him back into the pocket. In the slow-motion replay, which was really focused on Dak, Steele takes his eyes off his opponent and is seen checking the ground around his feet. As it turns out, there was a player on the ground near Steele's feet.

It is a small thing, but it seems as though Steele may still be lacking confidence in his knee. Maybe it is a mental thing with his knee.

Steele has been a good RT over the years. His has a good work ethic and has been a road grader in the road game.

I think he'll come good and the comparisons to Chaz Green are unwarranted and an over-reaction.
Steele as a rookie was one of the worst OL I've ever seen. At his BEST he's a league average RT. At what he is now you can't keep him on the field. As noted above, Steele has always sucked to varying degrees and to blame it all on the injury is not being honest.

Cmac

Reaction score
Here's where I am with guys coming back from injury who are getting beat to hell like Steele was yesterday or who are a shell of themselves like Gallup is.. As a coaching staff you have to be able to go to the player and say "Look son, I know you're giving it everything you got, but the injury is still holding you back.. Why don't you sit a spell and see if the other guy can git er done." They did it with Tolbert in place of Gallup yesterday and it paid dividends. I think at some point they should have plugged Edoga in for Steele. I know continuity is everything on the offensive line but at some point you gotta make a change before your 40 million dollar QB gets killed. They should have done it with Zeke in 2021 and Gallup last year. But this staff repeated shows a glaring unwillingness to sit hurt guys who are not performing. That absolutely HAS to change.
RonnieT24......I'd say how about improving the scouting and draft room. We seem to suffer a bit with "Next man up" theme. I'd add Jourdan Lewis to the "not quite ready yet" player, but the depth power is stretched the moment an injury occurs. I'd clearly fault the draft room for completely ignoring HBCU talent or smaller schools. You nailed the beginning demise of Zeke......continually running your featured back with a bad knee didn't make any logic at all. Fully agree, it HAS to change.

Think about this: Erik Williams - Central State, Leon Lett - Emporia State, and Larry Allen - Sonoma State, Nate Newton - FAMU, Tony Tolbert - UTEP, and "ball hawks" come to mind immediately.......under Jimmy Johnson. Maybe Jerry is trying to convince himself he can find talent better than Jimmy too, since he's been thinking.......for all these years.......anybody could coach his team.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Gallup drop was unreal. He was looking upfield at the big empty area. He makes that catch at that point in the game and he had a lot of YAC in front of him and would have came at a great time. He just is not the same. Dropping easy catches. I think the staff maybe done with him. Steele should be much better next year. But with him giving up that many pressures and sacks in yesterdays game then I blame MM for not pulling him. Or at least giving him help on his side. Not to mention the penalties that are unacceptable. Ruins drives. And games..
Gallup is gone after this year. Unfortunately we are stuck with Steele.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Gallup drop was unreal. He was looking upfield at the big empty area. He makes that catch at that point in the game and he had a lot of YAC in front of him and would have came at a great time. He just is not the same. Dropping easy catches. I think the staff maybe done with him. Steele should be much better next year. But with him giving up that many pressures and sacks in yesterdays game then I blame MM for not pulling him. Or at least giving him help on his side. Not to mention the penalties that are unacceptable. Ruins drives. And games..
Its not even mental , focus issues, doesnt help to pay players coming out of major injury before you can prove you are fully back . Or the hunger is not there anymore.