***The Super Duper Swag Johnny Football teen beat thread***

IAmLegend

Reaction score
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/files/2013/05/TEXAS_A_M_SPRING_FOOTBALL_30613017.jpg

It makes sense that football fans in Texas, especially Texas A&M fans, would like to see Johnny Manziel as the future quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.

If Manziel has the type of Heisman Trophy-season he did last year, there’s a good chance that he’ll leave Texas A&M after his sophomore season and enter the 2014 NFL Draft. If that happens, it’s very possible that he would be drafted in the first round and maybe within one of the first few picks.

Would the Cowboys be interested in spending their 2014 first-round pick on a quarterback after recently giving Tony Romo a six-year, $108 million contract extension?

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones was asked that Wednesday during a conference call with season-ticket holders.

“Although we’ve just signed Romo, there’s a time when you start at quarterback, preparing for the future,” Jones explained. “We can’t talk about, I’m forbidden, from league rules of talking at all about an undrafted player, a player that still has eligibility. That has as much to do with your competitive aspect of other teams not liking that. In other words, what are you doing? Are you trying to recruit? Are you getting ahead of things?

“I can’t talk about him but, gosh, do I enjoy watching him and I am enjoying our Heisman Trophy winner.”

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...s-would-be-interested-in-johnny-manziel.html/

Not sure if anyone saw this but I thought it was interesting. A LOT of time left before next years draft and so many unforeseen variables to occur obviously, but this would be a dream come true tbh. If he has another great season and elects to go pro, and we have a chance to draft him, I think we absolutely should go for it. His passing is improving every month it seems and this guy has the "It" factor. Great accuracy and underrated arm strength (watch highlights from ATM's Spring game in April). Just my 2 cents, but it sounds like Jerry likes him and we all know he loves to make a splash. Johnny Manziel in a Cowboys uni just seems like destiny to me (my sig says it all).

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Here's highlights from ATM's Spring Game last month. His arm strength has improved a lot since the beginning of last season, and his accuracy has always been his strength along with improving plays.

His highlights start at 0:33.
-Another great throw at 1:55.
-TD throw at 2:16.
-Run at 2:39.

[youtube]p9Jf-9CCJ9E[/youtube]

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He'd need to develop as a pocket passer before I'd ever want him in Dallas.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everybody should like watching Johnny the college football player; however, projecting him as an NFL QB is a completely different issue. He is 6'0, 200 (maybe less). His arm strength is probably good enough, but it's not great by NFL standards.

As far as the Cowboys are concerned, drafting a QB in the 1st round of the 2014 draft might be dumber than anything that they've done in the past and that bar is already set really low. They Cowboys need to use all resources to win now with Romo.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
A little bit better arm talent, but he's Tebow lite. I don't know how well his game translates to the NFL.

tantrix1969

Reaction score
Future;5090354 said:
A little bit better arm talent, but he's Tebow lite. I don't know how well his game translates to the NFL.

He does have alot to improve this season but he's leaps and bounds further than Tebow in being close to a NFL ready qb

tm1119

Reaction score
Future;5090354 said:

Lol are you serious? A little better arm talent than Tim Tebow? That's equivalent to saying Tony Romo has a little better arm talent than Quincy Carter.

No idea why everyone feels the need to put Manziel in the box of a gimmick QB. Is he going to be able to run and scramble the way he does in college in the NFL? Of course not. But the kid has more than adequate arm strength and is very accurate college QB (68% on over 400 attempts is no joke). His ability to throw on the run will make up for his less than ideal height as well. I'm not saying he's sure fire pro bowl #1 overall pick status or anything, but Tim Tebow? Come on now, just ridiculous.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Jerry should like him. The guy is a phenom. I think people still underestimate him because he's a smallish white guy who at first glance doesn't look like anything special. But he's a tremendous athlete. His feel for the rush and escapability reminds me a lot of Romo, actually. But he's a far better runner.

His biggest question, really, will probably be his want-to and work ethic at the next level.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If he gets drafted by the cowboys Johnny next year be ready for media quarterback controversy and a tebow like circus.

I see no way he gets drafted by Dallas next year unless its around round 5.

Now if we were headed into year 3 or 4 of Romo's extension then I think I may feel differently.

But drafting him after this season but would be inviting a whole lot of unnecessary fan and media scrutiny

IAmLegend

Reaction score
tm1119;5090375 said:
Lol are you serious? A little better arm talent than Tim Tebow? That's equivalent to saying Tony Romo has a little better arm talent than Quincy Carter.

No idea why everyone feels the need to put Manziel in the box of a gimmick QB. Is he going to be able to run and scramble the way he does in college in the NFL? Of course not. But the kid has more than adequate arm strength and is very accurate college QB (68% on over 400 attempts is no joke). His ability to throw on the run will make up for his less than ideal height as well. I'm not saying he's sure fire pro bowl #1 overall pick status or anything, but Tim Tebow? Come on now, just ridiculous.

This. He's not getting enough credit on here. He's a much better natural passer than Tebow ever was. Tebow's wind-up and delivery have always been slow and elongated. Johnny's accuracy is great, leaps and bounds better than Tebow. He's got great instincts. And he's only 20. We'd develop him behind Romo for at least 2 years, maybe more. So he'd be roughly 24 or 25 when he took over. Makes perfect sense to me.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Vanilla2;5090405 said:
If he gets drafted by the cowboys Johnny next year be ready for media quarterback controversy and a tebow like circus.

I see no way he gets drafted by Dallas next year unless its around round 5.

Now if we were headed into year 3 or 4 of Romo's extension then I think I may feel differently.

But drafting him after this season but would be inviting a whole lot of unnecessary fan and media scrutiny

Jerry loves attention.. and there wouldn't be any controversy imo. Romo is the QB of this team until he retires, period. Romo's the QB we're going to win with now if we are to win. Manziel would be a developmental QB to replace Romo 2-3 down the road, similar to what Green Bay did with Rodgers. There's a huge advantage imo for QB's who get to develop for 2-3 years before starting than those who get thrown into the fire. There's a good chance it doesn't happen, but I'm just saying that I think it should.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;5090376 said:
Jerry should like him. The guy is a phenom. I think people still underestimate him because he's a smallish white guy who at first glance doesn't look like anything special. But he's a tremendous athlete. His feel for the rush and escapability reminds me a lot of Romo, actually. But he's a far better runner.

His biggest question, really, will probably be his want-to and work ethic at the next level.

I think he does want to be great. He's only 20, so some of his off-the-field stuff is to be expected imo. He just seems like a gamer, a guy who thoroughly enjoys it, and unlike Tebow, he doesn't have all the issues with the mechanics and throwing motion.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
IAmLegend;5090409 said:
Jerry loves attention.. and there wouldn't be any controversy imo. Romo is the QB of this team until he retires, period. Romo's the QB we're going to win with now if we are to win. Manziel would be a developmental QB to replace Romo 2-3 down the road, similar to what Green Bay did with Rodgers. There's a huge advantage imo for QB's who get to develop for 2-3 years before starting than those who get thrown into the fire. There's a good chance it doesn't happen, but I'm just saying that I think it should.

All this seems fine and dandy, but deep down you know it's not true.

Let manziel sit behind Romo and let Romo have a poor stretch and see what happens.

Grooming someone now for 3-4 years down the line would be a waste as I don't see Romo fading away at that point.

Now if this were 2015 or 16 you'd have an argument.

Right now it'd be a waste of a higher draft pick that should used elsewhere.

DE to be precise.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IAmLegend;5090409 said:
Manziel would be a developmental QB to replace Romo 2-3 down the road, similar to what Green Bay did with Rodgers.
He would almost be a Free Agent by the time he becomes a starter. Then the team would be in the position of having to decide if they wanted to give him a big contract.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Think maybe he compares to Drew Brees coming out? Both had size and arm strength questions.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
xwalker;5090327 said:
As far as the Cowboys are concerned, drafting a QB in the 1st round of the 2014 draft might be dumber than anything that they've done in the past and that bar is already set really low. They Cowboys need to use all resources to win now with Romo.

As someone who was in favor of re-signing Romo, even at the figure that he was signed at, if we miss the playoffs again next year, it will be hard to critisize drafting a QB as long as it's a good value.

I personally don't think Manziel will be a good value for any team that missed the playoffs (or likely any team in the first), but the concept will not be dumb if we miss the playoffs for the 4th straight year.

Eskimo

Reaction score
I think people are down on the kid because the other short, white running QBs didn't make it in the NFL - Tebow and Flutie. So white guys have to be pocket passers and if you want to be a scrambling QB who actually runs down the field you need to be black to have the athleticism to pull it off (Vick, Randall Cunningham, Cam Newton, RG3).

What leaps off of the page to me is his accuracy. He hits guys in stride 40-50 yards down the field. If you can do that with consistency then you have an NFL quality arm even if you're not Brett Favre. The part that he probably has to improve with is his mental clock to get rid of the ball - he'll still be very elusive in the NFL with his moves, pocket presence and speed but the NFL guys won't give him that kind of time to make throws. So he does need to speed up his reads and his mental clock but otherwise I see a first round QB out there on film.

RS12

Reaction score
First of all the marketing possibilities of JFB becoming a Cowboy is off the charts. Jerry is probably licking his chops just thinking about it. Second of all I think JFB will be a nice player in the league. Russell Wilson and Drew Brees are midgets by NFL standards and do just fine. The QB position in the NFL is alot about intangibles and I think JFB has those intangibles.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
Manziel is short, but I'm one of those who believes hand size is the important number for a QB when it comes to questions of size, and that just tends to correlate with height (shorter QB = smaller hands).

Considering that, Manziel has huge hands (he wears size 15 shoes - I haven't been able to find an 'official' hand measurement for him) and by more recent reports he's closer to 6'1" these days.

Just something to consider.