The Tony Romo choker myth

tecolote

Reaction score
Tony Romo is the highest rated fourth quarter qb in history, I'm sorry, but if we all can agree choking occurs during the 4th quarter, how can anybody say he is a choker?

Today's int was ugly, but he had an amazing game, so was the one agaist the skins last year and Detroit a couple of years ago, but how many others are there, really? I mean, he's had his share of clunkers, every qb does that, but how many of those have come in late game choker situations? The only other obvious one I can recall is the freaking Seahawks playoff game, the one that started all off this.

DFWJC

Reaction score
He was playing the Lions and Commanders games with busted up ribs (actually broken ribs in the Lions game). The Lions picks were in the 3rd. The Commander game was ugly all around.

This one was different as it really showed the potrntial when the QB had time. Heckuva game, but without the win its just a bunch of numbers.
How to you get 48 and lose?
Unreal.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
His team was down 14 points at one point this game. When you have to answer the opposing team twice in one game after being down 14? Tough to ask for a qb.

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
it won't go away til he wins a Super Bowl...look at Aaron Rodgers and the Packers they are absolutely terrible in close games...i think last time i check they were like 4-12 with games decided by 4 points or less but that SB makes him untouchable to that unclutch criticism...same with Manning he blew it last year against the Ravens untouchable when you have the ring...just remember how bad it was pre-ring for Manning

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
He was playing the Lions and Commanders games with busted up ribs (actually broken ribs in the Lions game). The Lions picks were in the 3rd. The Commander game was ugly all around.

This one was different as it really showed the potrntial when the QB had time. Heckuva game, but without the win its just a bunch of numbers.
Unreal.

How? The defense have up 51 that's how.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
I wish a poster would come up with the # of times in the past 4-5 years the defense has had a chance to make a stop to give the offense the ball back, or the amount of leads lost in the 4th quarter. It would be helpful to a lot of brain dead fans who just happen to have their eyes fixated on what #9 does & don't see a dang thing the other 44 active players do.

Gameover

Reaction score

Unreal.

Romo has had time..Not trying to pick a fight here, just keeping things honest. As you can make a case, early in this game, that was the worst the line has played all season.

To the op, not blaming Romo, but he has to finish the job one day. What if Jordan never finished the job? And Romo was Jordan today.

KB1122

Reaction score
The bobbled snap ....
The Jets game .......
The Lions game .....
The Commanders pick ....
Today's pick .....
The 0 for whatever in win-or-go-home games ....

Where would anyone get the idea that he's a choker?

Zman5

Reaction score
Romo has had time..Not trying to pick a fight here, just keeping things honest. As you can make a case, early in this game, that was the worst the line has played all season.

To the op, not blaming Romo, but he has to finish the job one day. What if Jordan never finished the job? And Romo was Jordan today.

Jordan didn't win anything until he got a real head coach (Phil Jackson) and teammates (Pippen and Grant) that helped him out.

Gameover

Reaction score
Jordan didn't win anything until he got a real head coach (Phil Jackson) and teammates (Pippen and Grant) that helped him out.

I give you defense, he has more than enough talent on O.

tecolote

Reaction score
The bobbled snap ....
The Jets game .......
The Lions game .....
The Commanders pick ....
Today's pick .....

I mentioned all of those but the Jets game in my original post. So you are basing him being a choker on 5 games?

Tobal

Reaction score
Name another QB who has played on a team with as poor a defense and won a Superbowl?

Mannings Indy defense was bad in the regular season, but played well in the playoffs. All the teams that have won Superbowls I can think of had defenses that could step up when needed and gets stops. The year we were 13-3 was probably our best defense of Tony's era and we ran into a Giant team that was on fire defensively, and Tony got no help from the offense that day, Craytons two gaffes come to mind quickly.

Tony isn't perfect, but if you were going to pick a QB to win a game with this team the past 7 yrs it would be a very short list of people you'd pick over him.

I love Troy Aikman but he'd never have won a Superbowl on any of these teams. He wasn't a gunslinger and he'd have died behind most of these Olines especially without a WR like Irvin that he had trust in.

This has a chance to be the best offense Tony has played with the Oline isn't as powerful as the 3-13 one, but it makes less mistakes. The defense has been horrid though.

Tobal

Reaction score
The bobbled snap ....
The Jets game .......
The Lions game .....
The Commanders pick ....
Today's pick .....

I could probably go back and find the same number of big gaffes by any QB who has played the game for very long. The 0 for whatever is as dumb as the froze your own kicker argument.

Ren

Reaction score
This was a game the sums up Romo's carer perfectly, recordbreaking, amazingly good but when you need him the most he chucks one in the triple coverage and loses the game. It's not a myth that it cost us the game last night

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score

Scottie Pippen was an NBA All-Defensive first-teamer for eight straight years (back when they still played defense). Eight straight. He could Dee up on a dead run like few others. Long, fast and athletic - he could break into a passing lane like a blur stealing your ball and your hopes... and shade an erstwhile gifted driver-to-the-hole, swatting away their offerings like puny mosquitoes at his shoulders. A very bad dude. In a good way.

So who will Pippen for Romo? 'Cuz we need them to step forward yesterday.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The bobbled snap ....
The Jets game .......
The Lions game .....
The Commanders pick ....
Today's pick .....

So when we beat the eagles for the NFC east division and then again in the playoffs back to back, those win or go home games mean zero i guess.

popp1234

Reaction score
So when we beat the eagles for the NFC east division and then again in the playoffs back to back, those win or go home games mean zero i guess.

If those games came down to a final drive with him having to not make a crucial mistake, he would probably have screwed that up too.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
it won't go away til he wins a Super Bowl...look at Aaron Rodgers and the Packers they are absolutely terrible in close games...i think last time i check they were like 4-12 with games decided by 4 points or less but that SB makes him untouchable to that unclutch criticism...same with Manning he blew it last year against the Ravens untouchable when you have the ring...just remember how bad it was pre-ring for Manning

Please stop with the comparison to Rodgers and Manning. Nothing against Romo but.........

perrykemp

Reaction score
Please stop with the comparison to Rodgers and Manning. Nothing against Romo but.........

Rodgers is clearly a better QB, however, I understand his point that had Rodgers not won that Superbowl, his critics would be hounding him absolute lack of success in close games and 4th quarter comebacks.

Aussie Cowboy

Reaction score
This was a game the sums up Romo's carer perfectly, recordbreaking, amazingly good but when you need him the most he chucks one in the triple coverage and loses the game. It's not a myth that it cost us the game last night

I haven't seen all the game as yet but it would seem that from some of the scrambles and buying time looking for an open receiver Romo at least kept us in the game if he in fact did cost us the game. How many of our recent QB's before Romo would have kept even close. On an unrelated side note has there ever been a game before with only 1 punt combined for the entire game like this game?