The Tony Romo choker myth

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
but he does win big games but when he wins they are put down as meaningless and it is only a big game when he loses

But the point still stands that people are not incorrect in their perception that he chokes in key situations, and he is the only one who can change that.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
But the point still stands that people are not incorrect in their perception that he chokes in key situations, and he is the only one who can change that.

Except that they are incorrect in their perception that he chokes in key situations.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Except that they are incorrect in their perception that he chokes in key situations.

No, he does choke in key situations ... just not as much as almost every other quarterback in NFL history. You won't find a QB who never chokes in key situations ... except those who don't play in key situations.

The perception is that he does it more often than most QBs, but the opposite is true.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
No, he does choke in key situations ... just not as much as almost every other quarterback in NFL history. You won't find a QB who never chokes in key situations ... except those who don't play in key situations.

The perception is that he does it more often than most QBs, but the opposite is true.

Honestly, I have no idea where he falls... probably somewhere around average. The hazy part is that Romo haters will turn early season AFC games into "key situations", but when Romo throws a touchdown with literally :00 on the clock to force overtime in Week 16, it's just another game. That's what makes it pointless to argue with Romo haters... they keep moving the goalposts until finally they just say, "Anyone without a ring stinks."

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The people who complain that Romo "always" chokes are the same ones who complain that we're "always" a .500 team that "always" plays close games.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The bobbled snap ....
The Jets game .......
The Lions game .....
The Commanders pick ....
Today's pick .....
The 0 for whatever in win-or-go-home games ....

Where would anyone get the idea that he's a choker?

You should stop. You are making a great argument FOR Romo.

You just listed a small handful of mostly random games outr of the 120+ games that he has played in.
It's a great example of how people recall screwups from so few games in the grand scheme of things, yet they blow them up to make it sound like it happens every other week.
And then they make up lies about him being oh-fer in this newly minted criteria called "win-and-go-home". Even if there really was such a thing, the statement is not true.

Just stop

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

I disagree with the perception. He has won many big games but of course with him, the big game is always the next one. Hell I remember when he beat the Saints in 2009, allegedly a big game, right away the next comment was, oh well let's see him do it against Washington.

Then when he won the playoff game, that allegedly was huge but when we lost the next week in Minnesota, again he was allegedly not clutch when it counted.

Even if he wins a SB which is unlikely, it will be, let's see him win a second before he loses the choke line.

Coy

Reaction score
We will NOT win a Super Bowl as long as Romo is the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.......and it pains me to say that as a life long Cowboy fan.
With all due respect, that is such a short sighted statement that it´s laughable, he may very well never win a ring but to say he is not capable of it it´s plain ridiculous, I am not saying he is Rodgers, Brees, Manning or Brady but put an average Defense around him or a decent running game or most of all a good HC and he would be competing for rings year in and year out.
You thin Eli, Flacco or Roethlisberger would have rings playing with the cowboys this past 6 years??? NO.
He just needs a better team/coach around him, that´s it.

Venger

Reaction score
It is no coincidence that Romo's pick came after a sack and on a play with again more pressure - add in the fact it was 2nd and 16, and the pressure to make a play is high. Add on it's our final possession in a big game, and the pressure is immense. We don't want a pick, but eating the ball to make it 3rd and 22 brings out the "you can't take a sack there" calls. So Romo throws a pass he can't step into to a place he cannot see well due to the collapsed front of the pocket and the ref blocking line of site to the LB, because he is desperate to make a play in a desperate situation, and... there you go. Bad toss? Yep. But understand we can't just eat it and try again on the next possession. Keep that in mind when asking why he made a risky throw.

Keep his half thousand yards of passing in mind too...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Voice of reason.

TTJJ

Reaction score
since 2010 i believe i saw today, romo has been tied (or up/down less than 7pts) in the 4th quarter and has thrown 8 pics to lead every qb in the nfl. they said peyton had zero. definition of choke.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score

Honestly, I have no idea where he falls... probably somewhere around average. The hazy part is that Romo haters will turn early season AFC games into "key situations", but when Romo throws a touchdown with literally :00 on the clock to force overtime in Week 16, it's just another game. That's what makes it pointless to argue with Romo haters... they keep moving the goalposts until finally they just say, "Anyone without a ring stinks."

You can brand people as "haters" for thinking he chokes in key situations all you like, it will not erase what has happened to earn Tony that perception. There is a reason that Brady, Manning, Brees and many others do not have that reputation and Tony does.

The finals minutes of a tie game and with your back against the goal line is the definition of a "key situation", regardless if it was against an AFC team. The last thing you can afford to do in that situation is turn the ball over, that is key. We can make excuses like someone stepped on his foot, but it was a bad read, trying to force the ball between three defenders, especially when he had Murray wide open right in front of him.

I'm not one who thinks Tony is a bad quarterback, or that he was the sole reason for the loss yesterday, but the fact is these same things have happened too often and the int yesterday just cemented the choke perception in the minds of many. I was, and still am actually a big Danny White fan, so I know how a QB can earn an undeserved reputation. It is a shame Danny is remembered that way and it will be a shame if Tony is as well. Both are/were great QB's who deserve better. Danny missed his chance to change his perception but it is not too late for Tony. As I said, Tony is the only one who can change it, not you, or I or anyone else. Once something is accepted as conventional wisdom, it is hard, but not impossible, to show them how they are wrong. To do so Tony has to stop making mistakes when the game is on the line because right or wrong, that is what the majority expect from him now.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
since 2010 i believe i saw today, romo has been tied (or up/down less than 7pts) in the 4th quarter and has thrown 8 pics to lead every qb in the nfl. they said peyton had zero. definition of choke.

What you saw was wrong. Philip Rivers leads every QB with 15 of them in those situations since 2010.

Also, Peyton has thrown two since 2010 -- in more than 150 fewer attempts than Romo. Plus, Peyton threw one in overtime that cost his team a game in 2010, but that doesn't count, right?

dallasdave

Reaction score
What you saw was wrong. Philip Rivers leads every QB with 15 of them in those situations since 2010.

Also, Peyton has thrown two since 2010 -- in more than 150 fewer attempts than Romo. Plus, Peyton threw one in overtime that cost his team a game in 2010, but that doesn't count, right?

Hey Adam, when are you going to do another thread for salaries and dead money for 2013 and years to come? Always enjoyed them in the past.

kevm3

Reaction score
I'm tired of the myth that 'Romo is carrying the team', 'everyone around Romo sucks', or the defense never gives him an opportunity. The SAME thing happened against the Commanders last year when we needed to win that game to make the play-offs. The defense gave romo the ball and a chance to win the game in the final minutes and he threw an interception.

Romo played lights out against Denver, but to act like he's been doing this all year and the defense has been getting lit up as teh sole reason we've been losing is dishonest. We got 6 turnovers against the giants, and the defense converted 2 of those into touchdowns. Even after 3 turnovers, the offense only converted that into 3 points. Against the chiefs, the defense held them to 17 points despite the chiefs having great field position in much of the game. Defense held the rams to 7 points. Defense got lit up against the Chargers, but you sure aren't going to win games if your offense only scores 2 touchdowns in 1 quarter.

We're talking about he's getting criticized because he's not won a superbowl. it goes past that. we haven't even made the playoffs consistently. It's not all of romo's fault, but to act like he's playing like peyton out there and the rest of the team sucks is extremely dishonest. Even with that colts team that ended up playing so bad that they drafted luck, peyton was regularly taking them to the playoffs.

TheFinisher

Reaction score
Bottom line is it was a tie game with 2 min left. At that point what you do in those 2 min is all that matters because that's what ultimately will decide the game. Doesn't matter if it was 48-48 or 3-3, find a way to go win it. He handed them the ball at our 24 yard line, sealed our fate.

This team, and Romo, continually find ways to lose games at the end. Throwing for 500 yards and 5 tds does not equal a W. I don't care about that. Go out and win the game.

burmafrd

Reaction score

Why since 2010?

Why not since his full first season as a starter 2007.

The reason is that his stats would be much better. That bit since 2010 is done by the haters to make their point by cherry picking the data.

By the way since 2010 has been the period where the O line has been the worst and the D has been the worst. But of course that is not mentioned by the haters.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I'm tired of the myth that 'Romo is carrying the team', 'everyone around Romo sucks', or the defense never gives him an opportunity. The SAME thing happened against the Redsk*ns last year when we needed to win that game to make the play-offs. The defense gave romo the ball and a chance to win the game in the final minutes and he threw an interception.

Romo played lights out against Denver, but to act like he's been doing this all year and the defense has been getting lit up as teh sole reason we've been losing is dishonest. We got 6 turnovers against the giants, and the defense converted 2 of those into touchdowns. Even after 3 turnovers, the offense only converted that into 3 points. Against the chiefs, the defense held them to 17 points despite the chiefs having great field position in much of the game. Defense held the rams to 7 points. Defense got lit up against the Chargers, but you sure aren't going to win games if your offense only scores 2 touchdowns in 1 quarter.

We're talking about he's getting criticized because he's not won a superbowl. it goes past that. we haven't even made the playoffs consistently. It's not all of romo's fault, but to act like he's playing like peyton out there and the rest of the team sucks is extremely dishonest. Even with that colts team that ended up playing so bad that they drafted luck, peyton was regularly taking them to the playoffs.

as usual - the SMALLEST reason for the Boys failures in the last few years is Romo but you and others try and make it the biggest reason. Pathetic.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Bottom line is it was a tie game with 2 min left. At that point what you do in those 2 min is all that matters because that's what ultimately will decide the game. Doesn't matter if it was 48-48 or 3-3, find a way to go win it. He handed them the ball at our 24 yard line, sealed our fate.

This team, and Romo, continually find ways to lose games at the end. Throwing for 500 yards and 5 tds does not equal a W. I don't care about that. Go out and win the game.

bottom line is always what the haters use. Always cherry pick facts and situations. Sad.