The Top 25 Head Coaches in NFL History

GenoT

Reaction score
+1
Ditto here too.
No Tuna Parcells ? That instantly loses a lot of credibility.
Plus a number of these named HC's i've never even heard of.
Blantor Collier ? ..Curly Lambeau ?.. Buck Shaw ? Steve Owens ? .. Who .?
:huh:
Log onto Google and educate yourself.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
+1
Ditto here too.
No Tuna Parcells ? That instantly loses a lot of credibility.
Plus a number of these named HC's i've never even heard of.
Blantor Collier ? ..Curly Lambeau ?.. Buck Shaw ? Steve Owens ? .. Who .?
:huh:
Buck Shaw was a the only coach to beat Lombardi in a post-season game, winning the 1960 NFL title with the Eagles. (Yuck)

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Looking at winning percentage with a minimum of 100 games:

Rk __ Coach __ W-L%▼ __ Yr plyf
1 __ John Madden+ __ 0.759 __ 8
2 __ Vince Lombardi+ __ 0.738 __ 6
3 __ George Allen+ __ 0.712 __ 7
4 __ Blanton Collier __ 0.691 __ 5
5 __ Ray Flaherty+ __ 0.684 __ 6
6 __ Bill Belichick __ 0.683 __ 18
7 __ George Halas+ __ 0.682 __ 8
8 __ Don Shula+ __ 0.677 __ 19
9 __ Paul Brown+ __ 0.672 __ 15
10 __ Tony Dungy+ __ 0.668 __ 11
11 __ George Seifert __ 0.648 __ 7
12 __ Mike Tomlin __ 0.642 __ 8
13 __ Curly Lambeau+ __ 0.631 __ 5
14 __ Sean Payton __ 0.63 __ 8
15 __ Bill Cowher+ __ 0.623 __ 10
16 __ Bud Grant+ __ 0.621 __ 12
17 __ Joe Gibbs+ __ 0.621 __ 10
18 __ Buck Shaw __ 0.621 __ 2
19 __ Andy Reid __ 0.618 __ 15
20 __ Mike McCarthy __ 0.618 __ 9
21 __ John Harbaugh __ 0.615 __ 8
22 __ Marty Schottenheimer __ 0.613 __ 13
23 __ Bill Walsh+ __ 0.609 __ 7
24 __ Tom Landry+ __ 0.607 __ 18
25 __ Steve Owen+ __ 0.605 __ 10

"+" denotes HOF
Bold denotes current HC

21 of the 25 top HC's are either in the Hall of Fame or still currently coaching. it would be difficult to eliminate a current HC from future induction with maybe one or two exceptions.

One of those exceptions would be Mike McCarthy....for now.

However, one more Super Bowl championship for McCarthy....just one....gets him in. There is no way they could deny the only HC in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with two different teams. It's never been done.

It can't be said that McCarthy has little to be motivated and there he is, listed among the greatest of all time.

Can we make a list of the top 25 puppets of all time? :lmao2::lmao2::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I hear you, it doesn't take the circumstances into account. Tom Landry not only started with the Cowboys as an expansion team, they didn't even get to participate in the draft prior to their first season. Some HC's took over winning franchises. And, yes, I'm talking about Madden who took over the team in 1969. The year before they were 12-2 and the year before that they were 13-1.

When I titled it "Top Head Coaches" I didn't mean to imply they were the best and ranked accordingly. I just couldn't figure out a title that referred to the winning percentage so I included the information in the opening sentence. With that said, it is still a pretty impressive group and it is reassuring to see McCarthy's name in that group.

Under any circumstances, you want to win, that is what HC's are held accountable for, fair or not.

I guess you could have titled it The Top 25 Coaches Based on Their Winning Percentage. But like you said it wouldn't take into consideration Landry starting an expansion team or Madden taking over an already winning team. So I guess this was a waste and a foolish thread to start.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I mean, winning percentage should be one of the main ways to rank coaches... it's funny that people want to put W/L record on QBs, RBs, etc. but the one guy who really should be judged on that is somehow forgotten. Since the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl I would say that I would put number of Super Bowl wins as the most important, but after that I would say winning percentage would be second. It is literally the one thing coaches are responsible, not TD passes, not points, not turnovers... winning.
I would agree with you somewhat but somebody like Dungy who could only manage 1 Super Bowl victory with Peyton and Harrison and James-you can win a lot of regular season games with talent but when it gets to the playoffs you have to be a great coach too-I don’t think he should be even close to top 10’ pop

plasticman

Reaction score
I guess you could have titled it The Top 25 Coaches Based on Their Winning Percentage. But like you said it wouldn't take into consideration Landry starting an expansion team or Madden taking over an already winning team. So I guess this was a waste and a foolish thread to start.
If you were as astute and perceptive as you think you are, then you wouldn't find a need to insult and attempt to demean fellow posters. It's childish and it's rude.

If someone disagrees with anything I post then I have no problem accepting that. I will respect it far more if they provide a reasonable explanation or a counterpoint. In that case, they would be adding something positive to the discussion.

When you make personal comments like this, you subtract from this forum's reputation as a serious venue for Cowboys discussion. This is why the rule #8 states, "You will not personally attack or insult other members."

The last time we disagreed you noted that it would be better to end the discussion, a much wiser approach.

RS12

Reaction score
Blanton Collier a little surprising. Rep was riding Paul Browns coat tails.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If you were as astute and perceptive as you think you are, then you wouldn't find a need to insult and attempt to demean fellow posters. It's childish and it's rude.

If someone disagrees with anything I post then I have no problem accepting that. I will respect it far more if they provide a reasonable explanation or a counterpoint. In that case, they would be adding something positive to the discussion.

When you make personal comments like this, you subtract from this forum's reputation as a serious venue for Cowboys discussion. This is why the rule #8 states, "You will not personally attack or insult other members."

The last time we disagreed you noted that it would be better to end the discussion, a much wiser approach.

First off I didn't call you foolish for starting this thread but that the thread itself is foolish. You seem like a nice guy and that you are pretty well versed on a lot of Cowboys and NFL history. Everyone can start whatever thread they want but that doesn't make them immune to being foolishness. I gave you a name you could have used that would have better explained the list you made, but I also said because of the things that you already mentioned that name wouldn't work either so in my opinion this is a foolish thread. I'm sorry if that hurt your feelings, but in my opinion this is a foolish thread.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy absolutely has a chance at making the HoF based on what happens in Dallas.

We all know the discussions about how much of it was Rodgers, etc.

But based solely on wins/losses and playoff success. McCarthy’s resume is fantastic.

If he wins a super bowl with Dallas he is a lock for the hall of fame.

He may make it to the hall of fame if he can even just get them to one and have a solid winning percentage and some other decent playoff runs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
As always, team records are team accomplishments.
Though assigning a record to a coach makes way more sense than to a QB, No Head Coach is going to have a great record with the Browns' rosters over the last 20 years.

erod

Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson was better than anyone on that list aside from Bill Belichick.

Example #1000 why statistics are largely useless.

plasticman

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy absolutely has a chance at making the HoF based on what happens in Dallas.

We all know the discussions about how much of it was Rodgers, etc.

But based solely on wins/losses and playoff success. McCarthy’s resume is fantastic.

If he wins a super bowl with Dallas he is a lock for the hall of fame.

He may make it to the hall of fame if he can even just get them to one and have a solid winning percentage and some other decent playoff runs.
In fact, my entire purpose of this thread was to show where he was in terms of winning percentage and the other Head Coach around him. His winning percent averages out to a 10-6 season. Current HC's aside, the three just in front of him and the three just in back of him inclue Bud Grant, Joe Gibbs, Tom Landry and Bill Walsh. That is some impressive company, to say the least. All he really needs to complete a HOF resume with confidence is one more SB.

Whatever the quality of a team happens to be prior to a new HC, it is their job to maximize the potential of that team and it isn't easy. In some cases its simply the ability to change the team culture that results in positive results that either sustains prior success or was that last push towards success.

For some reason Andy Reid couldn't get over the hump in Philly, the new HC got there in his 2nd season. It just happened to be those specific circumstances that didn't work out for Reid, whether it was his relationship with team leaders, the owner or other management, it just didn't work out. However, things obviously jelled for him in KC.