The "trade Tank and Byron" mock draft

JDSTAR

Reaction score
DAL trades Demarcus Lawrence, Byron Jones and a 2020 1st round pick to DET for 2019 1(8) and 6(184)

Reasoning for DAL - DAL is going to have a tough decision about which stars are going to be paid and which walk; IMO Cooper, Dak and Jaylon should be 1st tier priority, with Zeke and Chido being a close 2nd tier. Tank and Jones are obviously top priority as well, but their asking price are (will be) way too expensive. This trade frees cap for the others to extend and gives us a draft superstar which can give us immediate impact. If it works, were giving up a late 2020 1st round, if it doesn't, we'll still have cap to retain the stars worthy and hopefully extra cap to sign help in 2020 FA. Also, we get value for Tank and Byron rather than letting them walk/ sit out.

Reasoning for DET - With their 8th and 184th pick, DET receives 2 established stars that can be paid accordingly with the cap space they have, as well as 1st rounder for 2020.

1(8) from DET- Ed Oliver DT(LE), Houston - Incredible player that will be asking for top dollar......in 4 to 5 years. Oliver has dominated the draft process which teams well with his dominate game film. Here's the twist; Oliver is an interior player, but with his speed, strength, hand work, we pen him in at LE, giving us the beefy starting line of Oliver, Collins, Woods and Quinn, with Taco, Covington, Hyde and Armstrong as our 2nd wave. 10 sack rookie season at LE.

2(58)- Darnell Savage S, Maryland - Abrams, Thornhill, Thompson, Hooker. I'd be happy with any of these guys; this one just happens to be my preference. Team him with Illoka at SS and put Woods and Heath as our reserve. Woods may be offended, but he must also understand that he is a 6th round pick and it is the teams responsibility to always be looking to upgrade.

3(90)- David Edwards OT, Wisconsin - Big, athletic OT with heavy hands. I chose the OL in the 3rd for the reason that we should always be taking OL in the top 3 rounds.

4(128)- Josh Oliver TE, San Jose State - Good pass catching TE. 3rd round grade that dropped to our 4th.

4(136)- Tony Pollard WR/RB/KR/PR, Memphis - My pet cat. This guy is going to be a game changing player. With Coop, Dak and Zeke to worry about, Pollard is going to be the Lou Williams of the NFL.

5(165)- Carl Granderson DE, Wyoming - Developmental LE. Lets say Oliver's talents are better suited at 3tech after year 1, Granderson with a years experience can be penned as the LE starter......ideally.

6(184) from DET- Montre Hartage CB, Northwestern - Losing Byron Jones is going to make CB the weak link on this team, especially the way this draft has turned out. I trust Richard to coach up "no-names" for us more than anyone else on the coaching staff. I think with Chido, Brown, Lewis (maybe), Hartage and 1 or 2 of the UDFAs from last year stepping up, we can mask the weakness. If we can't, CB becomes our 2020 top priority.

7(241) - Michael Dogbe DT, Temple - Bigger guy with some pass rush ability. I've seen him taken around the 5th-6th round if he is even considered at all in some of these 7round mock drafts. I say he takes a little bit of a Desmond King-ish fall, and we steal a good 1tech.

Last edited:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Why would you turn a defensive tackle into a DE? The funny thing is I am not sure if Detroit would agree to this deal.

Hardline

Reaction score
So out of the realm of possibility that why even discuss it

JDSTAR

Reaction score
So out of the realm of possibility that why even discuss it
Why not? How much of the bs we discuss in these threads actually happen? I think retaining all the stars who we say we’re resigning with the money we have is out of the realm of possibility.

ccb04

Reaction score
Like the draft overall, but would've went CB in the 3rd...maybe someone like Isaiah Johnson.
Detroit has already signed Trey Flowers to a big deal, in addition to CB Justin Coleman...plus TE Jesse James & WR Amendola.

Flamma

Reaction score
DAL trades Demarcus Lawrence, Byron Jones and a 2020 1st round pick to DET for 2019 1(8) and 6(184)

Not sure Detroit would do it. They'd be giving up their 8th overall for what could be a late first round pick and two players. One of which they can get as a rookie at #8. Then they would have to pay these guys who are now going to want top dollar because they now know they can get it.

I see what you're trying to do here. Clear out some high contracts.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Two pro bowlers for the eight pick? Who are you-Matt Patricia???

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't honestly see why we would entertain this idea, to be completely frank. I mean, this is seriously one of the best drafts for DLs that I have ever seen in all my years of watching this game. Why would we give up a kings ransom for Oliver when we could likely land help later in the draft along the DL? I mean, I like Oliver but I don't see how this is the best use of our resources.

JMO