The trouble with Rookies

leeblair

Reaction score
I, more than most, was thrilled to see Tashard Choice have a good game in the game vs. the Seahawks.

Marion Barber hasn't been running well at all, and probably needs a rest.

However, this is the problem with Rookies: They get hurt when you have to depend on them too much- especially at the reciever and running back positions.

Case in point- Felix Jones, who has electrified the crowd this season, only to be sidelined with a nagging injury. Julius Jones 1st year, he was slapped around like a schoolboy until finally breaking his collar bone- but when he came back, he played much better.

So, as excited as I am to see Tashard Choice play, I realize that he, too, is a rookie, and it seems as they must learn that the NFL is a marathon, and not a sprint.

Too often, rookies seemingly want to be the highlight- which is not such a bad thing, but they tend to over exert themselves, and go down to injury.

Once they return, they seem to have a little more ability to stay healthy; having realized that their exuberance caused them to actually miss playing time, instead of gaining it.

So, if Choice carries the ball this weekend, I'll hope for a great game out of him. But, now, more than ever before, Marion Barber has to step up and carry the load like he was promised to do.

We have two promising rookie running backs; and one supposed all-pro. If Choice has to carry the load too soon, and we were to lose him to injury, I'm afraid the running game would suffer greatly.

I hope he gets to carry the ball, but we(gulp) need Marion Barber to carry at least some of the load; at least until the rookies are ready to take it.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
why does everyone seem to be jumping off the MBIII train...? he is a beast and we are lucky to have him...jeez

Boysboy

Reaction score
leeblair;2461501 said:
I, more than most, was thrilled to see Tashard Choice have a good game in the game vs. the Seahawks.

However, this is the problem with Rookies: They get hurt when you have to depend on them too much- especially at the reciever and running back positions.

Case in point- Felix Jones, who has electrified the crowd this season, only to be sidelined with a nagging injury. Julius Jones 1st year, he was slapped around like a schoolboy until finally breaking his collar bone- but when he came back, he played much better.

So, as excited as I am to see Tashard Choice play, I realize that he, too, is a rookie, and it seems as they must learn that the NFL is a marathon, and not a sprint.

Too often, rookies seemingly want to be the highlight- which is not such a bad thing, but they tend to over exert themselves, and go down to injury.

Once they return, they seem to have a little more ability to stay healthy; having realized that their exuberance caused them to actually miss playing time, instead of gaining it.

So, if Choice carries the ball this weekend, I'll hope for a great game out of him. But, now, more than ever before, Marion Barber has to step up and carry the load like he was promised to do.

We have two promising rookie running backs; and one supposed all-pro. If Choice has to carry the load too soon, and we were to lose him to injury, I'm afraid the running game would suffer greatly.

I hope he gets to carry the ball, but we(gulp) need Marion Barber to carry at least some of the load; at least until the rookies are ready to take it.

I've been on the Steelers board a good bit this week, and we had a conversation on Jones and Mendenhall.

Of course, Mendenhall is on IR as well. Their fans brought up a very good point-it's probably BEST if we can sit our rookie RBs on the bench their first year, and not only learn the ropes of the system, but spend most of their time on S&C...it pretty much makes sense now, especially with the physical nature of the NFL, and these young guys need to slowly adapt.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Boysboy;2461529 said:
I've been on the Steelers board a good bit this week, and we had a conversation on Jones and Mendenhall.

Of course, Mendenhall is on IR as well. Their fans brought up a very good point-it's probably BEST if we can sit our rookie RBs on the bench their first year, and not only learn the ropes of the system, but spend most of their time on S&C...it pretty much makes sense now, especially with the physical nature of the NFL, and these young guys need to slowly adapt.

Yeah, always good to have a guy averaging 9 yards per carry (in his rookie year) on the bench. Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

Sour grapes from the Steelers. Mendenhall couldn't carry Felix Jones' jock strap.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
leeblair;2461501 said:
Anyone who even insinuates that the Barbarian hasn't carried the load this season with the inconsistent line play this season and playing through injuries, ought to be flogged.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Kilyin;2461532 said:
Yeah, always good to have a guy averaging 9 yards per carry (in his rookie year) on the bench. Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

Did you bother to read my post? To clarify-S&C = Strength & Conditioning. Hello?? Didn't I say it's probably better for rookie RBs to improve their S&C in their 1st years?

dblair even pointed out how Julius Jones missed significant time in his rookie year with an injury.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
leeblair;2461501 said:

One example and you are making a statemnet that the trouble with rookies is that they get hurt when the team needs them the most?

I don't see Matt Forte hurt, I don't see Matt Ryan hurt, I don't see Jake Long hurt, I don't see Orlando Scandrick hurt, I don't see Martellus Bennett hurt and I don't see Tashard Choice hurt either.

Injuries are just part of the game bro. Doesn't matter if you are a 12 year vet or a rookie, they happen.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Boysboy;2461537 said:
Did you bother to read my post? To clarify-S&C = Strength & Conditioning. Hello?? Didn't I say it's probably better for rookie RBs to improve their S&C in their 1st years?

dblair even pointed out how Julius Jones missed significant time in his rookie year with an injury.

I'm beginning to understand it's a waste of time to read your posts. dbair hasn't even posted in this thread, what the hell are you talking about? Who cares about Julius Jones? And what relevance does he have to this conversation? He never has come close to the level of production that Felix Jones did before he went on IR.

Oh, you meant leeblair? I just skim his stuff, most of it is hot air. Fluke injuries like broken collarbones, hamstring sprains, and turf toe have absolutely nothing to do with overexerting yourself.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Kilyin;2461544 said:
I'm beginning to understand it's a waste of time to read your posts. dbair hasn't even posted in this thread, what the hell are you talking about? Who cares about Julius Jones? And what relevance does he have to this conversation? He never has come close to the level of production that Felix Jones did before he went on IR.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but dblair DID mention that in his post...

And like I said too, I was having a conversation with the Steelers MB about rookie RBs and injuries(their Mendenhall got hurt too), and we pretty much said the same thing too.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
DallasEast;2461536 said:
Anyone who even insinuates that the Barbarian hasn't carried the load this season with the inconsistent line play this season and playing through injuries, ought to be flogged.

But other players who advertise themselves get no grief.:D

Kilyin

Reaction score
Boysboy;2461548 said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but dblair DID mention that in his post...

See above, there is no 'dblair' posting in this thread. And even if there was, and he'd mentioned it, I still wouldn't care. I also am not interested in whatever drivel you've been yammering about with Steeler fans.

Hope that clears it up for ya.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Kilyin;2461555 said:
See above, there is no 'dblair' posting in this thread. And even if there was, and he'd mentioned it, I still wouldn't care. I also am not interested in whatever drivel you've been yammering about with Steeler fans.

Hope that clears it up for ya.

OK-I'm sorry, I meant LEEBLAIR then(I get the 2 mixed up like I do on the Ranch Report). Are you happer now?:p:

leeblair

Reaction score
I think running back and reciever- two positions that are very high profile, are very hard on rookies.

On one hand, if they excel, they can earn their spot as a fan favorite quickly.

However, at both positions they take hits on every play- and are piled on by other players more than at any other position- especially the running backs.

If they are trying too hard, and they don't take care of themselves, they expose themselves to injury. Seasoned veterans understand that they have to make the play, but also live to make the next one, too.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
leeblair;2461615 said:
I think running back and reciever- two positions that are very high profile, are very hard on rookies.

On one hand, if they excel, they can earn their spot as a fan favorite quickly.

However, at both positions they take hits on every play- and are piled on by other players more than at any other position- especially the running backs.

If they are trying too hard, and they don't take care of themselves, they expose themselves to injury. Seasoned veterans understand that they have to make the play, but also live to make the next one, too.
http://i356.***BLOCKED***/albums/oo4/DallasEast1701/Rooks.jpg

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
dadymat;2461513 said:
why does everyone seem to be jumping off the MBIII train...? he is a beast and we are lucky to have him...jeez

no kidding.

Just like the offseason when basically no one wanted him to be signed to a long term contract.

its baffling.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't like Barber isn't a true Cowboys fan.

It would just be awfully nice to have both him and FJ against the Steelers.

Rudy

Reaction score
Kilyin;2461532 said:
Mendenhall couldn't carry Felix Jones' jock strap.

He can carry it, but expect him to drop it 1-2 times a game.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
My only beef with Barber is that I don't think he (or our line) is that great at asserting the run as a dominant focal point early in games. I think he's the best fourth-quarter running back in football, but merely a top 15 guy in the first three. If that makes any sense.

This isn't necessarily a complaint, either. I think he's a key part of what we do. Just an observation.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
leeblair;2461501 said:

what about the rookies that don't get hurt?