The truly amazing thing about all of this is people defend the front office

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yup. He started running the team that way, didn't work. Then he watched Tuna pick up several very good players for low/medium salaries. Jerry's been trying to copy that ever since, but the problem is Tuna knew what made a good player and what is needed to make up a good team. Jerry hasn't the foggiest.
Tuna also got some good players at reduced prices because those players loved Parcells and WANTED to play for him, so they got a discount.

What player WANTS to play for the cowboys enough to take reduced pay nowadays?

Nobody

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly right. How can we be so conservative and yet never have any money?!
All the monies spent on our own players. It's actually really obvious. We have way too many players making 15-20 mil and more per season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
well your questions are more of the rhetorical type. Anyways i want to give my thoughts about them.

Our FO (JJ and Stephen so to say) are very bad in negotiating contracts and Stephen has not the necessary knowledge about the salary cap.

How often have we maneuvered us into bad situations where we in the end had to give in? DFlaw, Elliot, Romo, Prescott just to name a few.
We dont plan well, and therefore create situations where we are way too dependend on one player.

You can say what you want about Garrett and his talent as a HC but it took him 6 years to get us out of cap hell and he did a really good job at it.
Just 1 year in MM took us back into trouble.
Wait what? GARRETT was what got us out of “cap hell??”

It was Jerry that extended nearly everyone Parcells brought in so he could take the “credit,” figuring the roster was built.

Garrett took over a team that won a playoff game ten months earlier then spent the next half decade telling people it’s a “process” to fix things with the “right kind of guy.”

He did NOTHING for this franchise except set it back about fifteen years, and it’s not his own fault. It’s about the great salesman getting totally sold by another fraud.

This situation does not at all deserve to succeed. It’s a sham and a lie.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I've seen this same strategy every offseason since 2014 and its worse this year. They seem to have a drastic plan behind the scenes, of cutting alotta bait on players and having a very short leash with key roster members and staff. Problem is, the NFL is a league where that has never worked. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing anything kin to this before. The delusional thing is, they think they are doing a good thing in the short term/long run. They are bad at football evaluations. We have lost way too many players to be a good team, even if the draft goes great. I see 5 - 6 wins at best unless we do something unexpected in free agency.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
that people that defend the front office's inaction in FA justify it by saying people overpaid, it's a bad contract that will hurt the cap in time, etc.

The only problem is this team has basically sat out FA since the Brandon Carr debacle. They haven't signed any big names. They haven't given away any really big or cap strapping contracts to FA for years.

And yet they have cap issues every year. Maybe their pay their own strategy is a dud? Maybe Stephen kind of sucks at structuring contracts? I mean how can you always be up against the cap and yet never have any real bad FA contracts on your books? Impressive.
All the 1 year deals are blowing up in their face. Totally predictable. Now Fowler. Say it’s no big deal all you want but the reality is that’s another productive player that needs to be replaced. They don’t have enough picks. Clearly FAs aren’t a focus. These clowns act as if they own the league. A perennial playoff loser is the reality. I think what we are seeing is the fat son’s influence here. That clown thinks he is a genius.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Tuna also got some good players at reduced prices because those players loved Parcells and WANTED to play for him, so they got a discount.

What player WANTS to play for the cowboys enough to take reduced pay nowadays?

Nobody
ust not have been very talented players, because last I checked, the great Tuna didnt get near an NFC title game.

Rodney308

Reaction score
well your questions are more of the rhetorical type. Anyways i want to give my thoughts about them.

Our FO (JJ and Stephen so to say) are very bad in negotiating contracts and Stephen has not the necessary knowledge about the salary cap.

How often have we maneuvered us into bad situations where we in the end had to give in? DFlaw, Elliot, Romo, Prescott just to name a few.
We dont plan well, and therefore create situations where we are way too dependend on one player.

You can say what you want about Garrett and his talent as a HC but it took him 6 years to get us out of cap hell and he did a really good job at it.
Just 1 year in MM took us back into trouble.
How did MM take us back into trouble? He is not responsible for roster building, and he does not hand out or negotiate contracts.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I
that people that defend the front office's inaction in FA justify it by saying people overpaid, it's a bad contract that will hurt the cap in time, etc.

The only problem is this team has basically sat out FA since the Brandon Carr debacle. They haven't signed any big names. They haven't given away any really big or cap strapping contracts to FA for years.

And yet they have cap issues every year. Maybe their pay their own strategy is a dud? Maybe Stephen kind of sucks at structuring contracts? I mean how can you always be up against the cap and yet never have any real bad FA contracts on your books? Impressive.
I hear your frustrations but I actually understand why they may not want to restructure Dak’s deal and go all in. I mean have the Eagles or Giants really improved? Washington was so bad that you just don’t know with them. We have pieces that teams would kill for in CeeDee, Diggs, Micah, and Tyler. Bland and Ferguson are outstanding role players. The Joneses don’t pay free agents. They say that every offseason. Jerry is all in on MM and Dak proving themselves as champions.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
All the monies spent on our own players. It's actually really obvious. We have way too many players making 15-20 mil and more per season.
And those players aren't good enough to win. So the problem remains the Joneses being unable to build a winning team with the exact same constraints as every other team in the league

HungryLion

Reaction score
ust not have been very talented players, because last I checked, the great Tuna didnt get near an NFC title game.
1. You need to read the post I was responding too to get the full context. We weren’t talking about star players. We were talking about getting some good players at cheaper prices.

2. The roster was horrific. The team was 13-3 and the #1 seed the year after Parcells left. With the roster Parcells built.

CWR

Reaction score

What blows me away is how willingly we over pay our own and ignore better players in free agency. It's a terrible model and why we can't ever get across the finish line.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The truly amazing thing is that fans will still be packing the stadium next season regardless how the team is playing. It doesn’t matter how bad the team craps the bed in the playoffs or how inactive they are in free agency it’s not diminishing the popularity of the team. The Cowboys continue becoming more valuable every day.
Right

Cowboy fans really are sending the wrong message if they are unhappy with the owners and their product.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm not afraid to call a bad decision a bad decision if that's my take.

But having said that, I'm also not afraid to admit that I don't do this 24/7 like other people. I'm also not afraid to admit that no one would hire me, not even a D3 school, to be a scout or coach for them.

It's called self-awareness. It's called intellectual humility.

These decisions being made right now, especially this early, are being made juxtaposing player's assessed value against the number the player's agent is looking for... but wait, then that, assessed against the other decisions being made with other players and their agents... but wait, then that also, assessed against the available cap space... but wait, then that also too, assessed against future years' projected cap thresholds.

Sure. Other teams have the same basic constraints. But no, other teams don't have any other given team's set of circumstances on offense... or any other given team's set of circumstances on defense... it's a Rubik's cube, nay Rubic's octagon... and there's no divine guidance to assist.

That makes it pretty easy for me to be comfortable in my self-awareness/intellectual humility... I have no power, no vote in the process anyhow, so what the heck am I doing devoting precious brain cells to such a futile pursuit in the first place... as-if I get anything out of it if I'm right anyhow... I don't... and, when there are more reasonable, more rewarding pursuits.

So, to the OP, that is why I'm just fine not worrying about the front office right now. None of that should be a revelation. We're all in that same boat for the most part.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
One thing I start to wonder about is if Jerry’s age along with tech advances have changed the pace of free agency for Jerry to keep up.

Back in the day you’d actually host players for free agent visits, and while day 1 deals would get done I don’t remember it was a completely different process.

The last several years almost everything is done electronically, zoom meetings are taking place back to back to back.