CFZ The two parts to every NFL player’s performance

rags747

Reaction score
what about Bradshaw does he fall into the 5%. Dandy don said he couldnt spell CAT if you spotted him a C and a T. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding he actually may be a pretty smart dude even though on tye surface he appears not to be
Not even close with the CAT statement.

rags747

Reaction score
I have been around Terry Bradshaw, he isn't dumb but he also isn't trying to show off his intellect when around crowds of people either..lol. Dude loves a good barn party and barefoot mud dancing with lots of younger females is not out of the question either.
You don’t get where Terry has gotten without brains. Ain’t happening…

75boyz

Reaction score
The mental side will definitely be on display this year. As a matter of fact, the decision making ability or mental game of both the HC and QB will determine this year's success or failure.

No matter if the defense morphs into an 85 Bears/SteelCurtain/Doomsday clone...

IF McCheese and Dak dont have the ability to execute their jobs effectively in real time, the team won't win in the post season again.

jmo

ShortRound

Reaction score
When I think of these two qualities and a Cowboy, I come back to the same player.

I really would have liked to see Sean Lee's career with the physical part intact because mentally he was as sharp as any Cowboy player to wear the uniform. I think he would have been the best Cowboys LB of all time and one of the top 5 in NFL history.
Sean Lee and the Beard.

CWR

Reaction score
There are two parts to every NFL player’s performance:
  1. The physical- the part which is most obvious. It’s the eye test. Do they make plays? Do they show physical strength, speed, agility, etc.? That’s the physical side. You can‘t even get noticed without it.
  2. The mental- just as important as the physical but much less obvious. Is the player mentally sharp while playing? Is he mentally tough, as in being able to forget about mistakes? Is he prepared for his assignments, and prepared for every opponent?
Successful NFL players must be good at both physical and mental performance.

Too many of us fans think being a great football player is all physical. But it’s way more than that. It’s why some really gifted athletes can’t play pro football. Examples- Mo Claiborne, Rico Gathers, Carson Wentz and JaMarcus Russell are just a few examples. All those guys were great athletes- in fact, off the charts in physical skill. But they were not strong in their mental game. It‘s proof why physical talent alone is not enough.

Sometimes, really talented players get down on themselves mentally and it translates to poor play on the field. The mental side of the game is often underestimated in how much it plays a role in any player’s performance.

Occasionally, a really gifted athlete gets so down mentally and find it hard to get out of that rut. I’m encouraged to hear that Jalen Tolbert may have regained some mental confidence. He still has to prove it when it counts. But I’m glad to hear early reports this off-season that he’s seemingly turned a corner mentally. The physical skills were always there.

Bottom line- Drafting a physically talented player is only step one in obtaining talent for a good roster. The mental as well as physical development is all part of building a great roster. Guys like Jalen Tolbert need that mental confidence to maximize their physical talent. Here’s hoping all our young players can maximize both sides of their talent.

3. Heart. Thats not quite your category of mental. Football intelligence is one thing, but heart and discipline are another. You have to have the tools, the brain to process and the mental fortitude (heart)to put in the work and fight every day, in season or off.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The mental side will definitely be on display this year. As a matter of fact, the decision making ability or mental game of both the HC and QB will determine this year's success or failure.

No matter if the defense morphs into an 85 Bears/SteelCurtain/Doomsday clone...

IF McCheese and Dak dont have the ability to execute their jobs effectively in real time, the team won't win in the post season again.

jmo
I can agree somewhat. But I’m not one who subscribes to the belief that QB and HC are the absolute key to playoff success.

Since you mentioned the ‘85 Bears, that team had Jim McMahon as QB, and while I respect what he did for them, they could have won with 10 different guys as QB. Best defense in NFL history. And Mike Ditka is many things but he’s certainly not a brilliant football mind IMO.

I ascribe to the big idea that teams win playoff games. Sure you have to have really good QB play, but not necessarily every single game. There are examples even recently.

Remember the GOAT Tom Brady’s last SB run? He was really good in the SB but he was not good at all in that years NFC championship game. In fact he threw 3 INTs in that game against the packers. He was bailed out by his D. And in the WC round at the beginning of that playoff run, he was almost outplayed by Wash QB Taylor Heinke. Not knocking Brady- he’s the GOAT! But he needed his teammates twice to bail him out!

Matt Stafford’s SB playoff was not without problems. He threw 2 picks in the rams SB win against the bengals. He also threw a costly pick vs the niners in their close 20-17 win in the NFC championship game. In 7 career playoff games Stafford has 6 picks. He is a really good QB for sure. But he didn’t carry that rams team.

This could go on. My point is, it’s a rare QB who can put a team on his back and carry them. Mahomes. Brady in his prime. Maybe Joe Burrow although it remains to be seen. But those guys are EXTREMELY rare.

It takes a team.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
When I think of these two qualities and a Cowboy, I come back to the same player.

I really would have liked to see Sean Lee's career with the physical part intact because mentally he was as sharp as any Cowboy player to wear the uniform. I think he would have been the best Cowboys LB of all time and one of the top 5 in NFL history.
LB is ripe with candidates. What if Dat & Coakley were a little bigger? What if Rolando M could have put the purple drank down?

What if Brandon Carr was a more explosive athlete?

What if Ronald Leery didn't have degenerative knee?

75boyz

Reaction score
I can agree somewhat. But I’m not one who subscribes to the belief that QB and HC are the absolute key to playoff success.

Since you mentioned the ‘85 Bears, that team had Jim McMahon as QB, and while I respect what he did for them, they could have won with 10 different guys as QB. Best defense in NFL history. And Mike Ditka is many things but he’s certainly not a brilliant football mind IMO.

I ascribe to the big idea that teams win playoff games. Sure you have to have really good QB play, but not necessarily every single game. There are examples even recently.

Remember the GOAT Tom Brady’s last SB run? He was really good in the SB but he was not good at all in that years NFC championship game. In fact he threw 3 INTs in that game against the packers. He was bailed out by his D. And in the WC round at the beginning of that playoff run, he was almost outplayed by Wash QB Taylor Heinke. Not knocking Brady- he’s the GOAT! But he needed his teammates twice to bail him out!

Matt Stafford’s SB playoff was not without problems. He threw 2 picks in the rams SB win against the bengals. He also threw a costly pick vs the niners in their close 20-17 win in the NFC championship game. In 7 career playoff games Stafford has 6 picks. He is a really good QB for sure. But he didn’t carry that rams team.

This could go on. My point is, it’s a rare QB who can put a team on his back and carry them. Mahomes. Brady in his prime. Maybe Joe Burrow although it remains to be seen. But those guys are EXTREMELY rare.

It takes a team.
Yeah,
I'm more the type that leans toward how a QB plays a majority of the time and particularly in the playoffs, should never be minimized as to not being the most influential factor to team success.
Your examples of past dominant team defense and rare poor TB12 QB play and even not so dominant coaching support your stance of the more team friendly opinion on playoff success.
But to me, THIS team will only go as far as it's 2 main decision makers will take it imo.
And in my opinion like I said, regardless if this year's defense does it's best job of trying to carry them with a historic performance, if those 2 aren't absolutely flourishing with onfield execution this team will look no different whatsoever from past failed playoff teams.

Team yes, but McCarthy's and Dak's individual real time mental game is the whole key for this team to win playoff games.

Just my opinion.

Einstein

Reaction score
I think it was Charles Haley that said he could think during a play, and that is what gave him an advantage of most other players.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sometimes, well often, it takes players time to get the mental part down. Hence, the 3 year rule come into play.

Players are young, and though gifted physically, some are still growing. And many changes in their lifestyle can be mentally draining. So as we often say, needs a full year, and makes progress in year two.
Change in lifestyle, location, learning new schemes and terminology can be an overload. Some handle it better than others.

There comes a time those two need to come together. For some it takes longer, for some it may never happen. Some it is right away. As you need to throw in maturity levels as well. How serious does one take it.
You have players where everything came so easy as they were one of the better athletes on the field. Until the NFL. Then they must decide, is this what I want, as now I need to work and earn this, so how long does that take to do so.

Trysten Hill for example. I think the Eagles have several players like this, as reported Davis is about the same from the mental part, but better physically.
Players like Zack Martin stepped right in.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I find it interesting how many NFL players who are effective for 10 years or more say it’s the mental side of the game that keeps them playing. Sure they still have physical ability, but as that declines, their ability to be effective using their mental capabilities is what keeps them on an NFL roster.

Tom Brady had lost his “fastball” arm years ago. He could still make big throws but it was his ability to read defenses and his mental toughness that allowed him to keep playing so long at a high level. The great Bob Lily- one of the greatest defensive players in NFL history often said that his ability to out think his opponents helped him play at a high level for years after his physical skills had diminished.

Motorola

Reaction score
There are two parts to every NFL player’s performance:
  1. The physical- the part which is most obvious. It’s the eye test. Do they make plays? Do they show physical strength, speed, agility, etc.? That’s the physical side. You can‘t even get noticed without it.
  2. The mental- just as important as the physical but much less obvious. Is the player mentally sharp while playing? Is he mentally tough, as in being able to forget about mistakes? Is he prepared for his assignments, and prepared for every opponent?
Successful NFL players must be good at both physical and mental performance.

Too many of us fans think being a great football player is all physical. But it’s way more than that. It’s why some really gifted athletes can’t play pro football. Examples- Mo Claiborne, Rico Gathers, Carson Wentz and JaMarcus Russell are just a few examples. All those guys were great athletes- in fact, off the charts in physical skill. But they were not strong in their mental game. It‘s proof why physical talent alone is not enough.

Sometimes, really talented players get down on themselves mentally and it translates to poor play on the field. The mental side of the game is often underestimated in how much it plays a role in any player’s performance.

Occasionally, a really gifted athlete gets so down mentally and find it hard to get out of that rut. I’m encouraged to hear that Jalen Tolbert may have regained some mental confidence. He still has to prove it when it counts. But I’m glad to hear early reports this off-season that he’s seemingly turned a corner mentally. The physical skills were always there.

Bottom line- Drafting a physically talented player is only step one in obtaining talent for a good roster. The mental as well as physical development is all part of building a great roster. Guys like Jalen Tolbert need that mental confidence to maximize their physical talent. Here’s hoping all our young players can maximize both sides of their talent.
Fundamenal truth that applies to all sports.
At all levels.
Individual and team competitions.
It starts with tryouts at the youth level: coaches evaluating not only athletic ability, but fortitude and will shown to make a squad, then being selected for a specific discipline or position going forward.
It grows from there; as the athletes age and continue to participate, does each person continue to improve and make strides in both their physical and mental makeup equally - to obtain optimum success as the skills of the opponents increases at each higher level.

Last edited: