CFZ The two parts to every NFL player’s performance

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two parts to every NFL player’s performance:
  1. The physical- the part which is most obvious. It’s the eye test. Do they make plays? Do they show physical strength, speed, agility, etc.? That’s the physical side. You can‘t even get noticed without it.
  2. The mental- just as important as the physical but much less obvious. Is the player mentally sharp while playing? Is he mentally tough, as in being able to forget about mistakes? Is he prepared for his assignments, and prepared for every opponent?
Successful NFL players must be good at both physical and mental performance.

Too many of us fans think being a great football player is all physical. But it’s way more than that. It’s why some really gifted athletes can’t play pro football. Examples- Mo Claiborne, Rico Gathers, Carson Wentz and JaMarcus Russell are just a few examples. All those guys were great athletes- in fact, off the charts in physical skill. But they were not strong in their mental game. It‘s proof why physical talent alone is not enough.

Sometimes, really talented players get down on themselves mentally and it translates to poor play on the field. The mental side of the game is often underestimated in how much it plays a role in any player’s performance.

Occasionally, a really gifted athlete gets so down mentally and find it hard to get out of that rut. I’m encouraged to hear that Jalen Tolbert may have regained some mental confidence. He still has to prove it when it counts. But I’m glad to hear early reports this off-season that he’s seemingly turned a corner mentally. The physical skills were always there.

Bottom line- Drafting a physically talented player is only step one in obtaining talent for a good roster. The mental as well as physical development is all part of building a great roster. Guys like Jalen Tolbert need that mental confidence to maximize their physical talent. Here’s hoping all our young players can maximize both sides of their talent.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I am just waiting to see which player some of the posters will barbeque first. All physical and no mental or visa-versa. Not going to say any names. :popcorn::popcorn:

Reactions: CWR

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am just waiting to see which player some of the posters will barbeque first. All physical and no mental or visa-versa. Not going to say any names. :popcorn::popcorn:
In your opinion who are the past players too many fans here have ”barbecued”? (Maybe leave out #4 since every thread these days ends up about him, lol!)

CCBoy

Reaction score
There are two parts to every NFL player’s performance:
  1. The physical- the part which is most obvious. It’s the eye test. Do they make plays? Do they show physical strength, speed, agility, etc.? That’s the physical side. You can‘t even get noticed without it.
  2. The mental- just as important as the physical but much less obvious. Is the player mentally sharp while playing? Is he mentally tough, as in being able to forget about mistakes? Is he prepared for his assignments, and prepared for every opponent?
Successful NFL players must be good at both physical and mental performance.

Too many of us fans think being a great football player is all physical. But it’s way more than that. It’s why some really gifted athletes can’t play pro football. Examples- Mo Claiborne, Rico Gathers, Carson Wentz and JaMarcus Russell are just a few examples. All those guys were great athletes- in fact, off the charts in physical skill. But they were not strong in their mental game. It‘s proof why physical talent alone is not enough.

Sometimes, really talented players get down on themselves mentally and it translates to poor play on the field. The mental side of the game is often underestimated in how much it plays a role in any player’s performance.

Occasionally, a really gifted athlete gets so down mentally and find it hard to get out of that rut. I’m encouraged to hear that Jalen Tolbert may have regained some mental confidence. He still has to prove it when it counts. But I’m glad to hear early reports this off-season that he’s seemingly turned a corner mentally. The physical skills were always there.

Bottom line- Drafting a physically talented player is only step one in obtaining talent for a good roster. The mental as well as physical development is all part of building a great roster. Guys like Jalen Tolbert need that mental confidence to maximize their physical talent. Here’s hoping all our young players can maximize both sides of their talent.
Great reference post...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Goes to show Brian Bosworth should have been a good Texas Ranger and got up after Bo Jackson ran over him. Dusted himself off and hit him again solidly. Not fractured his own self esteem.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I think of these two qualities and a Cowboy, I come back to the same player.

I really would have liked to see Sean Lee's career with the physical part intact because mentally he was as sharp as any Cowboy player to wear the uniform. I think he would have been the best Cowboys LB of all time and one of the top 5 in NFL history.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
When I think of these two qualities and a Cowboy, I come back to the same player.

I really would have liked to see Sean Lee's career with the physical part intact because mentally he was as sharp as any Cowboy player to wear the uniform. I think he would have been the best Cowboys LB of all time and one of the top 5 in NFL history.
Fred Beard

starfan1

Reaction score
It’s not 100%…but I would say at least 95% of the all time great NFL players were as great mentally as they were physically.
what about Bradshaw does he fall into the 5%. Dandy don said he couldnt spell CAT if you spotted him a C and a T. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding he actually may be a pretty smart dude even though on tye surface he appears not to be

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
what about Bradshaw does he fall into the 5%. Dandy don said he couldnt spell CAT if you spotted him a C and a T. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding he actually may be a pretty smart dude even though on tye surface he appears not to be
that was Hollywood that said it.. still funny as hell though.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
that was Hollywood that said it.. still funny as hell though.
I think when Joe Turkey Jones. Dropped Bradshaw on his head. It may have changed a few things :muttley:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think when Joe Turkey Jones. Dropped Bradshaw on his head. It may have changed a few things :muttley:

I have been around Terry Bradshaw, he isn't dumb but he also isn't trying to show off his intellect when around crowds of people either..lol. Dude loves a good barn party and barefoot mud dancing with lots of younger females is not out of the question either.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great example with Sean Lee. Great football player who if his body didn’t fail him would have been a consistent All Pro.

I also think of Duane Thomas…on the mental side. In my mind, he’s one of the most gifted athletes to ever wear the star. But he couldn’t seem to get past his mental hang ups. I think he would have been a HOFer if he could have kept his head right. And it wasn’t his football mind that was the problem. It was his off field football mind that was his undoing. Or at least things that weren’t that important to his football performance.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Index this in the master of the obvious category. I'm big on measurables. Take Parsons for instance and he just wouldn't be the same player without the physical measurables.

Then take Diggs. Doesnt have the most physicality, but has the mental aspect, drive to prepare and intuition to be a top player at his position.

I feel like almost anyone on th3 board would know this.. then again, maybe I'm too optomistic.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think you have to add “Is good at football”. Lots of great athletes and physical specimens that are just bad football players. Those guys get exposed in the NFL.

starfan1

Reaction score
I have been around Terry Bradshaw, he isn't dumb but he also isn't trying to show off his intellect when around crowds of people either..lol. Dude loves a good barn party and barefoot mud dancing with lots of younger females is not out of the question either.
he has a couple of good lookin daughters