The two UVA linebackers

chicago JK

Reaction score
LB Amhad Brooks, 6-4, 242, Soph, Virginia
This might be a little high for Brooks but he has incredible potential. Even though he is only a sophomore he will probably be eligible for the 2005 NFL draft due to the fact that he spent a year at Hargrave Military Academy to get his grades up, before transferring to Virginia, so he is three years removed from high school. The kid has really been hyped up but he could be an instant playmaker on the inside. He has been hampered by injuries a little bit in the past but this future star from Woodbridge Virginia runs a 4.40 forty, has a 325 pound bench and a 41 inch vertical jump, a truly awesome size speed ratio. He was named ACC freshman of the year in 2003. Coming out of high school he was the top recruit in the state and the USA Today’s National Defensive Player of the Year, it was a coup for Virginia to land this future star. If he plays his sophomore season as expected and remains injury free he could easily be a top 20 selection in the 2005 draft, if he declares

LB Daryl Blackstock, 6-4 235, JR, Virginia
Underclassmen like Darryl will play a huge part in the 2005 NFL draft. Blackstock became a star in his freshman season as he led the nation's freshmen with 10 sacks and 14 tackles for loss. He finished the season with 107 tackles and set an ACC record for most sacks by a freshman. As a true freshman from Newport News, Virginia, Rivals.com and CollegeFootballnews.com named him national defensive rookie of the year. He has the frame to get even bigger. In 2003 he was used more in a traditional linebackers role and he didn’t rush the passer as much, but he still had a productive year. He recorded 50 solo tackles and 35 assists with a marvelous 16 tackles for loss and 4 sacks. Subsequently, Blackstock was named 2003 ACC-All Conference (honorable mention). He is a supreme pass rushing linebacker and perfect for a 34 defense. He is very young and a converted defensive end so he needs to improve on play recognition and in pass coverage. Behind Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson he could be the 2nd linebacker drafted if he decides to turn pro.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
the hybrid lb is the best outside lb/de in the acc this year-
he makes every play every game

watch him and mark my words- he is second on the team in tackles and first in sacks- while playing de half the time

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
The best UVA linebacker isn't either of the 2 you listed, it will be Kai Parham mark my words.

zagnut

Reaction score
Mark my words, the best Hybrid LB in in the ACC is Ernie Sims at Florida State, EXCEPT he's a hybrid LB/SS.

( I also just wanted to say "mark my words." )

zagnut

Reaction score
ghettogandhi said:
the hybrid lb is the best outside lb/de in the acc this year-
he makes every play every game

watch him and mark my words- he is second on the team in tackles and first in sacks- while playing de half the time

Shawn "Lights Out" Merriman is terrific. Might end up being the second or third best DE in the ACC. Doesn't mean he isn't potentially great--just means there are 1or 2 other great DE prospects.

I'm a terps fan, but he only had 6 sacks going into the VA Tech game and they hung 55 on UMd. He definitely doesn't make "every play every game." I like him the same way I liked Jason Taylor when he came out. Similar players, imo. Much stronger than he looks and very agile.

S. Fla Sting

Reaction score
I have seen every Seminoles game this year except for 1, and Sims in my mind is a great LB. Lee Corso said he has the talent to be the best ever at FSU, wow better than Derrick Brooks and P. Bouware. He kind of reminds me of a Derrek Thomas by the way he plays.