The vultures are grasping impatiently, but all remains quiet

erod

Reaction score
No, I get that there are some drama-starved fans out there and they more than likely make up the majority, but that reality doesn't stop the result from being ridiculously disappointing for fans such as myself.
Less than 1 percent of NFL fans even post on sites like this.

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
Less than 1 percent of NFL fans even post on sites like this.

Correct, we are the hardcore junkies. The NFL caters to fantasy football players and casual fans. Why do you think they send out the softest bands available for the half time show? Appeal to the masses

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He got kicked off the Iowa State football team. That's why he went undrafted.

So you would have predicted that he wouldn't know he had to report to Dallas when camp was in CA? It honestly sounds like a mistake someone might reasonably make. Particularly if their agent isn't helpful.

erod

Reaction score
So you would have predicted that he wouldn't know he had to report to Dallas when camp was in CA? It honestly sounds like a mistake someone might reasonably make. Particularly if their agent isn't helpful.

He's suspended for four games. That's what I'm referring to.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It'll all work out. Rather have Irving but someone will get his snaps. Look for Tapper to step up.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The NFL came up with the term "conduct detrimental to the league" to use as a means to discipline players even if they have no concrete reasons to do so.

So really, they can (and I think they will) eventually just say that as a cumulative result of his behavior, Zeke will be suspended. And probably for multiple games. Despite the fact that there is no solid evidence to support such a desicion.

I agree.

Zeke will be suspended for this and while I think Zeke is a knucklehead at this point in his life I don't think he's done anything to really warrant a suspension that we know of.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
He's suspended for four games. That's what I'm referring to.

So getting thrown out of school for basically being part of an out of control party that ended up doing some damage predicts being suspended for PEDs?

That's some fascinating logic. Thanks for the entertainment.

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Now, if we can just settle in to camp, do the football stuff, shut our pieholes, adopt Garrett-speak, and chill out.....maybe, just maybe, we can get to that Giants game in relatively good shape.

Nobody is more irked than me about all of this hullaballoo. Nobody is more irritated with Zeke and his drama-a-minute lifestyle and chicanery than me. Nobody squirms through the off-field idiocy and the tunnel-visioned CNN-like coverage of it than yours truly.

But as long as that's it, no more foolishness going forward, then what is the league really going to do to him? Goodell is painted into a corner with Mara screaming in his ear, but aside from perhaps a stern lecture and a warning, what can he do? I'm not buying this accepted media narrative that 1-2 games is "expected"

I heard David Moore saying yesterday that they have to give Zeke some kind of suspension after spending all that time on this. Huh? That's the barometer now, "spending a lot of time"? No, David, there has to be something concrete that breaks league rules to justify a suspension, and right now, there's nothing really in that category so far except for possibly the recent nightclub incident.

Unless, Zeke is in the league substance program and we just don't know about it, I'm struggling to find a suspension-worthy action right now if the domestic thing has been dropped as we've heard. And again, I'm really getting tired of his silliness and antics, too. I almost wish they would to make a point to him, but I can't the justification they could use.

Likewise, the Jourdan Lewis thing looks like nothing. Carroll shouldn't even be here, so who cares? Irving was predictable given his past, and that light will burn out fast. Lucky sucked anyway and was going to be cut. Wilson doesn't have a history like this, so that should blow over. Gregory's career is long over and not worth discussion.

All in all, if everybody will just nip it right now, the Cowboys are OK. Let the media and Twitter have its fun and paint whatever image in their minds that makes them feel better.

If Cooper can play guard, Switzer can return punts, Tapper is healthy, Lawrence can return to form, Jaylon Smith can contribute, and Charlton and the young guys in the secondary can find their way, then this thing looks like it'll be salty enough to do what it was going to do anyway.

This damn franchise just never makes it easy for itself. But so far, this thing isn't over the edge, as much as Mara's minions and the Cowboy-hating media is trying to make it so.

:clap: My favorite thread of the past few weeks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Few "like" the drama. I only listen long enough to know what's up, then I don't stick around for the paralysis by analysis.

But suspensions impact the team, so my interest lies there. That, and it's easier to root for good people than thugs and miscreants.
In other words we only care about Zekes situation because he impacts the team chances to win more than our already suspended or potentially suspended players.

If Zeke was a backup or not a " rock star" we'd cast him aside as well.

Talent trumps all. Nothing has changed. Great lesson for our youth.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What concerns me most is the accumulative conduct by a star player in only his first season. You'd think while under investigation he'd have taken a much lower profile but instead seems to push the envelop.

If he wasn't a Cowboy I'd definitely be leaning that he needs a slap down. I'm not sure he gets it. He appears to follow Jerry's rhetoric that he's a " rock star"and above the law which is another issue all together. My hunch is there's more problems on the horizon without any discipline. Sometimes sacrafices are necessary for the good of the team and the league .

And I'd begin with disciplining Jerry for his intolerable outburst for basically promoting a higher tolerance for his " rock stars". Perhaps a timeout for him with a suspension from attending a game would get his attention. Obviously fines don't as we will lead the league again in suspended players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I truly believe Elliott needs a time out even if it's only 1 game to illustrate there's a fine line if you want the privilidge to play in the NFL.

It would also set an example throughout the league regardless your talent level, popularity and success there is a standard to adhere.

Hopefully a brief time out would save him early enough in his career but without he can only assume his behavior is acceptable up to this point and will continue and lead to more pain to this team.

Even if the NFL decides not to suspend him I'd greatly admire the Cowboys to not start him in the first game to set the example and send a message we're prepared to go on without you. This winning at all cost is becoming very unattractive in this game of football I love.

erod

Reaction score
I truly believe Elliott needs a time out even if it's only 1 game to illustrate there's a fine line if you want the privilidge to play in the NFL.

It would also set an example throughout the league regardless your talent level, popularity and success there is a standard to adhere.

Hopefully a brief time out would save him early enough in his career but without he can only assume his behavior is acceptable up to this point and will continue and lead to more pain to this team.

Even if the NFL decides not to suspend him I'd greatly admire the Cowboys to not start him in the first game to set the example and send a message we're prepared to go on without you. This winning at all cost is becoming very unattractive in this game of football I love.

While I agree with that, I don't see what they could base a suspension on thus far. I think he's headed for one, so I'd like to get it over with and make a point, but exactly what is Goodell going to base this on? Pacman just got one game for far worse than anything Zeke has done.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
While I agree with that, I don't see what they could base a suspension on thus far. I think he's headed for one, so I'd like to get it over with and make a point, but exactly what is Goodell going to base this on? Pacman just got one game for far worse than anything Zeke has done.
It appears to me if they do give him a suspension it would be for his accumulative poor decisions while under investigation.

I really don't see any individual situation enough on its own merit to warrant a suspension .

Only his disregard for continuing to place himself in bad situations . Sometimes it's nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time or with the wrong people. All poor choices and under the circumstances could be enough simply with the initial DV accusations.

I believe after the initial DV case was dismissed and there hadn't been any other or at least not as many situations this all would not have been enough. And it might still not be.

But we all see a pattern of questionable behavior. And for a Rookie sensation with his star power his ego will only get larger. I'm not so sure a little time out might not benefit him and the team Long term ?

Last edited:

erod

Reaction score
It appears to me if they do give him a suspension it would be for his accumulative poor decisions while under investigation.

I really don't see any individual situation enough on its own merit to warrant a suspension .

Only his disregard for continuing to place himself in bad situations . Sometimes it's nothing more than being in the wrong place at the wrong time or with the wrong people. All poor choices and under the circumstances could be enough simply with the initial DV accusations.

I believe after the initial DV case was dismissed and there hadn't been any other or at least not as many situations this all would not have been enough. And it might still not be.

But we all see a pattern of questionable behavior. And for a Rookie sensation with his star power his ego will only get larger. I'm not so sure a little time out might not benefit him and the team Long term ?

Again, I get it, but based on what? Nothing illegal, nothing against NFL policy, nothing but playboy-like behavior. That's not enough.

batman36

Reaction score

Yes sir, unattractive, indeed!

erod

Reaction score
So getting thrown out of school for basically being part of an out of control party that ended up doing some damage predicts being suspended for PEDs?

That's some fascinating logic. Thanks for the entertainment.
That was the last straw there. He was a repetitive problem.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
Now, if we can just settle in to camp, do the football stuff, shut our pieholes, adopt Garrett-speak, and chill out.....maybe, just maybe, we can get to that Giants game in relatively good shape.

Nobody is more irked than me about all of this hullaballoo. Nobody is more irritated with Zeke and his drama-a-minute lifestyle and chicanery than me. Nobody squirms through the off-field idiocy and the tunnel-visioned CNN-like coverage of it than yours truly.

But as long as that's it, no more foolishness going forward, then what is the league really going to do to him? Goodell is painted into a corner with Mara screaming in his ear, but aside from perhaps a stern lecture and a warning, what can he do? I'm not buying this accepted media narrative that 1-2 games is "expected"

I heard David Moore saying yesterday that they have to give Zeke some kind of suspension after spending all that time on this. Huh? That's the barometer now, "spending a lot of time"? No, David, there has to be something concrete that breaks league rules to justify a suspension, and right now, there's nothing really in that category so far except for possibly the recent nightclub incident.

Unless, Zeke is in the league substance program and we just don't know about it, I'm struggling to find a suspension-worthy action right now if the domestic thing has been dropped as we've heard. And again, I'm really getting tired of his silliness and antics, too. I almost wish they would to make a point to him, but I can't the justification they could use.

Likewise, the Jourdan Lewis thing looks like nothing. Carroll shouldn't even be here, so who cares? Irving was predictable given his past, and that light will burn out fast. Lucky sucked anyway and was going to be cut. Wilson doesn't have a history like this, so that should blow over. Gregory's career is long over and not worth discussion.

All in all, if everybody will just nip it right now, the Cowboys are OK. Let the media and Twitter have its fun and paint whatever image in their minds that makes them feel better.

If Cooper can play guard, Switzer can return punts, Tapper is healthy, Lawrence can return to form, Jaylon Smith can contribute, and Charlton and the young guys in the secondary can find their way, then this thing looks like it'll be salty enough to do what it was going to do anyway.

This damn franchise just never makes it easy for itself. But so far, this thing isn't over the edge, as much as Mara's minions and the Cowboy-hating media is trying to make it so.

Well put. But there's five words that can spell a Zeke suspension.

Conduct detrimental to the league.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
That was the last straw there. He was a repetitive problem.

So how does being in trouble in college relate again to unknowingly taking a supplement that contained a banned substance?

I can see if he had a legal issue or something but come on now.