The way I see it

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
With the upcoming draft and the Dallas Cowboys fans raving for a pass-rushing outside linebacker, a shut-down conerback that could convert into a safety, and a huge Offensive Tackle I really analyze how I draft should turn out.
Actually I took it upon myself to rate the players..

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

1. Kamerion Wimbley-

Shows an explosive first step and outstanding speed off the edge. Anticipates snap counts better than most prospects. Has the initial burst to get past offensive tackles without contact. Combines good quickness and agility with fluid hips and smooth change-of-direction skills. Beats offensive tackles with speed and quickness, and shows a good closing burst to the quarterback. Works best as a pursuing run defender. Breaks down and changes direction without losing speed in transition. Takes good angles, and tackles well in open field. Shows potential to drop back and cover in zone-blitz situations. Shows good instincts, and excels at diagnosing misdirection plays. Gets upfield quickly when reading pass.

2. Bobby Carpenter-

Could be the best blitzing linebacker in the draft. Is the most natural player in the draft at this position. Has good speed and size with a frame to add bulk. Shows good body control and change-of-direction skills. Can turn and run with tight ends and running backs in man-to-man coverage. Gets quickly into deep drops in zone coverage. Is tough with football smarts and awareness. Takes good angles to the ball, breaks down in pursuit and makes tackles in open field. Has experience at end; shows potential as an edge pass rusher. Shows good blitz instincts and a closing pass-rush burst. Is versatile -- can play everywhere at linebacker. Might fit best outside in a 3-4 because of coverage range and pass-rush skills. Works hard. Has a great attitude. Should contribute early on special teams.

3. Manny Lawson-

Is very fast and can be a real dominating force in a game. He could be a feared sack artist in the NFL. Is an outstanding natural athlete with rare speed. Plays bigger than his size would indicate. Is an explosive tackler. As a pass rusher, flies off the edge and shows a great closing burst. Is raw, but continues to develop pass-rush moves. Has steadily matured. Shows the speed to blow past top offensive tackles. Chases down the ball well in pursuit. Shows good instincts, takes good angles to the ball and makes sound open-field tackles. Is a demon on special teams. Works hard in the weight room, and shows the potential to add bulk.

4. Thomas Howard-

thomashoward.jpg

He could play outside linebacker and safety. Very fast and can help as a pass-rusher. Has outstanding speed and size with the frame to add bulk. Shows first-step burst, great body control and change-of-direction skills. Makes plays sideline-to-sideline. Disrupts many plays in the backfield. Is aggressive in pursuit, uses hands well to fight through traffic and chases down the ball from behind. Tackles with pop. Is an effective edge pass rusher; shows a good closing burst. Has upside in coverage because of athleticism and smooth transition in hips to turn and run. Can contribute immediately on special teams.

5. James Wyche-

He plays defensive end but, has the size to play outside linebacker. Is tall with long arms. Has gotten steadily stronger. Has the frame to add more bulk and strength. Shows great upper-body power; uses hands well to shed blocks. Beats offensive tackles on the edge with quickness, strength and an array of pass-rush moves. Shows good closing burst. Changes directions with fluid hips without losing speed. Takes good angles to the ball in pursuit. Is a powerful open-field tackler.

DEFENSIVE BACK

1. Jimmy Williams-

He has nice size and can be versatile in the Dallas Cowboys secondary. Has great height, size, speed and long arms. Is a versatile playmaker. Can play cornerback or safety. Excels in man-to-man coverage, and easily reroutes receivers. Has excellent strength, is physical and challenges for jump balls. Uses size effectively in the red zone. Shows quick, fluid hip movement to turn and run with any receiver. Excels at changing directions. Must improve zone awareness. Has rare quickness, change-of-direction skills and speed. Makes quick cuts in tight spaces. Is smooth. Shows an outstanding burst on the ball. Is a natural playmaker. Is aggressive, and has the size and strength to win battles. Shows good hands. Is a threat to score after every interception.
Has good size, bulk and strength. Comes up and fills the hole hard. Is physical, tackles well and hits hard.

2. Antonio Cromartie-

Is very tall and can help either as a safety or a conerback. Has excellent speed. Consistently uses his height, long arms and athleticism to easily jam and redirect receivers. Shows good footwork and fluid hip movement in man-to-man coverage. Shows outstanding instincts. Outjumps receivers, and uses strong hands to challenge for passes. Contributes well in run support. Has played wide receiver and could return kicks.

3. Jason Allen-

Before the hip injury he could've been the best Defensive back in this upcoming NFL Draft. Is a playmaker who uses his long arms, leaping ability and strength to win jump balls and take away passes. Plays well against the run and in coverage. Has decent speed, good burst and great ball skills. Is tall and smooth and can turn and run with receivers. Fills the hole hard against the run, tackles well in the open field and uses his size to make big hits. Excels at redirecting receivers at the line of scrimmage. Is comfortable playing in the tackle box. Can shed blockers.

4. Pat Watkins-

Is tall with a long wingspan. Is a presence in the red zone when defending fade patterns against larger receivers. Is great in zone coverage; can cover ground with long strides. Has great recovery speed and can chase down receivers from behind. Has good ball skills. Recognizes and reads routes well. Is a prototypical deep defender; doesn't let receivers get behind him.

5. Ko Simpson-

Has excellent height and frame to add bulk. Has good speed and outstanding ball skills. Has great instincts in the passing game; reads the quarterback’s eyes and gets a jump on the ball. Is athletic; makes quick adjustments to the ball in the air. Has great strength for his size. Is a threat in running game; takes great angles to the ball and explodes through the ball carrier. Is physical in coverage and can box out larger receivers. Has good recovery speed. Makes open-field tackles well enough to cover kicks on special teams.

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

1. Winston Justice-

Justice, a great athlete, played in a pro-style offense at USC, where he started since his freshman season. He missed a season because of a suspension but kept himself in terrific shape and played well this past season, though it is clear he still needs time to develop. His off-field trouble might hold him back a bit, but he has the physical skills and attitude to become a great NFL player. His upside as a pass protector makes him a possible first-rounder. Honestly im against the Dallas Cowboys getting an offensive lineman in the first Round but Winston Justic is one of a kind..

2. Marcus McNeil-

Is a huge man who didn't help himself much as a senior. Started poorly, but came on late. Is a durability concern. Is a strong run blocker who can drive back defensive linemen. Is an athletic player who can reach and squash linebackers. Is surprisingly nimble, but loses balance at times. Has trouble with edge speed at times. Plays tall and bends too much at his waist. Struggles to combat pass rushers’ counter moves. Fails to sustain blocks. Is a little similar to the Eagles’ Tra Thomas. This is another player I said could be exceptional only if we could trade down into almost the end of the 1st round.

3. Johnathan Scott-

jonScott_big12.jpg
:starspin 3rd Round

Is big and is compared to Mike Williams. Johnathan Scott is Texas best offensive lineman. He is very fast on his feet for a offensive lineman. Has all the right tools: big, strong and athletic. Shows good speed; excels at using feet to set up in pass protection. Has a super-strong upper body and delivers good initial pop. Uses long arms to ride off defenders. Has the quickness and power to get to linebackers. Is smart and durable with great character.

4. Eric Winston-
66857.jpg

Did not have a great senior season, but could improve as he continues to recover from a knee injury. Has thick legs, and can maul defensive linemen. Blocks more with size than explosion. Is a good technician who takes proper angles to defenders. Has short arms, and thus lacks an ideal hand punch and arm extension. Loses balance at times. Struggles to block linebackers on the second level. Might lack athleticism to play left tackle. Could be moved inside to guard.

5. Andrew Whitworth-

Did not have a great senior season, but could improve as he continues to recover from a knee injury. Has thick legs, and can maul defensive linemen. Blocks more with size than explosion. Is a good technician who takes proper angles to defenders. Has short arms, and thus lacks an ideal hand punch and arm extension. Loses balance at times. Struggles to block linebackers on the second level. Might lack athleticism to play left tackle. Could be moved inside to guard.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
That would be a great post, but it was really long, and I wasnt able to finish it, didnt want to make my self go blind..........apparently I'm smarter than the first guy that replied, good thing he cant see what I'm typing. lol j/k

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Doesn't Parcells know Howard's dad, or something like that?

There is a connection there IIRC. Not that it matters a whole lot. I was just curious if anyone knows what the actual connection is.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
The two questions that are relevant is:

1) Can Wimbley and/or Lawson make the translation to OLB like Ware did. Not everyone can do it smoothly like Ware did. There will be growing pains, for sure.

2) Are either of them a SOLB? Ware is our WOLB. Carpenter is the perfect fit for SOLB.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
Vintage said:
Doesn't Parcells know Howard's dad, or something like that?

There is a connection there IIRC. Not that it matters a whole lot. I was just curious if anyone knows what the actual connection is.

Parcells coached Thomas Howard father...

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
Parcells coached Thomas Howard father...

Wrong LB, Parcells coached Bobby Carpenters father, and shares the same agent with him as well

Tricky-22

Git R Done
Reaction score
Give me the following:

Bobby Carpenter
Antonio Cromartie
Davin Joseph
Hank Baskett

And I'll be a happy camper.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
I think you are dead on with your linebackers. Really, I didn't have a problem with any of your rankings outside of Eric Winston should be way above Jonathon Scott. Remember he was coming off a knee injury last year, and before that he was dynamite.

MiStar

Reaction score
What's the knock on Johnathon Scott? He's got the best feet of any lineman outside of D-brickshaw, and he dominated in college. What's not to like?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
MiStar said:
What's the knock on Johnathon Scott? He's got the best feet of any lineman outside of D-brickshaw, and he dominated in college. What's not to like?

Maybe his 14 reps in the benchpress has some people thinking he is a long ways from being ready for prime time. That is absolutely pathetic for a lineman, particularly when USC RB Lendale White got reamed for only doing 15.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Wrong LB, Parcells coached Bobby Carpenters father, and shares the same agent with him as well
Actually I think he coached BOTH of their fathers. Bobby's dad Rob was a Running Back for the Houston Oilers and then under Parcells with the NY Giants. Thomas' father played for Texas Tech and was coached by Bill Parcells there in the mid 1970's.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Actually I think he coached BOTH of their fathers. Bobby's dad Rob was a Running Back for the Houston Oilers and then under Parcells with the NY Giants. Thomas' father played for Texas Tech and was coached by Bill Parcells there in the mid 1970's.

Yeah, there we go....

Thanks.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
JackMagist said:

Now that I did not know, thanks :)

ghst187

Reaction score
Vintage said:
The two questions that are relevant is:

1) Can Wimbley and/or Lawson make the translation to OLB like Ware did. Not everyone can do it smoothly like Ware did. There will be growing pains, for sure.

2) Are either of them a SOLB? Ware is our WOLB. Carpenter is the perfect fit for SOLB.

1) Lawson has already played a good deal of LB so I'd say yes to him. Wimbley concerns me a bit on this, he seems like another Greg Ellis type, which really wouldn't help us upgrade. I imagine he has the athleticism to make the transition but still a lof of ???'s.

2) I agree on the Carpenter comment. The reason I like Lawson so much is that he's just a freak. Carpenter may be the best fit for us and would contribute more immediately IMO.

proline

Reaction score
From the highlights I've seen of Manny Lawson, I disagree with the original poster's assessment that he is an explosive tackler. He might be able to hit the QB hard when he's standing still, but I've seen many tackles on RB's where he has to drag and trip in order to finally bring them down.

proline

Reaction score
ghst187 said:
1) Lawson has already played a good deal of LB so I'd say yes to him.

Why was Lawson moved to DE? Maybe he stunk at LB? He didn't start at LB (although State plays a 2 deep rotation everywhere on defense), but he just might not have the instincts to play LB.

proline

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Maybe his 14 reps in the benchpress has some people thinking he is a long ways from being ready for prime time. That is absolutely pathetic for a lineman, particularly when USC RB Lendale White got reamed for only doing 15.

I'd be leary of a guy with such low benchpress reps. IIRC, Al Johnson was also pretty sub-par on the benchpress, and he gets pushed around on a regular basis.

Just googled it, and found this link about Al Johnson. Here is a quote from it ...

"Now those same scouts want to see Johnson work on his upper-body strength, which was sorely lacking Wednesday. The 6-foot-31/2, 305-pound Johnson made it through just 18 repetitions of 225 pounds in the bench-press. By comparison, 11 of the 15 centers who tested at the NFL scouting combine last month in Indianapolis had better numbers."

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
THUMPER said:

Yeah and at USC's Pro Day another guy did 14 bench press reps. Tom Malone.... THE PUNTER!