The wife and I are having a light weight argument

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
You were in the wrong for ordering 8 tacos at Jack-in-the-Box and that's what your wife should cut you off for.
I dont know how many of those tacos I ate when I was a youngster but it was my last stop late night after getting tanked up on beer 2 for 49 cents and I think they were 2 for 29 cents for a while I think they help to prevent hangovers

Vanilla2

Reaction score
They’d cover it at the dispensary, but unless they got change floating around the cash register I bet they are strict on balancing the drawer.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
The wife and I are having an argument (light weight)

I went to Jack In The Box today ordered 8 tacos. 8.01.

I hand a girl a 10, she asks me......you have a penny?
I reach in my pocket thinking I did but wrong, so......sorry!

Ok I expected her to simply shine the penny. Yep...forget it.

Nope....she hands me a buck and 99 cents.

I ran that by the wife.....she did the right thing,

I disagree, so...????

The Mrs is right

kskboys

Reaction score

I disagree, so...????
She did her job and did it well. You should be commending her.

Flamma

Reaction score

I disagree, so...????

Like others have said, it's probably a register issue and being even at the end. No one wants to dig out all that change, that's probably why she asked you for a penny. Not for you, but to save her from digging it out.

I'm a toll collector and if a toll is 2.05 for example, and they give me 3 bucks, I just give a dollar back. I can't be bothered, I'm trying to watch you tube. I don't care about the nickel. But then again, I don't have a register, and I can be over or under 15 bucks every day. So the nickel, or 200 nickels isn't going to bother me.

Praxit

Reaction score
You don’t have a bunch of spare change in your console? I probably have $10 at least…:lmao2:

BTW, she did the right thing, that wasn’t the 7-Eleven penny tray :thumbup:
...dude...lol.. no kidding. I have **** load of change in car, especially pennies. Pennies with soda, gum, chips etc.. on them.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Some places are really anal about cashiers balancing their drawers so she was probably just doing her job.

As an undergrad I worked at a Hastings. Now out of business, but it was a pretty cool store in that it was video rental/sales, video game rental/sales, book sales, music sales, musical instrument sales, kiddie corner playpen, and they had a junk section that looked like a Spencer's. You could get DVDs, CDs, and video games resurfaced there. Just a conglomerate of stuff. You could buy, sell, trade, etc. I worked a Black Friday and my cash drawer came out perfectly balanced at the end. Over two thousands dollars in cash (probably double those sales in credit receipts so like 30 transactions an hour for 10 hours) and I nailed it down to the penny. My direct supervisor was like "nice job dude, spot on". He tried giving me one of those cheesy, corporate, "atta boys" awards. Think it was like a small gift card to the store so it was almost completely meaningless, but felt good to at least be recognized for working my $6.00/hr job.

His boss tossed away my nomination paper and just told him "that's what he's supposed to do. that's not going above and beyond".

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The tacos were actually her idea, in case ya don't know here is a unique taco, it has a totally different taste. AND.....1.48 for two. Can't beat that.

$1.48 for 2? The regular Tacos here have been 2 for 0.99 ever since the place opened about 25 years ago.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
As an undergrad I worked at a Hastings. Now out of business, but it was a pretty cool store in that it was video rental/sales, video game rental/sales, book sales, music sales, musical instrument sales, kiddie corner playpen, and they had a junk section that looked like a Spencer's. You could get DVDs, CDs, and video games resurfaced there. Just a conglomerate of stuff. You could buy, sell, trade, etc. I worked a Black Friday and my cash drawer came out perfectly balanced at the end. Over two thousands dollars in cash (probably double those sales in credit receipts so like 30 transactions an hour for 10 hours) and I nailed it down to the penny. My direct supervisor was like "nice job dude, spot on". He tried giving me one of those cheesy, corporate, "atta boys" awards. Think it was like a small gift card to the store so it was almost completely meaningless, but felt good to at least be recognized for working my $6.00/hr job.

His boss tossed away my nomination paper and just told him "that's what he's supposed to do. that's not going above and beyond".

Small world, after college, before I got in computers, I managed a Hastings store here in CO for about 2 years.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Small world, after college, before I got in computers, I managed a Hastings store here in CO for about 2 years.

Where at in CO? I lived there around 2010 to 2014 and I'm not sure I ever saw one. Not even sure when they officially called it quits. I lived in Denver and the surrounding areas (Westminster & Olde Town Arvada) and I can't remember coming across one. Seen them outside of CO (Kansas and Idaho) but never in CO.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Where at in CO? I lived there around 2010 to 2014 and I'm not sure I ever saw one. Not even sure when they officially called it quits. I lived in Denver and the surrounding areas (Westminster & Olde Town Arvada) and I can't remember coming across one. Seen them outside of CO (Kansas and Idaho) but never in CO.

I live in Amarillo, TX, where Hastings was based. My boss was one of the bigwigs in IT for Hastings.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score

I am in Broomfield now but the Hastings store I managed was in Pueblo (yuck). There was another one in Greeley and I think Grand Junction but not 100% sure on that one it's been a while and my memory isn't what it was.

Creeper

Reaction score
I bought fuse at an auto parts store recently and it came to $5.25 with tax. As I fumbled in my pocket for a quarter the guy told me to keep it and took a $5 bill. Super nice of him but generally the guys who work in retail are just doing their jobs when they take your penny.

RaZon

Reaction score
$1.48 for 2? The regular Tacos here have been 2 for 0.99 ever since the place opened about 25 years ago.

Yes it was 99 cents for years, but,....

June 6, 2018 Jack in the Box is raising prices on tacos Taco Tuesday got a little more expensive in California. Jack in the Box said it would sell 2 for $1.29 instead of 99 cents at some locations because of wage increases.Photo via @business

rags747

Reaction score
Like others have said, it's probably a register issue and being even at the end. No one wants to dig out all that change, that's probably why she asked you for a penny. Not for you, but to save her from digging it out.

I'm a toll collector and if a toll is 2.05 for example, and they give me 3 bucks, I just give a dollar back. I can't be bothered, I'm trying to watch you tube. I don't care about the nickel. But then again, I don't have a register, and I can be over or under 15 bucks every day. So the nickel, or 200 nickels isn't going to bother me.
Toll collector, God Bless. Most toll collectors have been eliminated with all of the electronic devices these days. Will you be able to retire from there? Union or no?

Flamma

Reaction score
Toll collector, God Bless. Most toll collectors have been eliminated with all of the electronic devices these days. Will you be able to retire from there? Union or no?

Yes union. I can retire after 25 years and I started in 1997, so yes.

Back then I used to handle roughly 1500 vehicles a day. This past Friday I had 62. The difference is staggering. So I'm usually on Netflix or youtube.

The roadway I work on is different than most. Collectors on Bridges, tunnels, and single pay toll roads are easily replaced by machines. With mine, if you don't have EZ-Pass, you have to get a ticket when you enter, hand it in when you exit. This leaves room for error, and people make a lot of them. Sadly, the extra revenue from user error is probably why we'll be the last to go. That along with paying new hires very little. There's 4 ways they generate extra revenue by keeping us. Fines for going through the wrong lane. When people ask for a pay online slip. Excess time. Lost ticket. They add up to a ton. That said, I give it a decade at most.