The World's Smartest Dog

Pass2Run

Reaction score
There has to be at least a few dog people in here. I came across this and thought the research they were doing was pretty interesting.

Love dogs myself.

On the other hand, there is research out there that concludes your cats would actually kill you and eat you if they could. I've had dogs who would howl when I got home (RIP, Buddy) and I've always knew dogs genuinely loved their people — if you treat them right.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Anyone who didn't realize most of what this is saying just hasn't been paying attention, or they bought into the crap that other people told them about dogs being stupid, or only licking you for the salt or to get food.

When I was 20, my sister got a German Shepherd from the pound. Blackjack didn't listen to anything she said, would run off for hours, and was just untrainable...for her. She finally gave up on him, so I took him. I trained him myself, and within probably 6 months, he was an excellent dog...for me. He pretty much only listened to me when he was outside, and if anyone other than me opened the door, he was gone. After a while, even that stopped being an issue, and about 2 years after I got him, I moved to a horse farm in Maine, so I gave him back to my sister, who never had any problems with him after that.

Fast forward about a year, and I went to see my sister. The moment Blackjack saw me, he ran upstairs and returned with the rawhide bone that I'd given him for Christmas and dropped it at my feet and started licking my face and crying. He never even chewed on the rawhide. He just kept it as a keepsake, to remember me.

Anyone who thinks dogs don't know love are absolutely ignorant.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Anyone who didn't realize most of what this is saying just hasn't been paying attention, or they bought into the crap that other people told them about dogs being stupid, or only licking you for the salt or to get food.

When I was 20, my sister got a German Shepherd from the pound. Blackjack didn't listen to anything she said, would run off for hours, and was just untrainable...for her. She finally gave up on him, so I took him. I trained him myself, and within probably 6 months, he was an excellent dog...for me. He pretty much only listened to me when he was outside, and if anyone other than me opened the door, he was gone. After a while, even that stopped being an issue, and about 2 years after I got him, I moved to a horse farm in Maine, so I gave him back to my sister, who never had any problems with him after that.

Fast forward about a year, and I went to see my sister. The moment Blackjack saw me, he ran upstairs and returned with the rawhide bone that I'd given him for Christmas and dropped it at my feet and started licking my face and crying. He never even chewed on the rawhide. He just kept it as a keepsake, to remember me.

German Shepherds seem to take it to an even higher level, in my experience. Especially males.

I thought long and hard before I made the decision to get what will most likely be my last puppy a year and a half ago. I did not want to him to outlive me and have to deal with the loss of the most important thing in his life.

I'll never forget the way my previous male reacted the evening he seemed to suddenly realize his lifelong partner in canine crime wasn't coming home. It was two weeks after we had to let her go. He got up from his bed one evening, walked over to her favorite spot and started wailing. Broke my damn heart. Choking up just writing this memory down.

As I finish typing this my female has just arrived to pester for her dinner. She is within 5 minutes either way every single night. The only problem is I haven't been able to get her to understand the concept of DST and ST so she has been an hour early since the time change. Or maybe she is just trying to play me. I wouldn't put it past her.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score

Coolest creatures God ever created. That includes us Humans

HungryLion

Reaction score
I told this story before on here but will mention it in this thread again.

When my dad was growing up, he had a female German shepherd named Gretchen.

She would walk my dad and his brother to school in the morning. Then walk home by herself.

Then in the afternoon she would walk back to the school in the afternoon and pick up ky dad and brother to walk them back home.

Also, when I was in high school one of my teachers was blind. He had a German shepherd seeing eye dog that would walk him to work and back and also hangout in the classroom keeping an eye on all us kids.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I told this story before on here but will mention it in this thread again.

When my dad was growing up, he had a female German shepherd named Gretchen.

She would walk my dad and his brother to school in the morning. Then walk home by herself.

Then in the afternoon she would walk back to the school in the afternoon and pick up ky dad and brother to walk them back home.

Also, when I was in high school one of my teachers was blind. He had a German shepherd seeing eye dog that would walk him to work and back and also hangout in the classroom keeping an eye on all us kids.
This is weird:

I had a friend who had a white German Shepherd name Gretchen.

My family had a blind horse that used to walk to the bus stop to meet my sister when she came home from school.

It's the multiverse in action, right before our eyes!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
LOL A cat would eat you if they were as big as their counterpart lions and tigers. They just don't give a $#$*# no matter how cute they look. LOL

I think of Bill Burr's stand-up on dogs and why he loves them so much. Everytime he comes home, no matter what --- "You're awesome dude, you're awesome!"

That's how I feel everytime I come home to my boy. He's a German Shepherd too, so super smart.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Totally.

I had one dog that I trained to go get his bowl, like a metal bowl.. and when he wanted to eat, he would bring it to me. But like you said, I realized he was smarter than you would think because he would do things that indicated more intelligence than meets the eye like wait at the window to see me come back like all day... Poor fella. Then when I would get home he would just wag his tail and howl, like you bastid, where ya been?

I could put food on his nose and make him wait for me to tell him to eat it. And he would throw it up in the air with his nose and catch it, like most of the time.

Miss that dog.

Before my ex-wife brough home a Jack Russell, I hated those dogs. But I grew to love the one she got even after he **** on my shoe the first day he got home. Turns out, he was just nervous. He loved everyone, and you couldn't take him out without him running up to everyone, and putting his butt in the air while he crouched down.. that meant you knew he wanted to go meet someone.

Dogs are awesome. I currently don't have one because I live in an apartment, and don't feel that is fair to the dog. But I'll get another one after I move from here in about a year or so.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Border Collies are famous for their intelligence.

Yep, my first dog ever was a Border Collie. I was around 9 and slipped into a pond that had a steep bank, and couldn't get out for what seemed like an eternity because my feet were stuck. So I called over my dog, who could tell something was not right. I would pull and she just wasn't big enough to get me out. But she would inch back up to help me, and wasn't going to leave, obviously. So, she apparently had an intuition, that if I just walked over to the left side, I would be able to get out because it wasn't as steep there. So the 8th or 9th time I grabbed her collar, she started heading towards the other side.. and then I figured out, hey, I can actually walk out this way,,,,my shoes got stuck in the bottom of the pond, and are likely still there to this day... But thanks to the Missy, I probably got out sooner than I would have had she not been there.

That dog was super smart, except for she liked to chase cars, and that ended up being her demise.

By the way, the dog in that video obviously has great spatial reasoning.. you can see that when she goes to one said, checks, then goes back to the other side. Totally knows what's going on.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I was driving through town one day about three years ago on a rather busy main road and noticed cars in front of me slowing and swerving quickly. Then I saw why, a tiny puppy was in the road, he came an inch from being crushed by the truck in front of me, I think the tire actually grazed him. So of course, being the sucker for animals I am, I stopped and saved his little butt. There were houses on either side of the road but I had no way of knowing which one, if any, he belonged to, besides, whoever owned him wasn't vary careful, so I took him home. I already had three dogs, and they didn't care much for the newbie. While I'm sure they would have eventually, I decided to see if my sister wanted him, knowing she had recently lost her dog she had for years.

She quickly took me up on the offer and came to get him. All we knew was he was a little black ball of fur with a white streak on his nose. Well, as he grew it because obvious he was full blood Border Collie. He's around three years old now, lives on a one hundred acre horse farm and live in the house, sleeps on the bed with my Sis and Bro in law. Their kids are all grown and out of the house so "Merle" as they named him is their new kid. That dog doesn't know how lucky he is. He came less than an inch from being smashed on the roadway and is now living like a king. He's smart as a whip and I joke that it was all a plot by him to land a cushy home.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was driving through town one day about three years ago on a rather busy main road and noticed cars in front of me slowing and swerving quickly. Then I saw why, a tiny puppy was in the road, he came an inch from being crushed by the truck in front of me, I think the tire actually grazed him. So of course, being the sucker for animals I am, I stopped and saved his little butt. There were houses on either side of the road but I had no way of knowing which one, if any, he belonged to, besides, whoever owned him wasn't vary careful, so I took him home. I already had three dogs, and they didn't care much for the newbie. While I'm sure they would have eventually, I decided to see if my sister wanted him, knowing she had recently lost her dog she had for years.

She quickly took me up on the offer and came to get him. All we knew was he was a little black ball of fur with a white streak on his nose. Well, as he grew it because obvious he was full blood Border Collie. He's around three years old now, lives on a one hundred acre horse farm and live in the house, sleeps on the bed with my Sis and Bro in law. Their kids are all grown and out of the house so "Merle" as they named him is their new kid. That dog doesn't know how lucky he is. He came less than an inch from being smashed on the roadway and is now living like a king. He's smart as a whip and I joke that it was all a plot by him to land a cushy home.
Excellent story!

SlammedZero

Reaction score

1000% I believe this. Years ago, I was on the clock doing some communications for the City of Caldwell (suburb of Boise). I was working in their police cruiser shop that butted up against some of their K9 training. Somehow I got chatting with some employee there about the K9s, and to make a long story short, he was rambling on to me that dogs are purely instinctive and cannot love and don't know what love is. I was on the clock, so as a HUGE dog lover, I had to sit there and bite my tongue because I really had a lot I wanted to say. I basically ended the conversation and made mention that hopefully he never owns any dogs, kind of got a look from him, and then walked off. lol

I love all my pups. They're part of my family and I would protect them as such. I feel like the feelings from them are mutual.