TheCount's Early Mock

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
1. Mike Iupati, Idaho - Height: 6-5. Weight: 325. (OG/OT)
I think we all know the deal with Iupati at this point, hopefully he continues to perform well... but not TOO well, if you catch my drift. Maybe not an immediate replacement for anyone on the roster, but Kosier is going into his last year, so there's a spot for him in the near future even if he doesn't pan out at tackle.

2. Jerome Murphy, South Florida - Height: 6-1. Weight: 190 (FS/CB)
He's going into the draft as a CB but he's a hitter and mobile enough to play FS. Not the heaviest guy but he can obviously gain a little bit more. Had 77 tackles and 8 pass breakups this year to go with 4 ints. Getting 77 tackles at CB is kind of a feat in itself. He's going to actually have to tone down his aggression to play safety.

3. John Jerry, Ole Miss - Height: 6-5. Weight: 332 (OG/OT)
We like our linemen big and Jerry is that and more. 4 year starter with experience at multiple positions, so he's pretty polished. I think you'll hear more about this guy as we get closer to the draft. Has good enough feet to play RT if we end up with Free at LT.

4. Alex Carrington, Arkansas State - Height: 6-5. Weight: 284 (DE)
I would prefer Mike Neal of Purdue but he'll be long gone by this point. Carrington played in the Sun Belt which doesn't help, but he's got the size and strength and is known to get to the QB. I don't think we need to invest a very high pick at DE, Wade has brought the Front 7 together as a unit. I also think we'll probably hang onto some of our FA's at DE anyway so Carrington has time to learn.

6. Brandon Banks, Kansas State - Height: 5-7. Weight: 155 (WR/ST)
Special teams ace, and a little bit of a do-it-all. Banks is pretty slight of frame, he's going to have to add something to keep from being murdered on Sunday but boy is he explosive. Expected to run a 4.2x at the combine, he can factor in immediately at special teams (where he returned 4 kickoffs for TD's) and sprinkle him in a bit on offense where he's both ran and caught the ball. He ended the year with 67 catches for 1049 yards and 9 TD's.

7. Brandon Deaderick, Alabama - Height: 6-4. Weight: 295 (DE)
Tough kid. In a botched robbery attempt, he tried to fight the gun away from the guy and ended up getting shot in the arm. 5 days later he was back on the field. So he's a tough kid that has had experience in the 3-4 already since that's what Alabama plays.

Thoughts? Comments?

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I like it.

Iupati is going to be real interesting this draft. I hope he keeps going out for LT. It's going to hurt his stock alot since LT's are at a premium. If he were to play OG for us he would start over Kosier this year and be a probowler from day 1.

Like someone else said. All it takes is one team to reach and it completely ****s up the draft. Maclin was a top ten pick last year. He falls to 19 because of Oakland.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3257810 said:
I like it.

Iupati is going to be real interesting this draft. I hope he keeps going out for LT. It's going to hurt his stock alot since LT's are at a premium. If he were to play OG for us he would start over Kosier this year and be a probowler from day 1.

Like someone else said. All it takes is one team to reach and it completely ****s up the draft. Maclin was a top ten pick last year. He falls to 19 because of Oakland.

Hows that? Had Oakland not tooken a WR and San Fran takes Crabtree Maclin still falls-

Now if Al Davis was banned from life and someone normal was picking Crabtree goes 7th and Maclin goes 10th.

but thats not possible with Davis.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3257826 said:
Hows that? Had Oakland not tooken a WR and San Fran takes Crabtree Maclin still falls-

Now if Al Davis was banned from life and someone normal was picking Crabtree goes 7th and Maclin goes 10th.

but thats not possible with Davis.

We don't know if Frisco was high on Maclin or not. I'm just saying. A player can tumble because of a teams need.

RS12

Reaction score
I could live with it count by I am really starting to want Kyle Wilson in rd2 over a saftey. Wilson would give them two play makers on the corners.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
RS12;3257894 said:
I could live with it count by I am really starting to want Kyle Wilson in rd2 over a saftey. Wilson would give them two play makers on the corners.

Yeah, I was looking at corners there too but Newman isn't going anywhere anytime soon so I don't think we'll go for one that early unless he's got other talents (like kick/punt returner).

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I don't know anything about this Brandon Banks kid, but isn't 5'7 155 for a wide receiver too small? I'd understand if he was 5'8-5'9 and 175, but it'd seem to me like he'd have to gain some mass and he'd still be vastly undersized and slower with the extra weight.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
8FOR!3;3258066 said:
I don't know anything about this Brandon Banks kid, but isn't 5'7 155 for a wide receiver too small? I'd understand if he was 5'8-5'9 and 175, but it'd seem to me like he'd have to gain some mass and he'd still be vastly undersized and slower with the extra weight.

Yup, he's definitely small. He's more of a special teams guy that you can find other uses for, or not. I'm not real comfortable with the pick either, to be honest but we need an explosive returner.

Caution: Youtube Highlight Reel Incoming

[youtube]jKd2rQCGM_E[/youtube]

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
Like the number one pick

2 ok but would rather have K Wilson

3 Why an G - I want a Center Gaurd like C/G Matt Tennant, Boston College

4I go DT D'Anthony Smith, Louisiana Tech

6 ISLB Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State

7 DE Brandon Deaderick, Alabama

nice tho

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I love it, although I don't like the Banks pick

doesn't fit our profile of players (is tiny)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TheCount;3257900 said:
Yeah, I was looking at corners there too but Newman isn't going anywhere anytime soon so I don't think we'll go for one that early unless he's got other talents (like kick/punt returner).

and you can't go wrong with a CB from South Florida

he's eerily similar to Mike Jenkins

it's scary

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
TheCount;3257790 said:
1. Mike Iupati, Idaho - Height: 6-5. Weight: 325. (OG/OT)
I think we all know the deal with Iupati at this point, hopefully he continues to perform well... but not TOO well, if you catch my drift. Maybe not an immediate replacement for anyone on the roster, but Kosier is going into his last year, so there's a spot for him in the near future even if he doesn't pan out at tackle.

2. Jerome Murphy, South Florida - Height: 6-1. Weight: 190 (FS/CB)
He's going into the draft as a CB but he's a hitter and mobile enough to play FS. Not the heaviest guy but he can obviously gain a little bit more. Had 77 tackles and 8 pass breakups this year to go with 4 ints. Getting 77 tackles at CB is kind of a feat in itself. He's going to actually have to tone down his aggression to play safety.

3. John Jerry, Ole Miss - Height: 6-5. Weight: 332 (OG/OT)
We like our linemen big and Jerry is that and more. 4 year starter with experience at multiple positions, so he's pretty polished. I think you'll hear more about this guy as we get closer to the draft. Has good enough feet to play RT if we end up with Free at LT.

4. Alex Carrington, Arkansas State - Height: 6-5. Weight: 284 (DE)
I would prefer Mike Neal of Purdue but he'll be long gone by this point. Carrington played in the Sun Belt which doesn't help, but he's got the size and strength and is known to get to the QB. I don't think we need to invest a very high pick at DE, Wade has brought the Front 7 together as a unit. I also think we'll probably hang onto some of our FA's at DE anyway so Carrington has time to learn.

6. Brandon Banks, Kansas State - Height: 5-7. Weight: 155 (WR/ST)
Special teams ace, and a little bit of a do-it-all. Banks is pretty slight of frame, he's going to have to add something to keep from being murdered on Sunday but boy is he explosive. Expected to run a 4.2x at the combine, he can factor in immediately at special teams (where he returned 4 kickoffs for TD's) and sprinkle him in a bit on offense where he's both ran and caught the ball. He ended the year with 67 catches for 1049 yards and 9 TD's.

7. Brandon Deaderick, Alabama - Height: 6-4. Weight: 295 (DE)
Tough kid. In a botched robbery attempt, he tried to fight the gun away from the guy and ended up getting shot in the arm. 5 days later he was back on the field. So he's a tough kid that has had experience in the 3-4 already since that's what Alabama plays.

Thoughts? Comments?

I don't care for Jerry at all, but otherwise I like this draft... I particularly like the picks from the 4th round on; Carrington and Deaderick are pure 3-4 DEs (and Carrington is unusually quick for a player that size), and Banks is lightning in a bottle...

Overall, not a bad draft at all...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
silverbear;3258512 said:
I don't care for Jerry at all, but otherwise I like this draft... I particularly like the picks from the 4th round on; Carrington and Deaderick are pure 3-4 DEs (and Carrington is unusually quick for a player that size), and Banks is lightning in a bottle...

Overall, not a bad draft at all...

Thanks. You may not like Jerry but try reading up a little about him. I think he'd be a great get in the 3rd or 4th if he's there. Reminds me a bit of Carl Nicks who the Saints picked up in the 5th and he's starting in the Superbowl.

He also showed up for the Senior Bowl almost 20 lbs lighter than he was expected to and looked good in drills, he's taking it seriously. He even had a bit of swagger.

Joe_Fan

Continuity Is Overrated
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3257810 said:
I like it.

And it still pisses me off that the Eagles ended up with Maclin. :(