Theories on NT, FS and OL

malbis030347

Reaction score
Observations I had as the draft ended yesterday...
....Since we ignored FS in the draft, we are going to battle with Hamlin and Watkins.
...we are going with Stanley or Radliff as Ferguson's backup, maybe Wade's 3/4 system would suit them better?
...by drafting not one but 2 OL, we are grooming Flo's replacement as we will not pay him 60m next year, it also will force him to play at the highest level if he expect other teams to be willing to pay him the ransom....also insurance in case Columbo or another lineman gets a major injury..
....any other theories?...

adamknite

Reaction score
Those aren't really theories, they're more like "observations"

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I am with you on the majority of this. What this draft suggest is that we will not be held hostage by Patrick Crayton...who will be an unrestricted free agent next year....he is a #3 WR...he will always be a #3 WR in my opinion...and if he wants to accept the contract of a #3 WR from Dallas, then he will remain a Cowboy...if he wants to get paid...we have his replacement

It also suggets we will not be held hostage by Flozell Adams....he has had long enough to show us that he deserved to retire a Cowboy...if he plays lights out...we pay him a fair contract based on the fact that he may have 3 or 4 years left...or we move on. Same thing for Columbo. Look the salary cap has gone up...if Flo and Columbo want Leonard Davis money...we have NO CHOICE but to let them seek it elsewhere.

As far as FS is concerned....our CBs are going to be forced to cover the WR up and down the field more next year. Not simply hand him off to the FS. If Newman wants Nate Clemments money...then NONE OF THIS COVER 2 BS. Any CB worth a d*mn can play cover 2. If you want big time money, you will be assigned a man and you will follow that man to the bathroom. Next year we will get to see Newman 1 on 1 and truly assess his value.

Here is my theory on a NT. Montavious Stanley is probably better depth than some kid on the 2nd day of the draft. He was in Dallas...cut...then brought back. That right there was probably the wake up call he needed to understand how this business works and what he needs to do if he wants a career in the NFL. Do you really think a KID on the 2nd day of the draft could be a better NT than Stanley?

joseephuss

Reaction score
I predict Dallas will pick up a back up NT after the final roster cuts. Some veteran guy will get cut and come to sit on his fat back side behind Ferguson.

burmafrd

Reaction score
One of the big problems I had with cover 2 was not playing man to man with our CBs. With both Henry and Newman, and GLenn on the nickel, we have the talent to play man to man- freeing up the safeties to roam and cause general havoc. BUt we never did. Newman now and then would be assigned to man the other teams #1 WR (look at how he owned Steve Smith and others)- but that did not happen often.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Agree with you on your assesment, with the free safety issue, that watkins and hamlin will battle it out for the spot, i still have hopes for watkins, he has the deep speed and the jumping ability, boy can he ever jump. If you look alittle deeper, in certain situations hamlin could even pressure roy williams at strong safey to play better. Roy, needs to knock off about 12 pounds, and come in about 230 or so, not 245 or 242. that is way too much for a strong safety.

I think they see something in stanley, you got to remember,most defensive linemen dont come into their own till about their 2nd or 3rd season, and stanley did come off a perctoral injury his senior year (chest injury), so you would think he couldnt play as good as he did. THen, if anybody can challenge stanley it should be Wade Phillips. I read one report from a well respected analyst and he said, if wade phillips can get stanley to get his head out of his hindquarters, then he will have a heck of a player. So, potential is there. Now for me, i still would like the Cowboys to get Walter Thomas, all 6-5 369 pounds of him, with a 525 pound bench press and 600 squat, I am drooling for the cowboys to get him, and let Walter Thomas meet Shawn Andrews, now that would be a war, then you add in this kid has only about 20 pounds of body fat, and he runs 40 in 4.9 to 5.2, thats awesome with the backflip he can do.

As to our offensive linemen we drafted, I think Marten will be groomed to take the place of Colombo in 2 years, if you remember, jerry jones said about 2 weeks ago that we have a rookie that were looking at, and this rookie has potential to be just as good as the vet, that we will have to pay 20 million dollars in 2 years, something like that. Doug Free will play left tackle, and i think they will see if McQuistan can play LOG, now, if they do that within 2 years, then you will have to draft backup offensive linemen, but in long term, i think you will have your offensive linemen fixed.

the key for us, is how well spencer can play left outside linebacker and put pressure in blitzes, helping ware. I think carpenter will be put back inside, he has the speed to cover deep down the middle, as you all know, bradie james and fowler couldnt cover.

the next big key for us, and something that everyone is overlooking is our 7th round draft choice in courtney brown, whom is 6-1, 205, and reported running about a 4.34 in 40, and he can cover and intercept. If he can play, and i cant think of the kids name, that was a 7th round draft choice for the giants in their super bowl run in 2000, he was all world and just as big as brown, adn fast. If you all look, at last year, our defensive backs, glenn, reeves and nate jones just werent getting it done at the end of the year, we need a young impact cornerback,

finally, if stanback is a good as everyone thinks he is, 6-2, 216 with a reported speed of 4.37 to 4.42 before his foot surgery, if he can run and help us on special teams, specifically punts, look out,

then, we got 3 very interesting undrafted free agents, moore QB that jaws was high on, and several scouts, battle a rb with 4.42 in 40, with good size 6-2 238, and i think he can push tyson thompson, then the rb from hapmton and the big huge te from houston that has only played one year of football, rodney hannah i th ink, whom is 6-8, 245, about a 4.75 in 40, whom was a former basketball player at college, which i am sure he can jump.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
I have a theory too.

If the coaching staff isn't as worried about our NT position as we are...maybe they know something we don't.

I know; its crazy, ludicrous, but I am just throwing that out there. If you don't like it; send it back.

On a serious note; I think we'll be fine with our NT rotation. Ferguson is solid. Ratliff and relieve him when necessary. And Stanley shouldn't be discounted. A year of strength training and a move towards a 1 gap scheme could work wonders for him. At least, he should be stronger and able to hold up better at the point of attack.

Gaede

Reaction score
I think the main reason we didn't address NT and S is because there weren't any good ones available where we picked. they probably thought that it's better to take a good player that can compete in the longrun (Stanback) than a mediocre player who will compete in the shortrun...In this regard, picking a NT might've been like the Bruce Thornton pick a couple years ago.

I agree completely with the assessment on tackles though. Free at LT; he'll have a year in an NFL program to get stronger. Marten at RT; Colombo is still a huge injury risk and even if he's healthy, possible leaving in two years. Watching his highlights, Marten looks identical to Colombo.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
NT will have to be a priority in the second FA period, honestly there weren't any good ones late, we probably need an older vet as short term answer, I mean you're not gonna get a stud nt late or in FA late, its gonna be an older guy who the cap gets or possibly has issues or whatever. But we'll be ok, I'l trust Wade on this, besides Spears can't rush anyway maybe he's so beefed up he's a biscuit away from a nt, kind of like Roy is a biscuit away from a lb. Besides this will be the closest Spears will ever be to the qb anyway, sorry had to get that one in, he can finally smell the qb..

sago1

Reaction score
I think all we can hope for is that a NT gets cut but frankly they don't fall off trees. I'm hoping Phillips has plans to deal with the situation if Ferguson gets hurt--and his better not be to jump off a bridge.

You hit the nail on the head with the observation re re-signing Adams. Free has the kind of talent needed at LT and he will have the time to develop/learn this year. I frankly don't expect Flozel to play any better in 07 for a variety of reasons & I don't want spend big cap money on him or his replacement. I'm hopeful Colombo will have a good year and expect Cowboys will pay him reasonable starting RT money if not go overboard, particularly if Marten or even McQuistan--waiting in the wings.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
joseephuss;1480899 said:
I predict Dallas will pick up a back up NT after the final roster cuts. Some veteran guy will get cut and come to sit on his fat back side behind Ferguson.

I am with you......some solid vet for a good cap figure.