Theory:: Pat Watkins (Two Comparisons)

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I think that Pat Watkins could learn how to be a conerback in the NFL.

If he plays conerback in the NFL he would be like former Bronco conerback Lenny Walls who I must mention was 6-3.....

At Safety Pat Watkins is compared to Marcus Coleman who's currently a Cowboy....

Thoughts?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
All the scouts say he can't cover man to man. He's a centerfield type guy in zones, so he doesn't have the tools to be a corner in the Cowboys system, maybe in the Tampa cover 2.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
All the scouts say he can't cover man to man. He's a centerfield type guy in zones, so he doesn't have the tools to be a corner in the Cowboys system, maybe in the Tampa cover 2.

I firgured his size make up for his speed... I know Parcells going to groom him real well, and possibly teach him how to cover...

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I haven't seen enough of him to make a comparison really. I saw very little of him in college and really have only seen his highlights. However, from those highlights he reminds me a lot of Michael Downs...someone else on here mentioned that as well. But watching his vids he really does run and move like Michael used to. If he is anywhere near as good as Michael was we have a keeper.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan said:
I firgured his size make up for his speed... I know Parcells going to groom him real well, and possibly teach him how to cover...
Only so much can be taught about man coverage; a great deal of natural ability is required. Even a very athletic person may not have the tools for man coverage. In coverage the player has to have the naturally fluid movement (particularly in the hips) to be able to twist around and run forward in the same direction that a moment ago he was running full speed backwards in (the thought is as convoluted as the motion).

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I think in some situations he might hold his own in man coverage. Obviously you wouldn't put him on Steve Smith or Santana Moss, but I think he could be effective against someone like Plaxico Burress or Joe Jurivicious. One scouting report said you wouldn't want to put him on Randy Moss. I think he could be very good running with Randy Moss deep down the field. Players that run great routes and are quick out of their cuts would probably eat his lunch though.

goshan

Reaction score
Nope. No chance.
Doesn't look that quick to me on highlights.
His frame is too long.
Corners are small and compact.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
With his speed and jumping ability, I'd like to see him in centerfield, running from side to side breaking up passing plays. Keep him at FS.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
I think in some situations he might hold his own in man coverage. Obviously you wouldn't put him on Steve Smith or Santana Moss, but I think he could be effective against someone like Plaxico Burress or Joe Jurivicious. One scouting report said you wouldn't want to put him on Randy Moss. I think he could be very good running with Randy Moss deep down the field. Players that run great routes and are quick out of their cuts would probably eat his lunch though.
I can see where he might be good in situational coverage against the likes of Burress and Jurivicious. But I wouldn't put him at corner on an every down basis because there are way too many of the Steve Smith / Santana Moss types out there.

As for covering Randy Moss; I'd rather have Watkins over the top and let someone else cover Moss tight down the field. Then Watkins would be there for the jump ball that Randy always gets. He might be the only DB around that can out jump Moss for a football.

ghst187

Reaction score
doesn't change direction well enough, a corner must be fast but also must be quick in his directional changes. Short steps are better than long strides if the speed is the same. Watkins is definitely a long strider, which is okay at FS where you're usually running linear to make a play on the ball.
His ridiculous size, great speed, wingspan, and leaping ability means that he can actually cover a LOT more area. Not sure how anyone is going to be able to throw over him. One thing is for sure, he plays the ball very well also. I think he's going to be an interception machine and will probably start by the end of the season if he keeps his head on straight.

JaiRiid

Reaction score
i would figure that if we intend to allow roy williams more room to roam closer to the line of scrimmage, it would be best to have centerfielder, zone coverage free safety... watkins can get to the sidelines and has serious up...

Eskimo

Reaction score
The one thing I envision is him swooping in on long-bombs and actually intercepting rather than merely knocking the ball away from the WR. There are a few things that you can't really teach that he excels at: speed, height, jumping ability and attacking the ball in the air.

It'd be fun to see him and Moss going after an underthrown pass. We don't play the Raiders for another 3 years though and who knows if Moss will even be around then the way his body is breaking down.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This is when you WILL see Watkins in coverage. Goal line situations, I can see them bringing in Coleman, and have Watkins shadow the TE or some freakishly big WR.
I can see that.

31smackdown

Reaction score
Basically what ghst said... he does not have a quick change of direction or bend and squat low enough to break suddenly. He's best in centerfield.. watching the qb and then beating the receiver to the ball.

Think Randal Williams.. but not as bad..

DCowboyz

Reaction score
I'm comparing him to S Ed Reed.. He might not be the same height/size as Reed but, it seems that Watkins will be a great cover-type, ball hawk Safety that Ed Reed is..

Just give the guy some time..

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
i hear man to man is a struggle with him and he is weak on covering corner routes and has a hard time changing direction (being so big and all) . . . hes one hell of an athlete with a big upside though.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
DCowboyz said:
I'm comparing him to S Ed Reed.. He might not be the same height/size as Reed but, it seems that Watkins will be a great cover-type, ball hawk Safety that Ed Reed is..

Just give the guy some time..

Coming from the guy thats dream is Marcus Vick in Dallas, this doesnt deserve a response.

Manster68

Reaction score
Look, Dallas hasn't had a tall, fast safety like this since Randy Hughes (part of the Dirty Dozen).

Hughes was groomed to be one of the replacements for either Harris or Waters. Good ol #42 was on his way to an excellent career with the Cowboys.

He was involved in three of the eight turnovers in Super Bowl XII. The man was a playmaker as a free safety and a darn good one.

Unfortunately, injuries shortened his career. What I also remember was Robert Shaw's career came to an end at the same time. Shaw was the center that benched Fitzgerald in his rookie season.

Bottom line is....

...Pat Watkins is a free safety and after suffering through a drought of talent there since Teague, maybe we should just appreciate him there and worry about another position on the team.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Manster68 said:
Look, Dallas hasn't had a tall, fast safety like this since Randy Hughes (part of the Dirty Dozen).

Hughes was groomed to be one of the replacements for either Harris or Waters. Good ol #42 was on his way to an excellent career with the Cowboys.

He was involved in three of the eight turnovers in Super Bowl XII. The man was a playmaker as a free safety and a darn good one.

Unfortunately, injuries shortened his career. What I also remember was Robert Shaw's career came to an end at the same time. Shaw was the center that benched Fitzgerald in his rookie season.

Bottom line is....

...Pat Watkins is a free safety and after suffering through a drought of talent there since Teague, maybe we should just appreciate him there and worry about another position on the team.

Teague really wasnt that good, he is just a big name in cowboys history because he was the one that layed the big hit on TO when he performed his little stunt on the star . . . so yea Teague was above-average but not really a great talent.