CFZ These are the two biggest games of the McCarthy era

CCBoy

Reaction score
If you win the super bowl all poor games and losses won't be forgotten but they will be far overshadowed by winning the championship. That is true for every team every year.
:muttley: Naw half the board will still be complaining about Jerry and Stephen and yelling the sky is falling.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The biggest game is the wildcard and then divisional round
Right. No matter what happens in these next two games, what happens in the playoffs will be his biggest games. Or does anyone believe if we beat Miami and Detroit then lose in the first round of the playoffs that that will be seen as a success?

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
It's tune-up time, it's not the playoffs but it's good preparation for the playoffs, and for the psyche of this team. Hopefully as a play caller Big Mike on point, it's time to find that playoff rhythm. I'm still waiting to see that discipline and toughness that was promised a few years back. Where is that toughness? Where is that discipline? Show me that you have the ear of the players.
The time is now, we need to show that we can be both discipline and physical.
How long will we allow physical teams to punch us in the face and take our lunch money. I want to see a different Cowboys team, I've waited long enough. The pressure is on, we cannot crumble under it again, it's squarely on the shoulders of Big Mike. Wash rinse repeat only works with laundry.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It's a multi-tasking reply.....;)

#1 To the eternally optimistic patrol - Yes, the world will remember a Super Bowl victory over any regular season games, but you're missing the point. If this team can't beat Miami and Detroit, along with the Buffalo defeat, there is no Super Bowl. You're looking at another one and out, one win at most like last time. That's why this is so huge.

#2 To the one game at a time patrol - Yes, postseason games are more important but to put it in context, this is year 4 of Big Mac Era, and 3rd run at Playoffs. They have cut the lazy players or ones that didn't sync. They got rid of the OC. If there is a 3rd quick playoff exit, something much larger now has to give. Like a Head Coach, a QB, or a roster overhaul. December regular season results affect playoff results.

#3 To the engineer patrol - Yes I realize it doesn't affect playoff seedings or mathematics. But it's a human game. And as I put in #1, it affects our playoff performance reality, and going with #2, putting it in context, this probably determines the rebuild direction next year. If Cowboys go into December losing 2-3 in a row, as Dandy Don used to say... "Turn out the lights, the party's over."

Even during the regular season these aren’t the biggest games of the McCarthy era coming up. The team may struggle to get motivated because they already have a playoff spot clinched
The Miami game has little to no value.

It won't affect seeding. The Cowboys could win or lose this game and be the division champion so long as the Giants beat the Eagles and the Cowboys win their remaining two games.
He's had much bigger games. Both against SF in the playoffs. It didn't go well. Fair to say these are biggest games for him this year...other than the SF game...which, didn't go well.
The biggest game is the wildcard and then divisional round
If the Cowboys go on a playoff run no one will care about regular season losses.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The situation at hand isn’t lost on the Cowboys. Dan Quinn broached the topic this week and vaguely outlined his plan of action.

“I think there’s a relentless nature in the way they can attack an edge,” Quinn said of Miami’s two rushers. “When you’re going up against a team with good speed, you really have to try to build a wall on the outside.”
In Buffalo, the Cowboys repeatedly lost contain and allowed rushers to run freely around the corner. Undisciplined play on the edge is something Quinn hopes to eliminate in Week 16. Of course, that’s easier said than done since Miami prides themselves on their speed, motion and ability to stretch a defense.

“There’s all sorts of weapons they have, but with the speed you can use at running back from out of the backfield, in motion, use them in the backfield in empty sets and bring it back quickly on jets – that’s the type of speed you better be ready for laterally.”
If WR Tyreek Hill can play, they also have arguably the best pass-catching duo in the NFL. Hill appears to be the fastest man in the league and Jaylen Waddle is one of the best young pass catchers in the game. Quinn can’t sneak his defense up to stop the run because these Miami WRs can get over the top in an instant.

It’s a big test for Quinn and his defense and will take discipline and fortitude to see it through. It all starts with a wall.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/2023/12/21/cowboys-plan-miami-rushing-prowess-week-16/

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
As mentioned above, no one will care about the regular season if they take care of business in the playoffs. But honestly, I think MM has already locked a return for next season, regardless of what happens in the playoffs. The fact he is taking this team to another playoff he will get to finish out his contract IMO. He's now coaching for an extension. In other words, NFCCG gets him an extension as one-and-done likely means he'll coach 2024 as a lame-duck.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not sure about the hot seat .

McCarthy is first HC this down era with 3 straight playoff appearances along with 3 straight double win seasons .

Jethro has stated that remaining relevant and interesting is the main objective .

Even if we win out this year in regular season barring an unusual upset with Egirls the Cowboys are still going to be facing being a WC team meaning they must win on the road in playoffs .

And while we’ll be favored in 1st round at possibly another losing record NFC South champ we won’t be favored in 2nd round on the road.

I understand fans frustration which I share but totally shaking up a coaching staff or team because we don’t meet our expectations doesn’t take into account other factors . Like possibly the teams in front of us are better. And the fact we don’t play as well on the road against good teams.

I think most would admit SF is a better team and prob best in NFL. Not sure why we’d expect to beat them but some fans have the last two years . And even Phi, while we split with them which we have going back like at least a decade , doesn’t mean we are a better team than the defending NFC Champs especially up there.

We are what we are and it is what it is. My hunch is this team has been over hyped cause we do have some talent in key positions and our very impressive wins over less than good teams . I get it. Fans get caught up in the hoopla. Are we contenders . Yes , barely.

But we probably still need a couple more pieces to take the next step on defense ( notably DT and LB),and probably offense at RB while shoring up OL. And that’s assuming we have enough at QB to rise up on the bigger stages. This year it looks like we do but it’s been iffy some years.

History has shown us that while we have had some good and great teams , we have ran up against teams which were greater unfortunately preventing us from more success. SF definitely appears to fit this mold and Phi could be as well.

If this bares out then Jethro will make some tweaks and delegate someone to take the fall if needed to help calm the waters but most likely the biggest change is going to be on defense as Quinn likely to be top prospect HC in off season. And whoever we name to take his place will probably be the talk of offseason. I wouldn’t be surprised to bring in another OC as well while MM continues calling plays .

But to expect Jethro to fire MM is quite a stretch. Our owner still says his worst firing was Gailey after his two seasons making the playoffs. Can’t see it after 3 straight playoffs. If he does he’ll be bashed more than resigning him.

Last edited:

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Before the season began, McCarthy was clearly on the hot seat. Two seasons in a row with an offensive slump in the final big game. He got rid of Kellen Moore and took over the offense. On defense, last year the Boys traded for Hankins, and then in the draft, they spent a first on Mazi. Clearly, the team is trying to stop its biggest defensive weakness - the run. It did not appear to be a problem last Playoff game but is showing its ugly head now in the late 2023 regular season. No one saw the Buffalo game coming. We knew they were a tough matchup, but to be dominated?

We are now in McCarthy's 3rd Playoff Run. Cowboys have the toughest end of year schedule in the League and halfway done. No better preparation than now for Playoff Football! Philly and Seattle were successful, Buffalo was a dud. And here we go with the last two...

Now you have one of the league's best run offenses in Miami coming to town, our arch-nemesis on defense, and the ONLY advantage is that they can't keep their offensive linemen healthy. But neither can we. Then you have a Parcells Boys in Dan Campbell who we all remember. Tough as nails, and looking to eat up perceived soft teams like ours. You CAN'T lose consecutive games in December against Playoff hopefuls, you can't show you are not a physical team, if you want ANY momentum going into the Tourney! This is the repeat story of our team since the 90's Dynasty.

NFC East is within grasp. Cowboys just need to win. Even IF we beat Miami and Detroit, no one here can say with confidence that our team will beat San Francisco. But we know they'll at least probably get to wherever the Niners are in the Tourney bracket. But if the Cowboys fizzle out in December and continue it into the Playoffs, look to some significant rebuilding. There are good pieces in place, but some things will have to change. I don't know what it will be, and I don't know if we have the GM capable of doing it, but the window is here. Third time is the charm.
No, the two biggest games were games the Cowboys lost to the Niners in the playoffs. That may happen again this year - not because McCarthy is a bad coach, or Dak is a bad QB, or the Cowboys are a bad team. It could happen just because the Niners, when healthy, have been the best team in the NFL in 2022 & 2023. The Cowboys may need some luck to get past the Niners in the playoffs, much like the Eagles got a year ago.