Things Change

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the fan base has no control over day to day operations, the draft, FA or the FO. The only things fans can do are stop buying merchandise, stop attending games and stop following the team. If the latter is that easy, I question just what kind of fans you are referring.

That's exactly it. Fans don't have control but they can effect change through actions. You can still be a fan but you don't have to spend money. Money drives the NFL and that can and does effect change.

I mean, what kind of fan accepts 25 years of failure? That's who I see it.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The pats drafted the greatest golden goose of all time and it made there organization look good. They could pretty much add players or just take away players and he fixed it. Watch how they struggle with no tom brady.
Give belicheck a qb this draft and watch what happens.

starfan1

Reaction score
That's exactly it. Fans don't have control but they can effect change through actions. You can still be a fan but you don't have to spend money. Money drives the NFL and that can and does effect change.

a fan is a short for fanatic and what drives each one is different wouldn't you agree? This year was a better year for me as my dodgers came through but it had been awhile for them. Using a baseball analogy how hard must it have been for Cub fans up until 2016. it was over 100 years yet will be hard pressed to find a more passionate fan. (the loveable losers).

if the ultimate goal is a super bowl which for most of us cowboy fans it was a standard we were use to were lacking. The cowboys biggest issue probably was finding success so fast and so consistent. Now they have hit a dry spell one that a Bengal or lion or jet fan can attest to and it sucks.

I remember in the early 90's when we knew it was time for Tex to sell or Clint Murchinson whoever it was but it was time. I think we have once again reached it but Im not sure jerry sees that

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You sure?

Sure that Jerry doesn't think that anymore, if he ever did, or sure that I would bet he doesn't anymore?

Doesn't really matter, there are no sure things, which is why I said I would "bet" he doesn't. But for the record, yes, I am sure that I would definitely bet on that.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Give belicheck a qb this draft and watch what happens.

That is not how it works. That would be cheating. They can trade away their team like everyone else. Everyone talks about how well the organization is run, yet here they are. Who knows how long it will be for the patriots.

My point was that they gave him maybe the best qb of all time. Now he wont have it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There was a time when this organization valued coaching and all of the things that brought, over all else. I have watched this team transform into an organization that values flash over substance and the results have been hard to watch. We are the team that brought the NFL Tom Landry, perhaps the greatest innovator of all time. A truly great coach who literally rewrote how defenses played. And when defenses caught up to us, he figured out how to change the 43 into Flex and rewrote the motion Offense. How did we get to a place where we value, semingly everything else more then actual Coaching and organizational discipline?

We need to get back to what's important. The Pats took what Coach Landry and those Cowboys teams preached and they turned it into the foundation for the most successful team in the League. Ravens value those things as well. I don't know but it seems like we've strayed a fair distance from where we were when this organization was the best the NFL had to offer.

JMO
Well brother, now this once great franchise has been reduced to selling peanuts on the street corner, just adjacent to the stadium on home games.
Jerry going to make his money, even with peanuts.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
That is not how it works. That would be cheating. They can trade away their team like everyone else. Everyone talks about how well the organization is run, yet here they are. Who knows how long it will be for the patriots.

My point was that they gave him maybe the best qb of all time. Now he wont have it.
How long do you think they will be down? Jerry isnt running that team lol. Theyll be back next year easily. Dallas? Who knows

dsturgeon

Reaction score
How long do you think they will be down? Jerry isnt running that team lol. Theyll be back next year easily. Dallas? Who knows

What do you mean by back?

I don't think they will get to a superbowl for a long time. Like I have said if they do not get to the superbowl in the next 10 years, and lets say they have 1 play off loss, do you think they are still a well run organizatin?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
What do you mean by back?

I don't think they will get to a superbowl for a long time. Like I have said if they do not get to the superbowl in the next 10 years, and lets say they have 1 play off loss, do you think they are still a well run organizatin?
I think they will be in the super bowl contention in 2 years

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't agree with you on that.....

"For the past 19 years, Brady has taken the hometown discount with the Patriots, getting paid much less than the league average in order to allow New England to sign talented playmakers, which, as a result, has helped the team succeed so frequently over the past two decades. While doing that has been a very selfless act by the future Hall of Fame QB, it looks like Brady won't be taking the same approach going forward."

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/brady-wont-take-hometown-discount
Don't agree with you on that.....

"For the past 19 years, Brady has taken the hometown discount with the Patriots, getting paid much less than the league average in order to allow New England to sign talented playmakers, which, as a result, has helped the team succeed so frequently over the past two decades. While doing that has been a very selfless act by the future Hall of Fame QB, it looks like Brady won't be taking the same approach going forward."

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/gm-report/brady-wont-take-hometown-discount
In 2006 Brady signed a hefty co tract for the time, and in 2010 Brady became the highest payed player in NFL history at the time. Contract negotiations were tough and drug out. Granted Brady renegotiated to help the team a few years later, and has been team friendly ever since, but it’s wrong to say every contract was well below market value.

garyo1954

Reaction score
In 2006 Brady signed a hefty co tract for the time, and in 2010 Brady became the highest payed player in NFL history at the time. Contract negotiations were tough and drug out. Granted Brady renegotiated to help the team a few years later, and has been team friendly ever since, but it’s wrong to say every contract was well below market value.

Your choice.......

The ESPN story read: “Brady will have a salary cap charge of $8.429 million for 2005, which is between $1.5 million and $2 million less than under his old contract. But his cap number for 2006 jumps to a prohibitive $14.423 million, meaning the contract will have to be revisited probably by converting the option bonus into a signing bonus, which can then be prorated.”

"According to documents obtained by ESPN.com, the contract included a $14.5 million signing bonus and a $12 million option bonus that was due the following spring. The base salaries were $1 million (2005), $4 million (2006), $6 million (2007), $5 million (2008), $2.3 million (2009), and $3.5 million (2010), according to ESPN. There were roster bonuses of $3 million each in the final three years of the contract."

"Patriots officials and Yee worked several months on the contract, ESPN reported. It was reported two months prior that a deal was imminent, but that the contract was reportedly not completed at the time because of issues over structure, distribution, and guarantee of bonuses."

Again, your choice.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-e...signed,million in 2005 and $6 million in 2006.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Your choice.......

The ESPN story read: “Brady will have a salary cap charge of $8.429 million for 2005, which is between $1.5 million and $2 million less than under his old contract. But his cap number for 2006 jumps to a prohibitive $14.423 million, meaning the contract will have to be revisited probably by converting the option bonus into a signing bonus, which can then be prorated.”

"According to documents obtained by ESPN.com, the contract included a $14.5 million signing bonus and a $12 million option bonus that was due the following spring. The base salaries were $1 million (2005), $4 million (2006), $6 million (2007), $5 million (2008), $2.3 million (2009), and $3.5 million (2010), according to ESPN. There were roster bonuses of $3 million each in the final three years of the contract."

"Patriots officials and Yee worked several months on the contract, ESPN reported. It was reported two months prior that a deal was imminent, but that the contract was reportedly not completed at the time because of issues over structure, distribution, and guarantee of bonuses."

Again, your choice.

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2020/01/11/tom-brady-contract-negotiations-patriots#:~:text=As an established superstar in 2005, Brady signed,million in 2005 and $6 million in 2006.
See the attached contract history - well paid by 2005 signing, hifghest paid ever by 2010 signing

https://www.foxbusiness.com/feature...atriots-star-has-earned-during-19-year-career

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
I mean, all of what you say above might be true but allowing that to continue for such a long period of time, that's not on Jerry.

LOL, sorry man but it is entirely on Jerry, every last second of it is on Jerry. The fans support the franchise they love the team but have no power over the personnel and the insane mantra of not valuing coaching. That I'm sorry is entirely on the idiot owner and his idiot spawn. He single handedly created the last 20+ years of misery and there is no end in sight. This culture where players can go over the coach, basically emasculating the coaches authority to where a coach is just basically a figurehead - the only one who single handedly engineered that culture is Jerry Jones.

jnday

Reaction score

I feel the same way. There will be no change unless fans take the first step. As usual , great post. You are the voice of reason on this board.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LOL, sorry man but it is entirely on Jerry, every last second of it is on Jerry. The fans support the franchise they love the team but have no power over the personnel and the insane mantra of not valuing coaching. That I'm sorry is entirely on the idiot owner and his idiot spawn. He single handedly created the last 20+ years of misery and there is no end in sight. This culture where players can go over the coach, basically emasculating the coaches authority to where a coach is just basically a figurehead - the only one who single handedly engineered that culture is Jerry Jones.

Nope. I don't agree. Be sorry all you want but Jerry is in it to make money. So far as I can see, he's better at that then anybody in the NFL, maybe ever. It is the Fan Bases who is more concerned with winning, it would seem and yet, we continue to pay. That's our fault, that's on us.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Are the players not required to wear a jacket and tie on game day travel?