Things I Learned Today . . . (Good & Bad)

Reaction score
-- Terrel Owens is as good as advertised. Glenn isn't that bad either.

-- Unfortunately, Bledsoe is horrid. With the weapons he has, he still looks lost. The line would give him time . . . and he would pat the ball frantically and get happy feet. Then he would just fling the ball somewhere. Those three interceptions weren't the result of good coverage . . . they were horribly thrown balls.

-- Our defense is over-rated. Great? Naw . . . we still can't generate pressure, which has been a staple of Mike Zimmers defenses since he arrived.

-- For all the talk about how good our corners are, they got humiliated today. Newman had a few decent pass deflections, but overall they were bad. Henry was embarrassing.

-- Our front seven was unimpressive. No pressure. I loved how our blitzes consisted of running into the offensive line and not being able to penetrate.

-- Roy again showed he is not as bad in coverage as people claim. Ran stride for stride with that receiver, and made an atheletic interception.

-- I hate kickers. Seriously, cut Suisham and replace him with anyone. Or just go with 52 guys on the roster.

-- Our line wasn't that bad. Flozell played poorly, but he's coming off an injury so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt - for now.

-- Colombo didn't look like near the turnstyle that Pettiti was.

-- How do you call that offensive PI on Witten, but let Reggie Williams grab Henry's helmet and push him to the ground go is beyond me.

-- I'm sick to my stomach. We were just dominated. No, we weren't going to go 16-0 this year, but I have a hard time taking comfort or solace in a loss in which our performance was so underwhelming. The score was close, but we were dominated.

-- The good news is Carolina lost, as did Tampa. Hopefully the Giants will, and I'll root for Minny to upset Washington. Seattle didn't look good either. But again, it is not so much that we lost, but how we lost. We were pitiful.

-- One last thing . . . when it was 3rd and 3, and Leftwhich lined up in the shotgun . . . I knew well before they snapped the ball that it was going to be a QB draw. I wish Zimmer was as smart as me.

canters

Reaction score
Disagree that we were dominated//// They are a good team and they were at home. They have a little better personel than us. We play conservative on offense and when that don't work (too often today), the D get tired.

Strong

Reaction score
Nice comments. I agree. Defensive and offensive game plans way too conservative. Bledsoe blows. Romo will be starting after the next two losses (which better not be the next two games).

Strong.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
To look at it as a glass half full:
-TO will be a major weapon for whoever is throwing him the ball.
-The Oline has some potential but must gel
-The running game looked slightly better than it was the last few games of last year.
-Julius looks better
-Roy showing why he is our best defensive player
-We only allowed two sacks
-Bledsoe didnt fumble at all
-We have scored more points than Tampa, Seattle and Carolina combined!

We lost to a playoff team whereas, Tampa didnt, Seattle edged one by and Carolina lost to a one-dimensional team in Atlanta. Jacksonville is much better than a majority of our opponents except for the Colts and maybe Seattle.

renny

Reaction score
the #1 thing i've noticed is that Dallas doesn't play well when winning.
it seems as though they need some type of adversity for them to play.
they can't seem to play well or put a team away.

Hoov

Reaction score
yeah, back to the comment on blitzing. How is it that when the steelers or the eagles blitz, the qb is under intense pressure before he even can get his foot set to pass.

But we run everyone right into a big firckin pile up, and the qb is sitting 7-10 feet behind that scanning the entire field.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Because they close the playbook and go conservative. They play not to lose instead of playing to win when they have a lead. I would treat every game like they do in college once you are up by 7 TDs then coast until then go like your still trying to score your 1st TD.

Manster54

Reaction score
Nice post. Intelligent & not emotional. I was very frustrated by the game, but I think the positive thing that comes from it is there were no injuries and the mistakes were correctable. Just take out the bonehead penalties and we win. The O Line is not as bad as I thought & the D line is not quite as good as I thought, after just this first game...

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Secondary2None3141 said:
Unfortunately, Bledsoe is horrid. With the weapons he has, he still looks lost. The line would give him time . . . and he would pat the ball frantically and get happy feet. Then he would just fling the ball somewhere. Those three interceptions weren't the result of good coverage . . . they were horribly thrown balls.

He had a bad game, but that's not likely to happen many more times. He's not going to throw three interceptions every game.

-- I'm sick to my stomach. We were just dominated. No, we weren't going to go 16-0 this year, but I have a hard time taking comfort or solace in a loss in which our performance was so underwhelming. The score was close, but we were dominated.

I didn't see any domination from the Jaguars. The difference in the game was the interceptions thrown by Bledsoe that gave the Jaguars the ball in our territory twice and Witten's TD catch being called back. That's a 13- to 21-point swing right there.

Overall, starting the season on the road against a playoff team, we had our chances to win. We made too many mistakes (turnovers and penalties that wiped out big plays), but we had our chances.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
-- For all the talk about how good our corners are, they got humiliated today. Newman had a few decent pass deflections, but overall they were bad. Henry was embarrassing

umm...what did the corner do so bad i thought they played pretty well. they were put in a lot of bad situations where they were in a jump ball w/ a guy 5 inches taller...newman played good deflecting balls except for one play he got turned around on an out and henry was good except when he got pushed on the TD

Haley94

Reaction score
I'll add that Ware played the run real well! Watkins didn't give up any big plays. Another good thing is that we came away with no major injuries. Remember the "pickle juice" game? That was one of the worst opening season losses in recent memory.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
canters said:
Disagree that we were dominated//// They are a good team and they were at home. They have a little better personel than us. We play conservative on offense and when that don't work (too often today), the D get tired.

Yeah, I agree we weren't dominated. They played well and we made a ton of mistakes and it still came down to the final possession technically.

Very frustrating game, though. A lot of negatives to nitpick on.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way we started out was great. From that point on we were clearly out played. Sugar coat any way you want it......Jax put up 24 unanswered points on us.