CFZ Things I'm worried about that need to be fixed for any chance this season!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
All and all, 4-2 and 1 game behind the Eagles isn't bad. That loss to the Cardinals still stings, but the Eagles lost to the Jets and the Commanders lost to the Bears. However, there is a ton to clean up if this team has any chance of playoff success:

-Cannot run the football what so ever, even against light boxes. Keep on seeing free defenders make plays behind the line of scrimmage. The coaches are also using Pollard like Zeke Elliot, more of an in between the tackle runner, I have yet to see one outside run for him. Believe Pollard is already waring down. Scheme has to be fixed and perhaps moving Pollard back to that change up role.

-When you cannot run the football, pass protection becomes even more difficult. Dak in the last 2 weeks with a healthy line has been running for his life. Issues aren't just 1 player, it's across the board. Is it due to lack of continuity, new scheme or is it personnel related?

-Michael Gallup needs to be benched. Still has struggled badly in getting separation and now he is having issues for drops. You can see a player who really lacks confidence. Out of 10 targets he only converted 3 catches, this is real bad.

-Penalties on both side of the football. Enough with these offside and hits to the helmet fouls by the defense, this is what losses you a game! Offensively it's more of the presnap infractions.

-The new scheme is really holding Dak and the offense back. Dak just isn't a system QB, he is at his best when he breaks the pocket. Teams will be sitting on all these underneath routes, they have start taking more shots down the field. Use max protection, get Dak moving outside the pocket to give him a chance. I cannot see MM giving up his playcalling again, so he either goes down with the ship or rights it! Too much offensive talent to being getting these results.

-Can Dan Quinn fix the red zone issue in which a player goes in motion and the defender is always trailing that leads to an easy TD?

-Bland is starting to look like Diggs, but not in a good way, he is taking chances and has had issues with tackling. Just do your job and you don't need to play hero ball.

-Run defense still remains a concern, 2 things that I have noticed is the scheme and Parsons being the biggest culprits. These twists/stunts sometimes opens huge rushing lanes, when team run at Parsons, he never gets outside containment.

-The entire safety group has really struggled throughout the season, especially since Wilson returned from injury. If this defense wants to be successful they need to play better.

-Special teams is now a worry due to injuries, it almost cost the Cowboys a win this week. Long punt return, botched return.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
-Cannot run the football what so ever, even against light boxes. Keep on seeing free defenders make plays behind the line of scrimmage. The coaches are also using Pollard like Zeke Elliot, more of an in between the tackle runner, I have yet to see one outside run for him. Believe Pollard is already waring down. Scheme has to be fixed and perhaps moving Pollard back to that change up role.
the one outside run we had for him was called back for holding, was pretty funny. We really need to get him into space more, hes shifty and fast yet keep wasting him up the gut. Im really hoping MM is saving the big ones for later, but i doubt it. That vikings game last season Pollard killed them but yet we never saw it again
-The new scheme is really holding Dak and the offense back. Dak just isn't a system QB, he is at his best when he breaks the pocket. Teams will be sitting on all these underneath routes, they have start taking more shots down the field. Use max protection, get Dak moving outside the pocket to give him a chance. I cannot see MM giving up his playcalling again, so he either goes down with the ship or rights it! Too much offensive talent to being getting these results.
Been saying for a while now daks been in this league for 8 years, he should know what he good and bad at, i feel like he should be taking the reigns from MM in playcalling or having more input. (maybe he is im not sure, but someone there has to figure something out)
-Can Dan Quinn fix the red zone issue in which a player goes in motion and the defender is always trailing that leads to an easy TD?

-The entire safety group has really struggled throughout the season, especially since Wilson returned from injury. If this defense wants to be successful they need to play better.

-Special teams is now a worry due to injuries, it almost cost the Cowboys a win this week. Long punt return, botched return.
That one motion play the chargers had that Bell made a great stop to make it 4th and one wouldve prob been a TD had herbert not been off. Lot of defenders bumping into each other in confusion, still great play and tackle by Bell, hopefully hell be the difference maker there.

Wilson had some nice plays monday, hopefully hes getting back to form after that injury. Kearse too.

The ST botched return really cant be blamed, that shouldve been a penalty and you cant blame them for trying to get the ball out of that confusion, especially since his head was being ripped off.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
the one outside run we had for him was called back for holding, was pretty funny. We really need to get him into space more, hes shifty and fast yet keep wasting him up the gut. Im really hoping MM is saving the big ones for later, but i doubt it. That vikings game last season Pollard killed them but yet we never saw it again

Been saying for a while now daks been in this league for 8 years, he should know what he good and bad at, i feel like he should be taking the reigns from MM in playcalling or having more input. (maybe he is im not sure, but someone there has to figure something out)

That one motion play the chargers had that Bell made a great stop to make it 4th and one wouldve prob been a TD had herbert not been off. Lot of defenders bumping into each other in confusion, still great play and tackle by Bell, hopefully hell be the difference maker there.

Wilson had some nice plays monday, hopefully hes getting back to form after that injury. Kearse too.

The ST botched return really cant be blamed, that shouldve been a penalty and you cant blame them for trying to get the ball out of that confusion, especially since his head was being ripped off.
That motion play is killing this defense on a weekly basis. It is so easy for the other team to covert.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need to be dissecting the SF tape and figuring out how this team came apart and what needs to be done to prevent it from happening again, bc it’s going to be a problem if the goal is the get to a Super Bowl.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think we should trade for King Henry if he is available. He would help with Dak, Pollard and the passing game. Can you imagine the King in our ball control offense. :omg: Bland is fine he dropped a game ending pick 6. He is by far a best corner since Diggs got hurt. We really miss Diggs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Priority 1 - stop beating yourself with the penalties.

Priority 2 - OL has to perform better. Run game has to improve to give some semblance of balance.

Without those two, there is no consistency or chances for sustained success.
:hammer:

yes ON O

D well better be able to stop mobile qbs and lot of motion type offenses. Be a lot more consistent they are open to big plays a lot of late..2 losses can actually be given credit 55% DEFENSE..they have as many penalty's as the offense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We need to be dissecting the SF tape and figuring out how this team came apart and what needs to be done to prevent it from happening again, bc it’s going to be a problem if the goal is the get to a Super Bowl.
If you watched the Browns last week, they successfully ran the football and blitzed Purdy all day long to make him uncomfortable. Certainly helps when McCaf and Debo go down as their running game really suffered. 49ers are the most physical team in football, saw a stat last week that teams after playing the 49ers were 1-22. Browns even before the game, weren't scared of the 49ers and took it to them inside the trenches, where not many have against that team.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you watched the Browns last week, they successfully ran the football and blitzed Purdy all day long to make him uncomfortable. Certainly helps when McCaf and Debo go down as their running game really suffered. 49ers are the most physical team in football, saw a stat last week that teams after playing the 49ers were 1-22. Browns even before the game, weren't scared of the 49ers and took it to them inside the trenches, where not many have against that team.
Sure but the Browns have built the leagues best defense and #2 isn’t close. Beating them on their home field coming off a bye week in gloomy weather down 2 of their best offensive players is a tall order. In any case, We can’t match their personnel and do what they do on defense. Niners still had a 43 yard FG to win the game.

Elusiv1

Reaction score
Penalties, O-Line, and a more creative running attack for our backs, sick and tired of just running up the middle Fat Mike you moron!!lol. It took Dak to run for his life to finally hit Pollard on a dump off for a 60 yard play. It was refreshing to see that for one play, but can we see it more. Now to the defense, over pursuing when they rush leaving the middle of the field open for any QB to run up the middle for 30 yards, goaline defense is absolute trash..How come everytime we have a 3rd and goal we end up with a busted coverage for a wide open TD!lol It's been that way for years!!lol. .

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think we should trade for King Henry if he is available. He would help with Dak, Pollard and the passing game. Can you imagine the King in our ball control offense. :omg: Bland is fine he dropped a game ending pick 6. He is by far a best corner since Diggs got hurt. We really miss Diggs.
Diggs absence is huge, Bland has played well at times, but should of been beaten multiple times against the Chargers.

As for Henry, I'm all for it if the price is right, player like Foreman from the Bears also would be good. I am worried about Pollard holding up and this new running scheme. When I watch, I see free defenders on almost every run. Enough with all the pulling lineman, make it simple.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sure but the Browns have built the leagues best defense and #2 isn’t close. Beating them on their home field coming off a bye week in gloomy weather down 2 of their best offensive players is a tall order. In any case, We can’t match their personnel and do what they do on defense. Niners still had a 43 yard FG to win the game.
We may not have better personnel, but we can scheme better as a defense. Made zero sense to play zone defense and give Purdy all day to find the open receiver. Heard a stat that their DC was 10-1 against the 49ers HC. Blitzing and playing press coverage is a Schwartz staple.

As for our offense, must be able to run the football some. Cannot expect Dak to consistently have success throwing the football when they have extra men in coverage. 49ers do a great job taking away the middle of the field. They caught MM and the offense off guard when they played press coverage, which they never do, our receivers struggled badly that day.

Lastly, teams have to match the 49ers physicality. The Cowboys got punished in the face and never counter-punched at all.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Diggs absence is huge, Bland has played well at times, but should of been beaten multiple times against the Chargers.

As for Henry, I'm all for it if the price is right, player like Foreman from the Bears also would be good. I am worried about Pollard holding up and this new running scheme. When I watch, I see free defenders on almost every run. Enough with all the pulling lineman, make it simple.
We are gonna make a trade for someone and I think it happens before the team returns to the practice field.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The 2nd round pick is an over pay but I would do it today and Tennessee would make the trade. :thumbup:
Remember trading for Henry is just for a rental this year. No way they can give up a 2nd rd pick for him.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Remember trading for Henry is just for a rental this year. No way they can give up a 2nd rd pick for him.
I wanted 1st pick Jalen Ramsey and 2nd pick Henry in the 2016 draft so I am a little biased. :grin:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We may not have better personnel, but we can scheme better as a defense. Made zero sense to play zone defense and give Purdy all day to find the open receiver. Heard a stat that their DC was 10-1 against the 49ers HC. Blitzing and playing press coverage is a Schwartz staple.

As for our offense, must be able to run the football some. Cannot expect Dak to consistently have success throwing the football when they have extra men in coverage. 49ers do a great job taking away the middle of the field. They caught MM and the offense off guard when they played press coverage, which they never do, our receivers struggled badly that day.

Lastly, teams have to match the 49ers physicality. The Cowboys got punished in the face and never counter-punched at all.
Well I’ll be shocked if Jerry doesn’t go get us a rb before the trade deadline. But in general , this team has had a soft underbelly since parcels left. sure we’ve had some tough players but overall that has not been the defenses identity. We aren’t known around the league for toughness and physicality. I don’t see that changing after a bye week. It’s more a reflection of the coach’s. JG and MM are not motivators or leaders. We lack someone who can ignite this team and light a fire under them.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Well I’ll be shocked if Jerry doesn’t go get us a rb before the trade deadline. But in general , this team has had a soft underbelly since parcels left. sure we’ve had some tough players but overall that has not been the defenses identity. We aren’t known around the league for toughness and physicality. I don’t see that changing after a bye week. It’s more a reflection of the coach’s. JG and MM are not motivators or leaders. We lack someone who can ignite this team and light a fire under them.
Think Quinn has that ability but not MM. It has to be more of an organizational movement to bring in those type of players. Mazi/Tyler fit that mold, but they need to add more.