Things to watch in TC/Preseason

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
1. The linebacker battle.

The team definitely has numbers at LB. I think it will be one of the most hotly contested battles of camp. You can probably pencil in Ware and Nguyen as starters. The other two are up for grabs. You can probably pencil in Nguyen, Ware and Burnett as locks for the roster. Thornton, Shanle and James are more than likely on the squad. The rest are up for grabs. With the emergence of the 3-4, I would guess 6-8 rosters spots will be devoted to LBers.

Some particular players I will be watching:
Bradie James - I thought he played poorly last year. Seemed to miss assignments. He is one of the bigger LBers so his presence in the middle would be nice if he can "get it" this year.

Scott Shanle - Looked pretty good replacing Singleton last year, but it took a Singleton injury before he could crack the starting lineup. Not very big for an ILB (237), however he is probably better suited there than outside. Shanle or James will need to step up for the 3-4 to be successful IMO. I'll be rooting for them.

Goolsby/Cooper/Fowler/O'Neil - The backup types, I suspect one will emerge and make the squad. I am unabashedly rooting for COOPER!

Burnett - I expect him to start opposite Ware eventually. BP has publicly questioned the size at this position. I expect Burnett to add some weight next offseason, but will he be good enough to start this year? I hope so.

Singleton - Other than Dat, the only real vet on the team. Everybody hates him, but he is solid if unspectacular. Does he win a starting job? If not, does BP keep him around for the vet presence and backup ability? I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut, starting or backing someone up.

2. The #2 QB battle
Henson vs. Romo. No doubt Bledsoe is the starter this year. Romo has more recent experience and "moxie". Henson arguably has better skills and a higher upside. Should be a fun one to watch and will make the second half of preseason games interesting. Can't wait for the spin on this one from both sides.

3. How much 3-4 gets played?
Its obvious BP wants to go 3-4, but how much will he play it? Some of the best players are ill suited to a 3-4. Can the rookies transition to it successfully in training camp? Spears, Ware and Burnett were 4-3 guys first and have little experience in the 3-4. Other than Canty, most of the draft picks were guys that can play both. I expect the coaching staff to implement a 3-4 early and if it looks good stick with it although there will still be 4-3 looks. IMO, TC will determine if the team can run it this year and how much of the time.

4. The Right Tackle battle
Who emerges here? Candidates include Ben Noll, Jacob Rogers, Rob Pettitti, Torrin Tucker and Kurt Vollers. It would be nice to see the second rounder step up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tucker emerges the winner again. Whoever wins will benefit from Rivera and Campbell.

5. The Free Safety battle
This is a battle I want to watch with my hand over my eyes. Battle of the uglies. Whoever wins will benefit from a much improved secondary that added Glenn and Henry. I don't really have a clue here, but I would guess Reese or Davis. Heck, it could be someone not even on the roster. Damien Robinson? People tell me Ty Law might take a discount to play with BP again and move to FS.

6. The Returners
Who returns kicks? Who returns punts? I would guess Marion Barber probably is one of the guys on kickoff return. Crayton or Frazier on PR? This will be interesting just to see who BP lines up back there. A-Train was doing it in mini-camp.

7. Who plays where?
There are some guys that I am not sure where they will be playing this year.

Ryan Fowler - Inside is my guess. Anyone know for sure?
Jay Ratliff - Is he a DT or a DE? Does it depend on scheme?
Jermaine Brooks - See above.
Leo Carson - Where does he play in a 3-4?
Roger Cooper - Which LB spot is he playing? Doesn't matter, I still want him on the team.
Mike Goolsby - See Fowler.

8. Fullback
Does craptastic Darian Barnes make the team again? Or is the Repenter booted by Polite? I guess I am cheering for Polite. This is a battle I will watch, but doesn't excite me much.

Thoughts?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
1. The linebacker battle.

The team definitely has numbers at LB. I think it will be one of the most hotly contested battles of camp. You can probably pencil in Ware and Nguyen as starters. The other two are up for grabs. You can probably pencil in Nguyen, Ware and Burnett as locks for the roster. Thornton, Shanle and James are more than likely on the squad. The rest are up for grabs. With the emergence of the 3-4, I would guess 6-8 rosters spots will be devoted to LBers.

Some particular players I will be watching:
Bradie James - I thought he played poorly last year. Seemed to miss assignments. He is one of the bigger LBers so his presence in the middle would be nice if he can "get it" this year.

Scott Shanle - Looked pretty good replacing Singleton last year, but it took a Singleton injury before he could crack the starting lineup. Not very big for an ILB (237), however he is probably better suited there than outside. Shanle or James will need to step up for the 3-4 to be successful IMO. I'll be rooting for them.

Goolsby/Cooper/Fowler/O'Neil - The backup types, I suspect one will emerge and make the squad. I am unabashedly rooting for COOPER!

Burnett - I expect him to start opposite Ware eventually. BP has publicly questioned the size at this position. I expect Burnett to add some weight next offseason, but will he be good enough to start this year? I hope so.

Singleton - Other than Dat, the only real vet on the team. Everybody hates him, but he is solid if unspectacular. Does he win a starting job? If not, does BP keep him around for the vet presence and backup ability? I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut, starting or backing someone up.
The vote that counts most (Parcells) doesn't hate Singleton. I've never heard him say a bad thing about him. Quietly does his job with class. If he's gone it will be because someone of the young lions steps up big (read Burnett).

2. The #2 QB battle
Henson vs. Romo. No doubt Bledsoe is the starter this year. Romo has more recent experience and "moxie". Henson arguably has better skills and a higher upside. Should be a fun one to watch and will make the second half of preseason games interesting. Can't wait for the spin on this one from both sides.
What about the plain truth instead of spin?

:grin:

3. How much 3-4 gets played?
Its obvious BP wants to go 3-4, but how much will he play it? Some of the best players are ill suited to a 3-4. Can the rookies transition to it successfully in training camp? Spears, Ware and Burnett were 4-3 guys first and have little experience in the 3-4. Other than Canty, most of the draft picks were guys that can play both. I expect the coaching staff to implement a 3-4 early and if it looks good stick with it although there will still be 4-3 looks. IMO, TC will determine if the team can run it this year and how much of the time.
This question excites the hell out of me. Not because of the debate possibilities, but because it's new to Dallas. Can we run it? Will we backslide? This story will dominate the Pre season and if we're not good on D the entire season.

4. The Right Tackle battle
Who emerges here? Candidates include Ben Noll, Jacob Rogers, Rob Pettitti, Torrin Tucker and Kurt Vollers. It would be nice to see the second rounder step up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tucker emerges the winner again. Whoever wins will benefit from Rivera and Campbell.
Don't forget Larry Allen might join the fray.

5. The Free Safety battle
This is a battle I want to watch with my hand over my eyes. Battle of the uglies. Whoever wins will benefit from a much improved secondary that added Glenn and Henry. I don't really have a clue here, but I would guess Reese or Davis. Heck, it could be someone not even on the roster. Damien Robinson? People tell me Ty Law might take a discount to play with BP again and move to FS.
Don't put money on that last one. I heard some rumblings of a name not on the list yet. We shall see.

No, it is not Brandon Everage.

6. The Returners
Who returns kicks? Who returns punts? I would guess Marion Barber probably is one of the guys on kickoff return. Crayton or Frazier on PR? This will be interesting just to see who BP lines up back there. A-Train was doing it in mini-camp.
Tyson Thompson in the mix too. For the 1st time since we drafted him I don't want Newman back there.

7. Who plays where?
There are some guys that I am not sure where they will be playing this year.

Ryan Fowler - Inside is my guess. Anyone know for sure?
Jay Ratliff - Is he a DT or a DE? Does it depend on scheme?
Jermaine Brooks - See above.
Leo Carson - Where does he play in a 3-4?
Roger Cooper - Which LB spot is he playing? Doesn't matter, I still want him on the team.
Mike Goolsby - See Fowler.
Goolsby is definitely ILB.

8. Fullback
Does craptastic Darian Barnes make the team again? Or is the Repenter booted by Polite? I guess I am cheering for Polite. This is a battle I will watch, but doesn't excite me much.

Thoughts?
This battle excites me a lot. Polite's biggest fan over here.

Nice post, thanks.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Don't put money on that last one. I heard soem rumblings of a name not on the list yet. We shall see.

No, it is not Brandon Everage.

Please share. Even if it doesn't pan out, it won't be as far out in left field as some of these rumors we hear.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
Please share. Even if it doesn't pan out, it won't be as far out in left field as some of these rumors we hear.
Trying to get more info first. I hate throwing things against the wall. If anything comes of it I will post it.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Trying to get more info first. I hate throwing things against the wall. If anything comes of it I will post it.

What a tease! :p:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Brock Marion possibly. Heard it from a Dallas resident who has a good track record.

That was too easy. Fish on!!! :) lol

Brock is ok with me. I suspect he has another year in him.

Anyone watch Detroit play last year and can give us some skinny?

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
jobberone said:
That was too easy. Fish on!!! :) lol

Brock is ok with me. I suspect he has another year in him.

Anyone watch Detroit play last year and can give us some skinny?

Why doesnt someone go behind enemy lines and ask some Lions fans on their Message Boards to see what they think?

1...2...3...Not It!

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
1. This might be most interesting to me after safety. In that thread I made last night that went over like a lead balloon, I was saying that I hadn't realized until I re-watched the Giants game that James was playing on the inside next to Dat, with Shanle on the outside. Ware changes that some and will move Shanle back to the inside, but if Shanle slips, James HAS to come through. Who else will play inside? Fowler is the only guy I can think of, and while I think he might be a player, he was still an undrafted FA. Not who you want to depend on.

I also want to see the ROLB spot. How long will Thornton hold off Burnett?

And like you, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Singleton gone.

2. I think it'll be Henson. I heard an interview with the TCU QB on the radio today and he said Henson was one of the guys he already admired a lot, because some TCU guys on the team said he was an absolute workaholic.

3. I think a lot will get played, more than most people here think. Not that it should be played, but that it will be played.

4. I doubt even Parcells knows who will win the RT job at this point. I think it will be decided by who plays best the next couple of months. But Tucker better get his ducks in a row to stay on the team. Vollers is reliable and Petitti has more potential... And Rogers isn't done yet.

5. I'm with you. I just hope someone plays well enough to win and it's not someone winning by default, like RCB last year.

6. Like you said, Barber and then who knows on punts.

7. Ratliff and Brooks DE, though I don't think Brooks lasts long. Carson at NT... Or at least, that's where he was last year a couple of times. Actually I hope Carson is gone.

8. Go Polite. ABB.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
This team has a boatload of DEs.

Ellis
Canty
Spears
Coleman
Brooks
Ratliff
Thorton (at times)
Ware (at times)
Ogbogu (at times)

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Do not agree with # 2. Why do you believe Henson has greater upside? I feel the exact opposite. I think Romo is better now and will always be. I pretty miuch agree with the rest of your post.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
CactusCowboy said:
Do not agree with # 2. Why do you believe Henson has greater upside? I feel the exact opposite. I think Romo is better now and will always be. I pretty miuch agree with the rest of your post.

Like I said, there are two camps on this. We will see. I hope both perform well.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
One of the things I'll really be looking at are the corners. I think cornerback is one of the few positions you can really get a feel for a guy, as a 'layman' (lol) onlooker, than a lot of other positions.

This team needs Henry to be live up to what he's billed as, and for Newman to re-emerge after a pedestrian sophomore season. I expect Glenn to be perhaps the most consistent of the group -- he's the veteran, and to me, hasn't declined too significantly to where he can't still play at a semi-high level. This group looks like a strength, and they need to show it in my opinion.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Dale said:
One of the things I'll really be looking at are the corners. I think cornerback is one of the few positions you can really get a feel for a guy, as a 'layman' (lol) onlooker, than a lot of other positions.

This team needs Henry to be live up to what he's billed as, and for Newman to re-emerge after a pedestrian sophomore season. I expect Glenn to be perhaps the most consistent of the group -- he's the veteran, and to me, hasn't declined too significantly to where he can't still play at a semi-high level. This group looks like a strength, and they need to show it in my opinion.
Glenn as our Nickel back is a very nice feeling. That's quite a luxury to have someone with that resume' at the position.

Reaction score
Interesting takes...

I like in a suprise Fowler to be impressive inside, perhaps mid season when dat is worn down or injured...
I have no doubt dat won't last long in a 3-4...

Polite could be very average and still be ALOT better then "Never met a player to block" Barnes...

The biggest question to me is, who teaches the 3-4...How much time will Parcells take teaching "his" defense...We all know its "greek" to the has-been DC...

Tucker is still the guy to beat at RT...Noll doesn't have the feet...
Can Rogers make a play? Does he have the strength after off season shoulder surgery?
Petitte is a year away IMHO...

FS is huge, it NEEDS to be a guy with instincts...
I hope your wrong about Marion hos, I thought he played like "maide" Marion when he was here a decade or so back...
My money is on Killer...With Reese some time in the nickle/dime...No more room on a good team for Scott...