This could actually be a good wake up for the cowboys

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The team had enough talent to go to the Super Bowl, bad as the defense would have been anyways. The entire NFC is bad, and Dallas' offense meant they could beat anyone.

Tampa, GB, and LAR are the only complete teams in the entire conference - and even then, they all have one major flaw or another.
I like your enthusiasm, but no offense can make up for what we have seen of this defense.
Jerry let our best CB, best DT, leading pass rusher with double digit sacks, and a starting S who led the team the last 2-3 years in turnovers all walk, and how did he replace them?
A rookie 2nd round CB who isn’t known for speed replaced our Pro Bowl CB.
A rookie draft pick replaced Malik Collins at DT, along with a vet on the decline who never made it out of camp.
Robert Quinn was replaced by an aging Everson Griffin at the last minute, and Aldon Smith was a shot in the dark who isn’t really playing DE.
Jeff Heath has been replaced by two safeties who were his backups and couldn’t get on the field last year.

This defense lacks talent up front and on the back end.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I would love to see Tryon be healthy and get another 5 years out of him. But Tyron hasn’t been healthy in several years. At a minimum—we need a very good swing tackle—-who can adequately perform at a starter level.
My only hope with Tyron is they finally felt his back was no issue this year. He suffered an unrelated neck injury that he should recover fully from. Until this season, his only issue had been the back flare ups. I’m hoping he will feel like a new man next year after giving his body the rest and working on the issues. It’s not like his body had been breaking down in various ways.

basel90

Reaction score
I would call it: Wake up call to Acknowledgment of Lost Opportunities.
A six-season window that started in 2014 as a burgeoning playoff run;
but it got stunted or sidetracked every year.
2014 & 2016 - solid teams that couldn't overcome a longtime playoff rival (both times involving controversial officiating calls\non- calls) who were led by the coach who now is in charge of the Cowboys
2015 - starting QB getting knocked out for the season, and the replacements could not direct the offense to success
2017 - playoff appearance derailed by the offense missing its best two players for a number of games due to injury and suspension
2018 - a playoff run that started well in the first game, but ended in the next round with a stumbling attempt by the offense paired with an inept effort on defense
2019 - a Jekyll and Hyde campaign, with the team putting in smooth, strong
performances against weaker opponents, but mostly coming. up short against equal competition...which resulted in the HC for over a decade to be dismissed.
And then - on to 2020 - bringing on a new coaching staff. But some off-season moves that are questionable....not making an effort to keep the best CB (drafted)
and not enticing the FA DE with double-digit\the most sacks to stay.
And most puzzling to me...even with the disrupted off-season and pre-season...
what happened to this team that opened this season with a not embarrassing loss on the road...to then put in wretched 1st half performances in the following three games?
Finally - the subsequent injuries - and the Cowboys are 2- 5
Very true . So many missed opportunities, and bad strategy.

basel90

Reaction score
ur right with every thing u said friend but i already know jerry and stephen will use a new staff and injuries as a excuse to run it back next season. they are 100% sure they builded a super bowl contender even though the whole core is rotten. there is some thing very wrong with the players on this team and having the worst coaching staff in the nfl does not help. this is what the jones built but they think they are the chiefs or some thing that just got unlucky with injuries.
Sad , but probably true .

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Let us face it. Even without injuries and all , this team just did not have the talent to go anywhere this year or next year. We have seen mediocrity at its best , even with Dak , Zeke. OL and WR talent. There are big big defensive voids, overpaid talent, and an aging OL.
This shock of events, injuries, and losses are a good wake up call to examine the way players are evaluated, and a team is being build and managed. I hope jerry and stephen do the right thing with immediate effect:

Behold, the flies in the ointment.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
- Trade for defensive help immedietlhy by trading some WR and other well fortified assets.

There's no fire to *bring in* anyone. We should be playing for next year now. Develop and evaluate players. Bring in players we like as projects for next year if they come at a good price. But don't spend a dime with the goal to improve this year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let us face it. Even without injuries and all , this team just did not have the talent to go anywhere this year or next year. We have seen mediocrity at its best , even with Dak , Zeke. OL and WR talent. There are big big defensive voids, overpaid talent, and an aging OL.
This shock of events, injuries, and losses are a good wake up call to examine the way players are evaluated, and a team is being build and managed. I hope jerry and stephen do the right thing with immediate effect:

- Trade for defensive help immedietlhy by trading some WR and other well fortified assets. The DE Griffin trade idea is a good start, and hope to see a WR, Zeke ( even if the cowboys eat half his bloated deal ) and some other assets are being shipped or a DT /LB/CB/S/OL help.

- Dak : Either have him sign a freindly deal , or trade him or let him walk and build via top draft pick on a rookie affordable contract ( saving 25-30 mil a year).

- Asess the way players are being evaluated at the draft and beyond. There is a talent gap across this team .

We need another Jimmy they only hire yes men and are involved in every aspect of the team.
Another 26 years of hunger is a viable possibility!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I like your enthusiasm, but no offense can make up for what we have seen of this defense.
This one can, especially if the defense is healthy and there are no more good offenses on the schedule.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We are speaking in terms of trading. We can afford trading one WR. Who on our O-line are we trading off to improve another area without further weakening that line?
Here’s something no one is talking about. They have ZERO IDEA if La’el is going to be able to play next season. They need to take Sewell or Leatherwood if available or the O-line will struggle again. You can’t take an OG and make them an OT. Tyron has 1 year left at most. He can’t stay healthy. The 1st pick needs to be OT then D the rest of the way.

Beaker42

Reaction score
This one can, especially if the defense is healthy and there are no more good offenses on the schedule.
Are you really talking about this team winning games this season? This offense couldn’t score if you threw 11 Girl Scouts out there against them.

Cowfan75

Reaction score

The defense is healthy, for the most part, and terrible. Even the most rose-colored glasses can see that. The only prayer of seeing if this legendarily bad defense is capable of anything is if they fire Nolan, which they won't do.

basel90

Reaction score
There's no fire to *bring in* anyone. We should be playing for next year now. Develop and evaluate players. Bring in players we like as projects for next year if they come at a good price. But don't spend a dime with the goal to improve this year.
Agree.

basel90

Reaction score
We need another Jimmy they only hire yes men and are involved in every aspect of the team.
Another 26 years of hunger is a viable possibility!
Indeed , Such coaches with the current soft culture are hard to find or allow to succeed by meddlesome owners . Beliceck is an exception and a few others where owners stay out and allow the coach to develop the team .

lostar2009

Reaction score
Buddha Baker and Juan Thornhill say “Hi”.

Was looking at that. Budda was a second round pick. I believe we drafted Chido ahead of him. I really want to know how the Cowboys evaluate safeties. They don't spend a high draft pick on one. No one in FA is good enough for them. But they keep these bums on our roster... They "like" those guys.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
It could be.....McCarthy was bought here to change culture and put his foot in peoples behinds and demand players do their job....

sometimes its ugly like it is now but it works out in the end

hopefully
If that was even remotely true then Poe & #54 would've been benched after 2-3 games tops. The truth is the truth and I stopped buying Hopium from Jerry over 10 years ago.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

- Trade for defensive help immedietlhy by trading some WR and other well fortified assets. The DE Griffin trade idea is a good start, and hope to see a WR, Zeke ( even if the cowboys eat half his bloated deal ) and some other assets are being shipped or a DT /LB/CB/S/OL help.

- Dak : Either have him sign a freindly deal , or trade him or let him walk and build via top draft pick on a rookie affordable contract ( saving 25-30 mil a year).

- Asess the way players are being evaluated at the draft and beyond. There is a talent gap across this team .

Aging OL? lol.

SSoup

Reaction score
At the end of the day, I think the front office is going to use the bad luck with injuries and the pandemic to explain away the season. There won't be a wake-up call leading to any immediate drastic changes, I don't think.

Now, I'll say this. I think it's possible McCarthy is craven enough to throw Nolan under the bus purely to give himself a chance to survive longer.

This is a guy who admits to lying in his job interview. And who we all know was just pretending to embrace all the trendy buzzwords to get himself painted as an old dog learning new tricks, who would return to the NFL with a fresh and innovative mind instead of being the stale hack he was by the end of his tenure in GB.

Maybe he hears the Joneses' statements supporting him and he buys it and feels safe and doesn't care to make big changes to the defensive staff. Or maybe he puts two and two together and knows that the fact they're having to comment on it means the branch is creaking under him. Is he more likely to go the Wade Phillips route (like what happened with Wade when he was head coach of Buffalo) where he gets himself fired for his refusal to fire a coach whose presence is costing the team and becoming a deal-breaker, purely out of loyalty? Or does he pull the move most craven hacks pull where they throw someone under the bus to scapegoat them and buy a little more time for themselves (like when Jim Fassel was running the Giants and scapegoated Sean Payton to save his own skin)?