This draft can turn out like the 2011 class!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I don’t remember anyone ever considering Smith as a 2nd round prospect. How early in the process are we talking...high school?

It was around the time right after the off-season college all-star games-Senior, Shrine. Donald also was also being touted as a 2nd rd prospect until he blew up at the senior bowl.

waving monkey

Reaction score
D5-A0-FE5-F-7872-45-A6-9601-A5-E76-A212-AB6.jpg

I count seven future HOFers in that first round and maybe 1-2 fringe HOFers.
this is amazing

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I remember all the hate, that and we cannot take a RT in the top 10. Many wanted the Cowboys to trade up for Patrick Peterson and several wanted no part of former walk-on JJ Watt. Looking back, that was a tremendous class!!
Probably the greatest defensive class ever.

OT class was better than expected with Smith, Solder amd Canstanzo having great to solid careers

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Difference is Smith didn't emerge out of nowhere. He was an elite athlete at the position that just needed to continue to develop.

There isn't anything close to a 1st round DT this year unless you project Rousseau to 3T.
Only reason Smith didnt play LT in college was Matt Kalil

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Difference is Smith didn't emerge out of nowhere. He was an elite athlete at the position that just needed to continue to develop.

There isn't anything close to a 1st round DT this year unless you project Rousseau to 3T.
Could be a decent year for day 2 guys though

cnuball21

Reaction score
Could be a decent year for day 2 guys though

I remember that, as Kalil was a stud prospect in his own right, but Smith was very highly touted. He had incredibly upside and athletcism the knock was just he was raw. I don't remember him not being considering a 1st rounder at any time.

Beaker42

Reaction score
I remember in the 2011 class, the Cowboys held the #9 pick, where they desperately needed a Tackle prospect. At the time Marc Columbo just retired and Adams left the year prior. This left them with pretty much Doug Free. They needed a Tackle in the worst of ways. Early in the process, many were disappointed that their wasn't any blue chip tackle available.

As the offseason process progressed, a 20 year old, light Right Tackle emerged out of USC named Tyron Smith. Many wanted no part of taking a RT within the top 10, nor thought he was big enough to play in this league. The actual NFL Scouts were way ahead of their media counterparts.

My point is, even if there isn't a blue chipper DT right now, doesn't mean one won't emerge during the process.
What??? He was the surest OT prospect coming out in years - once he got his hands on you you were done. Only the refs limited his blocking ability. Seriously, I’ve never seen a guy flagged so many times for holding on PANCAKE BLOCKS.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Tyron was a 20 year old 280lb tackle with obviously freaky tools, it was just a question of whether he'd grow into his frame. I don't see any DTs this year who are running around with Tyron-caliber strength and athleticism to grow into.

Rousseau fits the bill as a 6'7" 260 lb 20 year old, but length like that will probably put him at end.

kskboys

Reaction score
What??? He was the surest OT prospect coming out in years - once he got his hands on you you were done. Only the refs limited his blocking ability. Seriously, I’ve never seen a guy flagged so many times for holding on PANCAKE BLOCKS.
He really wasn't. Somewhat of a project.