CFZ This is definitely a season to “go for it”

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the departure of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady from the NFC, it has been mentioned many times on this forum lately how “wide open” the NFC is for the taking going into the 2023 season. I totally agree.

NOW - this season- is the time to push all the chips you can responsibly push to go for it; to do everything feasible to put together a roster that can be more than just “relevant”. NOW Is the time for this front office to take some risks to make this team BETTER. Now is NOT the time to be risk averse. If Jerry has anything left in the tank to once again be that “wildcatter” he used to claim to be, NOW is the time to go for it.

I don’t know about anyone else, but after the last 28 seasons of not even winning a divisional playoff game, what have we got to lose by “going for it” this year? If we strike out at least we swung for the fences.

To me, listening to Stephen Jones explain why the salary cap limitations prevent us from doing things is like watching a hitter in baseball take a called third strike with two out with men on base. At least go down swinging! What are we afraid of? The 29th straight year of what we’ve been doing?

So with the draft ahead and the last parts of free agency afterward, these are some moves I want to see- needs that if addressed will obviously make us better immediately:
  • Offensive Playmakers- WR, RB and TE. Right now our playmakers are Tony Pollard, Cedee Lamb and Brandin Cooks. Getting Cooks was a big improvement, but we need another RB, another WR and a playmaking TE. I like Ferguson but he’s not enough IMO. I believe we will get some help there in the draft.
  • Run stuffers- IDL and LB- as much as our defense has improved the last two years, we are STILL vulnerable against the run. If we are serious about a deep playoff run, we MUST upgrade these two positions. I’m glad we resigned Hankins, but folks, he’s not enough. I love the Gilmore trade, but that won’t help our run defense. We need a road grader that can help immediately. We need a LB that can be a beast against the run. LVE is adequate but he’s not enough, not to mention he’s an injury risk.
  • OL Help- Tyler Smith was a great addition last year, but we are still very vulnerable here. I love Tyron Smith- he has truly been greatness for a long time. But folks we cannot count on this guy. He’s missed 32 games the last 3 seasons! Terance Steele will not be back until maybe October. Our OL needs some upgrading and depth. The Chuma Edoga signing is a good one year stop gap. We need more help here.
I commend the start to this off-season by our FO. The trades for Cooks and Gilmore look great. I like that they have been more assertive this off-season. But there is a ton of work left to be done. It’s time to go for it! If we fail after pushing all the chips forward, I would at least feel like we took a swing instead of just taking a called third strike.

Jimmy Johnson used to say “you make your own luck“ most of the time. Let‘s go for it NOW!

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I hear SJ talking about “being careful” with spending and moves, I keep thinking, why? What are we afraid of? Having a 29th straight season of the same? I would rather fail “going for it” than just be “relevant” in the way of just making the playoffs only to exit early.

rambo2

Reaction score
With the departure of Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady from the NFC, it has been mentioned many times on this forum lately how “wide open” the NFC is for the taking going into the 2023 season. I totally agree.

NOW - this season- is the time to push all the chips you can responsibly push to go for it; to do everything feasible to put together a roster that can be more than just “relevant”. NOW Is the time for this front office to take some risks to make this team BETTER. Now is NOT the time to be risk averse. If Jerry has anything left in the tank to once again be that “wildcatter” he used to claim to be, NOW is the time to go for it.

I don’t know about anyone else, but after the last 28 seasons of not even winning a divisional playoff game, what have we got to lose by “going for it” this year? If we strike out at least we swung for the fences.

To me, listening to Stephen Jones explain why the salary cap limitations prevent us from doing things is like watching a hitter in baseball take a called third strike with two out with men on base. At least go down swinging! What are we afraid of? The 29th straight year of what we’ve been doing?

So with the draft ahead and the last parts of free agency afterward, these are some moves I want to see- needs that if addressed will obviously make us better immediately:
  • Offensive Playmakers- WR, RB and TE. Right now our playmakers are Tony Pollard, Cedee Lamb and Brandin Cooks. Getting Cooks was a big improvement, but we need another RB, another WR and a playmaking TE. I like Ferguson but he’s not enough IMO. I believe we will get some help there in the draft.
  • Run stuffers- IDL and LB- as much as our defense has improved the last two years, we are STILL vulnerable against the run. If we are serious about a deep playoff run, we MUST upgrade these two positions. I’m glad we resigned Hankins, but folks, he’s not enough. I love the Gilmore trade, but that won’t help our run defense. We need a road grader that can help immediately. We need a LB that can be a beast against the run. LVE is adequate but he’s not enough, not to mention he’s an injury risk.
  • OL Help- Tyler Smith was a great addition last year, but we are still very vulnerable here. I love Tyron Smith- he has truly been greatness for a long time. But folks we cannot count on this guy. He’s missed 32 games the last 3 seasons! Terance Steele will not be back until maybe October. Our OL needs some upgrading and depth. The Chuma Edoga signing is a good one year stop gap. We need more help here.
I commend the start to this off-season by our FO. The trades for Cooks and Gilmore look great. I like that they have been more assertive this off-season. But there is a ton of work left to be done. It’s time to go for it! If we fail after pushing all the chips forward, I would at least feel like we took a swing instead of just taking a called third strike.

Jimmy Johnson used to say “you make your own luck“ most of the time. Let‘s go for it NOW!
It looks like you have too much stuff on your list. They certainly can get some of it, but not everything that you listed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It looks like you have too much stuff on your list. They certainly can get some of it, but not everything that you listed.
Ok, but surely you aren’t saying we’ve done enough.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the Joneses feel they go for it every year. I can’t argue with most or all of your advice in what they should do but Jerry and Stephen would tell you “this is going for it”. My preference would be for them to obsess over having the best trenches. I’d be optimistic and confident any year where our lines look like elite lines especially down the middle on both sides of the ball.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

It was wide open last year too Buccs and Packers sucked.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I hear SJ talking about “being careful” with spending and moves, I keep thinking, why? What are we afraid of? Having a 29th straight season of the same? I would rather fail “going for it” than just be “relevant” in the way of just making the playoffs only to exit early.
When he talks, everything he says seems to come from a bottom line perspective. He’s happy to watch the money roll in and is afraid of doing anything that might upset the Apple cart and change that.

He’s rather be mediocre but relevant for decades than to try and fail and have a few rebuilding years of potential irrelevance.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I agree.

In the draft Dallas needs to get OL and DL first. Then go after TE and RB after that.

I don't think Dallas can get a WR that would move the needle where they're picking in the draft. Dallas would have to trade up for this and I don't think they should waste draft capital on a position that is not the biggest need for helping this team this year.

If Dallas were to go all in on this year they should wait Arizona out. Wait for the price to drop and then make a trade for Hopkins that would definitely move the needle. This is a better use of draft capital.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
2021 was that all or nothing year for me. They blew it miserably. Last year was just as good as this next season, simply because there were no great teams left in the NFC. So what is different this upcoming season?

People are applauding the FO for this off season so far, when all they have done is the bare minimum an FO should do.

Things won't change around here. We're in for yet another woohoo regular season and an embarrassing kick into our crown jewels in January.

Unless they do something of the stuff you have suggested. But, why would they? Staying "relevant" in the media is all they want. There is still alot of time this off season, so who knows. Let's not judge them yet.

But you know what we said in April last year? "There is still alot of time this off season, so who knows."

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Depends what you mean by “ failing going for it”?

Does that mean just coming up short again in the playoffs or where we are basically Cap strapped for a few years to come and hitting rock bottom having to start all over again .

Because I can promise you that this ownership is NOT interested in placing all of their eggs in one basket risking hitting rock bottom and starting over .

That takes too much work and effort while trying to stifle all of the public scrutiny. It’s easier staying relevant and hyping hope with a fairly competitive product. More of a calmness to oversee than the uncertainty of rebuilding.

This is a good place for Jethro and Son regardless how much we might disapprove .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But I’d agree with your concept Bob. I just don’t think our ownership would .

They obviously are a little more active this off season but don’t expect any big moves that would put them in Cap hell for a greater opportunity for one big bang this year.

TonyRomoFan2

Reaction score
A great way to truly go for it is to do your best with this draft. Then before the trade deadline during next season there will undoubtedly be some elite player like a Christian McCaffrey and if things are going well and you’re looking at a potential #1 seed you pull the trigger and trade premium picks for that player. That is what I would like to see us do.

However, I remember them doing that with WR Roy Williams and it didn’t work out. But maybe you have to give it another shot.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we're gonna have a sleeper in our own division. It's either gonna be Washington with a quarterback or it's gonna be the giants with their good head coach. one of the 2 If not both.
This season is going to be tougher than we think. I might be wrong, I hope so.
However looking at our entire schedule right now. I have us at 9-8 or 10-7 and that's if we get above average results from MM and Dak.