This is not the Marinelli 4-3 DEF

Vanilla2

Reaction score
Didn’t Jerry point to Seattle’s defense when defending the Kiffin/marinelli hires? I think what we’re gonna see is Quinn’s evolution of that. Whatever it is I hope they allow less 7’s and create more turnovers.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
The media (see Jane Slater question at Dan Quinn's press conference ) seem to be implying that Quinn's DEF will be similar to our DEF 2013-2019. People such as Demarcus Ware have mentioned a return to the 4-3 we have run in the past. I might be wrong but I think this is a misunderstanding. I think Dan Quinn knows that type of DEF won't work consistently enough in todays NFL and I fully expect a great deal of variety. I understand the similarity with the gapping, but nearly every player we have signed or drafted has experience in a 3-4 system.

I expect us to be 3-4 on early downs 4-2-5 about 60% of the time and a combination of other fronts when needed.

Thoughts guys?

Until we deploy the 1-1-9, we wont be striking fear and optimizing talent.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I don't really think Rod was terrible...

I think Rod was just stubborn and often felt the basics of the 80s and 90s could work
today. Technically the old style defenses could work today, but you need a plethora of
pro bowlers to make it work, that don't make mistakes knowing their job.
I actually think Rod kind of spite himself often.

These aren't the same types of offenses from the past. These definitely aren't the types of
players from the past either. They don't really love the game as much as they love the fame.
So youre telling me he was bad at being a dc right now got it.

links18

Reaction score
Hopefully, it's not whatever that nonsense we trotted out there last year under Nolan was either.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The coverage schemes will resemble the cover-3 Marinelli ran his last seaosn, but the defensive front seven alignment will look more like Nolan's.

pgreptom

Reaction score
The media (see Jane Slater question at Dan Quinn's press conference ) seem to be implying that Quinn's DEF will be similar to our DEF 2013-2019. People such as Demarcus Ware have mentioned a return to the 4-3 we have run in the past. I might be wrong but I think this is a misunderstanding. I think Dan Quinn knows that type of DEF won't work consistently enough in todays NFL and I fully expect a great deal of variety. I understand the similarity with the gapping, but nearly every player we have signed or drafted has experience in a 3-4 system.

I expect us to be 3-4 on early downs 4-2-5 about 60% of the time and a combination of other fronts when needed.

Thoughts guys?

Quinn likes to run a 4-3 under which really isn't that different from a 3-4. You need 3-4 components to run the 4-3 under mixed with some 4-3 stuff. You need a pure NT who can 2 gap which you'd find in a 3-4. You need a penetrating 3T you would normally find in a 4-3. The "twitch" DT/DE (really DE's) are the biggest difference (think Basham, Crawford).

4_3_Under_medium.jpg

I'm guessing you'll see the 4-3 under or some variety 3-4 front on any obvious running play. The beauty of the 4-3 under is the flexibility ... I think we'll finally see some creative fronts with Quinn.