This is the NFL

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
For all of the homers out the, me being one also. I remember as a kid watching "This is the NFL". It was on channel 11 (pre-cable) out of NY. I can't recall who the voice of that show was, but it's stuck in my mind, especially one phrase from when I was like 10.

It was some obscure game that was pretty evenly played into the 3rd quarter, by the way, this show was great...10 minute highlights of each game and very little anchor talk...Which bores me.

Anyhow, back to the game. The phrase that got me was "Then Doomsday took over". In this perfect voice. Sacks, INT's and just a plain stomping...

Now I know this isn't Tom's flex defense nor do we have the stars with "true grit" like we did in 1970-71...But that is what made me the fan I am today.

That is what I want to happen, like all of you folks out there...Theebs, Slate and the such.

I want to hear that from the pundits on Sunday after our Saturday night game.

To be honest with you all, folks like Thumper can probably relate. Today's football sucks compared to those days of real football. Some may say the game is much better, super highlights high scoring drivel. There was a reason back in the day they said defense wins championships and commercials and announcers didn't rule the game.

But, having said that, I want to see our defense take over this game. Pound them into submission and see a real old fashioned game tomorrow night.

Rant over.

Jarv

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jarv;3153781 said:
For all of the homers out the, me being one also. I remember as a kid watching "This is the NFL". It was on channel 11 (pre-cable) out of NY. I can't recall who the voice of that show was, but it's stuck in my mind, especially one phrase from when I was like 10.

It was some obscure game that was pretty evenly played into the 3rd quarter, by the way, this show was great...10 minute highlights of each game and very little anchor talk...Which bores me.

Anyhow, back to the game. The phrase that got me was "Then Doomsday took over". In this perfect voice. Sacks, INT's and just a plain stomping...

Now I know this isn't Tom's flex defense nor do we have the stars with "true grit" like we did in 1970-71...But that is what made me the fan I am today.

That is what I want to happen, like all of you folks out there...Theebs, Slate and the such.

I want to hear that from the pundits on Sunday after our Saturday night game.

To be honest with you all, folks like Thumper can probably relate. Today's football sucks compared to those days of real football. Some may say the game is much better, super highlights high scoring drivel. There was a reason back in the day they said defense wins championships and commercials and announcers didn't rule the game.

But, having said that, I want to see our defense take over this game. Pound them into submission and see a real old fashioned game tomorrow night.

Rant over.

Jarv
:clap2:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
My Uncle hates watching football. Says the defense is atrocious no matter who is playing.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I hear you, Jarv... Just watch an old Superbowl on Youtube and it's so cool how much simpler it is. Pure football and few ads.

Heck, even the Emmitt separated shoulder game was that way. Love watching that replay on NFLN.

Not sure this is the best week to be hoping our D dominates, though. :eek::

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
My heart says, "hell yes we are going to crush them".

My head says, "we are going to get freaking smoked"

Im torn.:D

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3153820 said:
I hear you, Jarv... Just watch an old Superbowl on Youtube and it's so cool how much simpler it is. Pure football and few ads.

Heck, even the Emmitt separated shoulder game was that way. Love watching that replay on NFLN.

Not sure this is the best week to be hoping our D dominates, though. :eek::

I hear ya Lab, I was just thinking about what made me love this team. It sure has changed...

batman36

Reaction score
Just this once, wouldn't it be fun to see the defense play out of its mind? But to paraphrase Diamond Rio, we'd want it again next week...and the week after that...and...we'll, you know.

One More Day is the song I'm referring to for those wondering.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Doomsday, this defense won us the game !

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Sorry folks, had to bump this because our new Doomsday defense pitched the first of two shutouts for the end of the year, next one is against Philly next week !

:bow: