This is why I think the Cowboys will move up in the 1st round

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is just a hunch but what the heck we have almost 4 months to kill before the draft. With the draft being held in Dallas for the first and maybe only time, you just know Jerry will be dying to make a splash and be the center of attention. I think it will drive Jerry crazy to just sit back and take the BPA with the #19th pick. Imagine the media buzz as well as Cowboys fans attending the draft if the commish walks to the podium and says "The Oakland Raiders have traded the 9th pick in the draft to the Dallas Cowboys for.....?"

Now I am in no way advocating for this unless they fall in love with a guy who is still there at pick ? who they think can be a difference maker/blue chip talent. I think this team has some major holes to fill and giving away present/future premium picks does not seem to fit the mold since McClay has had a major role in running the show. But with that said, although Jerry has been for the most part being involved less and less he is still a showman who is 75 years old and knows the draft in all probability will never be held again in Dallas in his lifetime.
As long as everyone understands the actual cost of such a move to get to 9
  1. you do understand that going from up to 9 could take as much as this years 19th pick PLUS next year's 1st rounder?
or maybe
  1. this year's 1st, 2nd, and 4th (and maybe 5th too) ?

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
As long as everyone understands the actual cost of such a move to get to 9
  1. you do understand that going from up to 9 could take as much as this years 19th pick PLUS next year's 1st rounder?
or maybe
  1. this year's 1st, 2nd, and 4th (and maybe 5th too) ?

I was just using the 9th pick as an example. Could be pick 9, 10, 11, ? Etc. Again not saying they should but Jerry scares me. Attention is his drug and he can't kick the habit.

Aven8

Reaction score
Screw the draft pub, I hope it's to get Vea or Smith.

Torturedcowboysfan

Reaction score
If they move up it should be for R. Smith or Ridley. I feel both are game changers in positions of need for Dallas. I would also add I think Vita Vea could have a ripple effect type impact that would improve the defense.
Ridleys too old.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Adding picks to other picks to move up a couple spots is such a waste

Trade back in the early rounds and trade up in the middle rounds

JustChip

Reaction score
Adding picks to other picks to move up a couple spots is such a waste

Trade back in the early rounds and trade up in the middle rounds

True. Trading up doesn't ensure you don't get a bust, no matter where you move up to. The only antidote for missing on a pick, in any round, is more picks. Now, if you can trade 2-4 spots at marginal cost to get the player you really covet (e.g., Vea - not saying they covet him, just as an example if they do), then by all means do it. I would not generally trade back out of the 1st round simply because I like having the 5th year rookie option available.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
True. Trading up doesn't ensure you don't get a bust, no matter where you move up to. The only antidote for missing on a pick, in any round, is more picks. Now, if you can trade 2-4 spots at marginal cost to get the player you really covet (e.g., Vea - not saying they covet him, just as an example if they do), then by all means do it. I would not generally trade back out of the 1st round simply because I like having the 5th year rookie option available.
The 5th year option is nice.........they almost blew it when they went from 18 to 31 with TFred/TWill........but it seemed like too little return for such a drop.... we were targeting OL and there was a huge run on them before our pick

The Draft sweet spot to me is the mid 1st thru the late 3rd...... the more picks you get in the top100 the better....you can get immediate impact players and the cost is a lot less than moving up to the top15

I would use those 4-5th Comp picks to move up if possible and the 6-7th on project QBs and troubled talent that fall

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 5th year option is nice.........they almost blew it when they went from 18 to 31 with TFred/TWill........but it seemed like too little return for such a drop.... we were targeting OL and there was a huge run on them before our pick

The Draft sweet spot to me is the mid 1st thru the late 3rd...... the more picks you get in the top100 the better....you can get immediate impact players and the cost is a lot less than moving up to the top15

I would use those 4-5th Comp picks to move up if possible and the 6-7th on project QBs and troubled talent that fall
I think #19 is a good spot. It's likely that a player the Cowboys have ranked top 10 could fall to them at #19 based on the leaked draft boards from years past.

Value wise, the early 2nd is the sweet spot to me.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think #19 is a good spot. It's likely that a player the Cowboys have ranked top 10 could fall to them at #19 based on the leaked draft boards from years past.

I have run a bunch of draft simulations and I like trading back the most..... there are always a 1/2 dozen players at 19 that I would love to draft

1st traded back a few spots for a late 2nd/3rd

JustChip

Reaction score

Agreed. There will be a run on QBs and combine freaks that push some very high caliber players down. Emmitt Smith was 17 and there's not much difference between 17 and 19. And Randy Moss was 21st. I think passing on Randy Moss influenced taking a risk with Randy Gregory.

JustChip

Reaction score

I'm with ya. I like the rookie option, but it's not justification for reaching for a player. There's a breakpoint at which the later 1st round picks are essentially the same as the first part of the 2nd round so the rookie option is a reason to take the player in the 1st. But after that breakpoint, there's a drop-off of the player talent and your reaching just to have the rookie option.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have run a bunch of draft simulations and I like trading back the most..... there are always a 1/2 dozen players at 19 that I would love to draft

1st traded back a few spots for a late 2nd/3rd
Hopefully that is a more realistic simulator than most people use for mock drafts...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Hopefully that is a more realistic simulator than most people use for mock drafts...
It is first pick but the players are the players

It is the only user friendly app I have found.....I don't trust the picks but you can do the math yourself

I was picking first as the Browns and was completely underwhelmed with the choices