This offseason priority-fix the run game!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Last year's offseason the team's priority was fixing the rush defense, now it looks like the other side of the football:

-Teams are daring the Cowboys to beat them on the ground and they just cannot do so.
-Yes, Zeke is hurt and unproductive, but Pollard also has had his struggles.
-OL is a penalty machine
-Starting TE is a terrible inline blocker
-Playcaller gets away from the run and does little to scheme for it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
offseason hell, need to be this week into the playoffs.

the biggest issues with our run game aren't our RBs sorry,

1. Offensive line blocking and penalty's..
  2. offensive line health, never the same lineup ie no consistency's
  3. offensive line not suited for the run game
  4. Kellen Moore is not a run game coordinator, has zero idea how to practice, insert, incorporate a run game into his pass happy tree.
  5. open holes, our rbs will find this is a fact look at what happened when we did make the run priority during the 6 game win streak. at some point Moore, dak, and the offense on whole decided they wanted to throw 35times game because running was too hard ie defenses taking it away. quitters they are trying to go the easy route instead of practicing and emphasizing the run. they gave up.. it's fixable we are capable we saw it during the 6-game win streak and we need to to a lot like the eagles and 9ers decided just run until it becomes successful. IDC if it 2-3YPC at first just go this week in meaningless game and run 40 times 20 different formations experiment and try and find run rhythm. our PA and long pass has suffered from no run game.
lets be clear, its the OL 75% of the issues is in fact OL play and mistakes. they are drive killers' momentum killers and allow the defense to make us left-handed. Hard to play with one dimensional. that's a fact. weve seen the opposite in ravens and titans not being able to throw, its the same concept you cant be easy to defense, easy to take away half the offense and win big games against good opponents. we are a good team lost by 3 when we played horribly. THats actually a sign its fixable. 12 runs that it against team that struggled stopping the run? seriously shorthanded small DL, thats all you try? I Mean is MM not in Moores ear , that sad sickening and unacceptable.

we are about to be the 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers went from hot to not real fast and the most hollow 11-5 team in the league. we've became soft, mistake prone, and shown an winningest to fight to fix the run game.

basically, like a bad relationship, we are settling. wev accepted not running.

that Moore, the Ol, and overall, the attitude has become soft. they are allowing teams to dictate who we are.

fix it now not the offseason, NOW!!

we have perfect opportunity in meaningless game, outdoors in cold weather to just go work on the run game, dont care if its a bunch of 2-3 yard runs and 6 punts we need to just run all game and find something that works. dont care if it is using 4 Rbs finding out what Clements and Smith can also add to this.

maybe we leave a few WRs home for the playoffs and actually use FB and more Rbs..go make this happen.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Last year's offseason the team's priority was fixing the rush defense, now it looks like the other side of the football:

-Teams are daring the Cowboys to beat them on the ground and they just cannot do so.
-Yes, Zeke is hurt and unproductive, but Pollard also has had his struggles.
-OL is a penalty machine
-Starting TE is a terrible inline blocker
-Playcaller gets away from the run and does little to scheme for it.
I would draft two center/guard prospects. Bring in a new tight end that can block and catch passes. Draft Zeke’s replacement in the 3rd-5th round. I would trade Cooper for middle round picks. CeeDee is our 1. You don’t need two. Draft speed receivers and develop them. Gallup/Wilson developed well. Use the money to bring back Gregory, Kearse, and a true 1 tech. We are a running football team. Dak is top end bus driver. Nothing wrong with that. Let’s have a gritty tough football team led by Parsons. That is the only way we can beat these high octane offenses. Ball control football.

glimmerman

Reaction score
offseason hell, need to be this week into the playoffs.

the biggest issues with our run game aren't our RBs sorry,

1. Offensive line blocking and penalty's..
  2. offensive line health, never the same lineup ie no consistency's
  3. offensive line not suited for the run game
  4. Kellen Moore is not a run game coordinator, has zero idea how to practice, insert, incorporate a run game into his pass happy tree.
  5. open holes, our rbs will find this is a fact look at what happened when we did make the run priority during the 6 game win streak. at some point Moore, dak, and the offense on whole decided they wanted to throw 35times game because running was too hard ie defenses taking it away. quitters they are trying to go the easy route instead of practicing and emphasizing the run. they gave up.. it's fixable we are capable we saw it during the 6-game win streak and we need to to a lot like the eagles and 9ers decided just run until it becomes successful. IDC if it 2-3YPC at first just go this week in meaningless game and run 40 times 20 different formations experiment and try and find run rhythm. our PA and long pass has suffered from no run game.
lets be clear, its the OL 75% of the issues is in fact OL play and mistakes. they are drive killers' momentum killers and allow the defense to make us left-handed. Hard to play with one dimensional. that's a fact. weve seen the opposite in ravens and titans not being able to throw, its the same concept you cant be easy to defense, easy to take away half the offense and win big games against good opponents. we are a good team lost by 3 when we played horribly. THats actually a sign its fixable. 12 runs that it against team that struggled stopping the run? seriously shorthanded small DL, thats all you try? I Mean is MM not in Moores ear , that sad sickening and unacceptable.

we are about to be the 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers went from hot to not real fast and the most hollow 11-5 team in the league. we've became soft, mistake prone, and shown an winningest to fight to fix the run game.

basically, like a bad relationship, we are settling. wev accepted not running.

that Moore, the Ol, and overall, the attitude has become soft. they are allowing teams to dictate who we are.

fix it now not the offseason, NOW!!

we have perfect opportunity in meaningless game, outdoors in cold weather to just go work on the run game, dont care if its a bunch of 2-3 yard runs and 6 punts we need to just run all game and find something that works. dont care if it is using 4 Rbs finding out what Clements and Smith can also add to this.

maybe we leave a few WRs home for the playoffs and actually use FB and more Rbs..go make this happen.
I agree. Priority 1. Fire O-Line coach. This guy don’t get it. The O-Line is a direct reflection of this guy. Sloppy play. Timing is off. They are not being aggressive. They fall back like they are pass protecting instead of run blocking. These are mistakes a good coach could get fixed..

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I feel like it's this year or bust for this group of veteran players.

That's the attitude they need to have.

I know it's beating a dead horse, but paying an average QB elite QB money will see to it that we cannot field the team around him needed for him to succeed including a good o-line, therefor making the team worse in the process.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I assume that cutting Zeke is also part of the plan. Has anyone thought about the effect that will have on the QB? Dak isn't playing well with his best friend beside him. What will happen when that security blanket is gone?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I assume that cutting Zeke is also part of the plan. Has anyone thought about the effect that will have on the QB? Dak isn't playing well with his best friend beside him. What will happen when that security blanket is gone?
Dak's a lost cause as far as I'm concerned.

I think we should dump Zeke if possible, invest whatever we can afford into the o-line, and make this a run first and run heavy team. That's the only chance we're going to have going forward. We need to make Dak be Ryan Tannehill whether he likes it or not.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I would draft two center/guard prospects. Bring in a new tight end that can block and catch passes. Draft Zeke’s replacement in the 3rd-5th round. I would trade Cooper for middle round picks. CeeDee is our 1. You don’t need two. Draft speed receivers and develop them. Gallup/Wilson developed well. Use the money to bring back Gregory, Kearse, and a true 1 tech. We are a running football team. Dak is top end bus driver. Nothing wrong with that. Let’s have a gritty tough football team led by Parsons. That is the only way we can beat these high octane offenses. Ball control football.

Trade Martin if he has any premium trade value left. He isn't dominating & if you can get value this is your last chance to do so. Make pretty sweeping changes to the OL and see if we can reinvigorate it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Not this year. Elliot’s contract will cost to much to cut him. Same with D-Law..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Dak's a lost cause as far as I'm concerned.

I think we should dump Zeke if possible, invest whatever we can afford into the o-line, and make this a run first and run heavy team. That's the only chance we're going to have going forward. We need to make Dak be Ryan Tannehill whether he likes it or not.

Sure, you have to try to put everything around him for the remainder of his contract. That's the enormity of the commitment \ mistake the organization made last year.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Sure, you have to try to put everything around him for the remainder of his contract. That's the enormity of the commitment \ mistake the organization made last year.
I say don't even invest heavily in WRs until Dak is gone.

Once Cooper's contract is up let him go, let Gallup go, let Shultz go because he's not a great blocker, see what happens with Lamb.

Invest everything into thedefense, O-Line and great blocking TEs (Don't even worry about their receiving ability). Dak needs an elite run game to carry him while he can just play bus driver. No team will ever win anything being pass first when Dak is the QB.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Trade Martin if he has any premium trade value left. He isn't dominating & if you can get value this is your last chance to do so. Make pretty sweeping changes to the OL and see if we can reinvigorate it.
I would not have an issue with trading Martin but the owner/gm would never do it. I just hope someone can convince the Joneses that we have generational defensive talent in Parsons and that defense is the best way to get to the Super Bowl.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I say don't even invest heavily in WRs until Dak is gone.

Once Cooper's contract is up let him go, let Gallup go, let Shultz go because he's not a great blocker, see what happens with Lamb.

Invest everything into thedefense, O-Line and great blocking TEs (Don't even worry about their receiving ability). Dak needs an elite run game to carry him while he can just play bus driver. No team will ever win anything being pass first when Dak is the QB.

Like all big decisions, it sorta depends on guesses & projections. If you view it as short term, ie, the span of Dak's contract, then you can certainly make that case. If you view it as try to win in that window but leave yourself a more complete team for the "next" era, then maybe you moderate the philosophy.

Creeper

Reaction score
The only struggles Pollard is having is getting the ball. Zeke is another story. Zeke has clearly lost it and is not the same player he was as a rookie. He is living off his name now.

The biggest problem with the Cowboys running game is they are not running the ball enough. If you throw 39 times and run 17, 5 of which are runs by the QB, chances are you will not have a successful running game. Everyone talks about how badly Dak has played of late, with the exception of Atlanta and Washington, and yet the Cowboys throw, throw, throw. Why not try to establish the running game early and see what happens?

The first play of the game last Sunday opened my eyes big time. Moore called that silly WR screen. The Cardinals saw it was coming before the Cowboys were even set. They anticipated the snap and were behind the Cowboys' blockers before Dak threw the ball. It was almost intercepted for a pick 6. Based on the alignment and Moore's tendencies the defense knew what play was coming. Dak should have throw it into the ground and was lucky it wasn't picked off. The question is, has the league caught on to Moore? Is he predictable? Apparently, yes, because he throws the call all the time.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I made 75 million in 2021 and I lost my binky pacifier. Dak better shut up and play.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This team can fix its run game problems by simply committing to running the ball. They aren't going to run for 200 yards and 6 ypc every game. Sometimes it's going to be 110 yards on 35 carries.. So what? You still have to do it. Your offense has to be diversified .. no matter what softheads try to sell us on no QB has ever won anything "by himself." Dak is not going to be the first. The throw it throw it throw it and throw it some more plan doesn't work. At least not for this team. I'm not sure it works for any team. Every Super Bowl in the last 20 years has featured at least one team with a top 10 rushing attack and most years it has been both teams. Yet Kellen Moore has decided that it's not important.. "Yards are yards" he says. Dude is clueless where the running game is concerned and that as much as anything is why I want him gone.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think we need to invest some draft capital in OL. And probably need to think about replacing Philbin as OL coach.

We are stuck with Elliott so you can't really re-work the TB position. Elliott, Pollard and Clement (if you bring him back), is a nice trio if they get consistent run blocking.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think we need to invest some draft capital in OL. And probably need to think about replacing Philbin as OL coach.

We are stuck with Elliott so you can't really re-work the TB position. Elliott, Pollard and Clement (if you bring him back), is a nice trio if they get consistent run blocking.

I have a huge fear that by playing through whatever this injury is Zeke is doing irreparable damage to that knee. They won't tell us what it is but it sure as hell aint no bruise as they first indicated. Bruises don't take over two months to heal and don't require a brace. There must be something seriously wrong with that knee and it worries me that whatever it is can't be fixed after you play 12 games on it.

Oh and I agree. Philbin has to go. These linemen are too good to be playing this bad.. When Zack Martin and Tyron Smith are getting more than once or twice a game it's a huge red flag.

Sydla

Reaction score
I have a huge fear that by playing through whatever this injury is Zeke is doing irreparable damage to that knee. They won't tell us what it is but it sure as hell aint no bruise as they first indicated. Bruises don't take over two months to heal and don't require a brace. There must be something seriously wrong with that knee and it worries me that whatever it is can't be fixed after you play 12 games on it.

Oh and I agree. Philbin has to go. These linemen are too good to be playing this bad.. When Zack Martin and Tyron Smith are getting more than once or twice a game it's a huge red flag.

Maybe but he was already pretty cooked as a big time back before the injury. He wasn't nearly the same explosive back he was years ago.

Could have been avoided if the Cowboys stuck to their original plan they had in 2015 where their data showed TBs production drops off after a certain number of carries and the overall wear and tear of the position.