CFZ This sounds familiar

Sandyf

Reaction score
Great thing opinions are because an opinion we have currently could very well change in 5 months or so.

IMO, the analytics department has had the most important say in the off season than ever before be it free agency, resigning contracts, not resigning guys, and the draft. We will see what the season holds for us but seriously doubt the lack of drafting a RB will be the difference. In this past draft class, the only true RB worth a 1st or 2nd was Brooks who suffered an ACL tear in November so betting he might be good or better but not until probably the last 5 or 6 games, similar to what we saw with Pollard last year. As to RB, other than McCafferty who were the great RBs of the playoff teams last year.

Green Bay won because their OL crushed our DTs and LBs last year and our secondary was the ones making the tackles. Green Bay was alternating between Dillon and Jones. They let Jones go after the season and guess what they drafted 3 OL guys, tackle, center, swing tackle and a 3rd round RB and signed Josh Jacobs who did sign a 4 yr deal for $48 million but they have an out after the 1st year with only $7 million dead money in 2025. But it will be a two back rotating backfield. They cared more about upgrading the OL.

Based on what is coming out of actual non media types but true football types, is that both Guyton and Beebe are working daily in Dallas on Beebe at OC and Guyton at LT. It should be easier for Guyton because he is a blind side protector since Oklahoma had a left handed QB, all about changing stance and not a wholesale change. Beebe changing to OC will be a change but only in learning the line calls. As to backups, Bass can play all interior positions and Nathan Thomas is supposedly working with Duke Mayweather as a OG/OT with concentration at OG. What do all these guys have in common? They are good pass protectors but they are great run blockers.

Is Elliott enough at RB for us? Probably not, and I don't really trust Dowdle or Davis or Duece or Freeman or Connor as the pair up with Elliott. There are a number of guys that will be available around August 15th either as potential cuts or 6th or 7th round trade value. Frankly, I would look to the guys that have the Pollard traits like fast, and catches well out of the backfield. The guys on the roster currently are more up the middle guys.

Same goes for WR. We have Lamb (he will be extended), Cooks, Tolbert, Brooks, and Turpin. Could very well see Tolbert take the next step as the #2 guy and could put Cooks as trade bait. Turpin also does well out of the backfield on jet sweeps and as a return guy where I believe they will also have Flornoy also playing due to the new rules. Stephens also could be used as a WR especially in the red zone if he flashes like he did last year in training camp. Right now I would say only Lamb and Tolbert are the sure roster spots.

If the analytics are correct then both Guyton and Beebe will be instant starters and the OL will once again be a strength all season. If we have some 3000 yards between 3 RBs, it will be a good year and a playoff year. Pretty sure analytics have told the Cowboys which guys will be a better asset at every position so guess we will see how it plays out.

So yes, I am cautiously optimist that we will have a very good season. Training camp is some 3 months away and where the bar will go higher or sink much lower. I will let it play out and see.

Motorola

Reaction score
It is morbid discussion but I foresee Jerry Jones stepping down as general manager and making final decisions for football operations at age 92 following the 2034 NFL season--unless he suffers mental incompetency and the family legally removing his authority and autonomy before that time.
What many Cowboys fans don't realize is that NFL franchise ownership not only equates to an illustrious heirloom that is a mega-value, never-ending cash cow, but also perrineally provides a profitable pipeline for municipal operations (law enforcement for one), local and regional businesses, entrepreneurs, and support for philanthropic causes.
That is why the McCaskeys (Halas descendants), Rooneys, Maras, Hunts, Bidwells, etc. continue to retain control...and why the Jones family does likewise.
The best thing Cowboys fans can hope for is that Stephen Jones swallows his ego and cedes football operations to qualified people outside of the family, and just runs part of the franchise empire (and other business endeavors his father left behind) like his two siblings.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
Remember the 2018 off-season? Our front office decided we didn’t need expensive WRs. We can “develop our own”, and even find some cheap decent receivers in free agency. After releasing Dez Bryant, the Cowboys signed FA Allen Hurns, kept slot receiver Cole Beasley, still had a very diminished Terrance Williams. We drafted Michael Gallup in round three but he was almost a year away from finding himself. It didn’t go well.

Fast forward to mid-season 2018. The Cowboys were struggling offensively with essentially no WR to seriously threaten the defense. With no big receiving threat, DCs stacked the box and made the Cowboys offense crawl into the late October bye with a 3-4 record. So much for not needing any marquee receivers.

So Jerry picked up the phone and acquired talented young receiver Amari Cooper from the Raiders in exchange for the Cowboys 2019 first round pick. (a WR trade? Now that sounds very familiar!) The good news was Cooper was an immediate help and the Cowboys went 7-2 the rest of the season. We made the playoffs and beat the Seahawks in a wild card game that January. Only to get rolled by the rams in the divisional round.

Fast forward to the 2024 off-season. Tony Pollard is gone. The Cowboys chose not to draft a RB. We are in the midst of retooling our OL and made a big effort to address that in the draft with Tyler Guyton and Cooper Bebee. But we have chosen to re-sign the ancient, declined Zeke Elliottt while pretending that Rico Dowdle and Chihuahua sized Deuce Vaughn will be plenty good to build a good running game around. Jerry says Zeke still has “RB1 qualities”. Wow.

So…this 2024 off-season is starting to sound eerily familiar. Is a trade for a RB in the future? Before midseason? Or will we find a decent one in late summer cuts? Just in time for the regular season when the real games that matter begin. SMH. This sounds too familiar.
It sounds familiar, but the difference is now we are an even cheaper team. Cap Boy is running the show, and the future isn't bright when the guy in charge is surfing the Internet on his phone and clipping coupons during games.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What many Cowboys fans don't realize is that NFL franchise ownership not only equates to an illustrious heirloom that is a mega-value, never-ending cash cow, but also perrineally provides a profitable pipeline for municipal operations (law enforcement for one), local and regional businesses, entrepreneurs, and support for philanthropic causes.
That is why the McCaskeys (Halas descendants), Rooneys, Maras, Hunts, Bidwells, etc. continue to retain control...and why the Jones family does likewise.
The best thing Cowboys fans can hope for is that Stephen Jones swallows his ego and cedes football operations to qualified people outside of the family, and just runs part of the franchise empire (and other business endeavors his father left behind) like his two siblings.
Good post.

EJK24

Reaction score
Bob, it’s May 4th.
I appreciate your loyalty and optimism. I truly do because there are many times this team does things that to can be frustrating. I just feel like if grabbed a rb free agency or found one in the draft it would alleviate the concern there and it wouldn't be such an obvious need

rambo2

Reaction score
It sounds familiar, but the difference is now we are an even cheaper team. Cap Boy is running the show, and the future isn't bright when the guy in charge is surfing the Internet on his phone and clipping coupons during games.
Are you saying that they aren't going to sign Dak, Lamb, and Parsons?

Motorola

Reaction score
Great thing opinions are because an opinion we have currently could very well change in 5 months or so.

IMO, the analytics department has had the most important say in the off season than ever before be it free agency, resigning contracts, not resigning guys, and the draft. We will see what the season holds for us but seriously doubt the lack of drafting a RB will be the difference. In this past draft class, the only true RB worth a 1st or 2nd was Brooks who suffered an ACL tear in November so betting he might be good or better but not until probably the last 5 or 6 games, similar to what we saw with Pollard last year. As to RB, other than McCafferty who were the great RBs of the playoff teams last year.

Green Bay won because their OL crushed our DTs and LBs last year and our secondary was the ones making the tackles. Green Bay was alternating between Dillon and Jones. They let Jones go after the season and guess what they drafted 3 OL guys, tackle, center, swing tackle and a 3rd round RB and signed Josh Jacobs who did sign a 4 yr deal for $48 million but they have an out after the 1st year with only $7 million dead money in 2025. But it will be a two back rotating backfield. They cared more about upgrading the OL.

Based on what is coming out of actual non media types but true football types, is that both Guyton and Beebe are working daily in Dallas on Beebe at OC and Guyton at LT. It should be easier for Guyton because he is a blind side protector since Oklahoma had a left handed QB, all about changing stance and not a wholesale change. Beebe changing to OC will be a change but only in learning the line calls. As to backups, Bass can play all interior positions and Nathan Thomas is supposedly working with Duke Mayweather as a OG/OT with concentration at OG. What do all these guys have in common? They are good pass protectors but they are great run blockers.

Is Elliott enough at RB for us? Probably not, and I don't really trust Dowdle or Davis or Duece or Freeman or Connor as the pair up with Elliott. There are a number of guys that will be available around August 15th either as potential cuts or 6th or 7th round trade value. Frankly, I would look to the guys that have the Pollard traits like fast, and catches well out of the backfield. The guys on the roster currently are more up the middle guys.

Same goes for WR. We have Lamb (he will be extended), Cooks, Tolbert, Brooks, and Turpin. Could very well see Tolbert take the next step as the #2 guy and could put Cooks as trade bait. Turpin also does well out of the backfield on jet sweeps and as a return guy where I believe they will also have Flornoy also playing due to the new rules. Stephens also could be used as a WR especially in the red zone if he flashes like he did last year in training camp. Right now I would say only Lamb and Tolbert are the sure roster spots.

If the analytics are correct then both Guyton and Beebe will be instant starters and the OL will once again be a strength all season. If we have some 3000 yards between 3 RBs, it will be a good year and a playoff year. Pretty sure analytics have told the Cowboys which guys will be a better asset at every position so guess we will see how it plays out.

So yes, I am cautiously optimist that we will have a very good season. Training camp is some 3 months away and where the bar will go higher or sink much lower. I will let it play out and see.
Just a minor addendum to your very good post ---
August 15th - I expect the league's 32 teams well be in the middle of their 3-game preseason slate, so the cut downs to the 53-player prior to the regular season will happen at at the end of that month. (Last year it was on August 29th.)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I appreciate your loyalty and optimism. I truly do because there are many times this team does things that to can be frustrating. I just feel like if grabbed a rb free agency or found one in the draft it would alleviate the concern there and it wouldn't be such an obvious need
Free agency opening was certainly frustrating. Not sure what their ultimate goal is after this offseason but time will tell. As for RB and DT, there should be some June 1st cuts and teams will have players they’re will to trade for another player or picks or both. Not sure what they’re going to do about Dak but if he doesn’t accept a reasonable contract then he’s probably gone which is okay with me as long as they‘ve got someone better or potentially better in the wings.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Free agency is still going and trades can be made anytime up until the trade deadline. Any other questions just ask and we’ll help you out.
So if any, it’ll be another bargain basement FA like Freeman and Zeke, or we will make a trade. I’d say the latter is doubtful going by what they’ve done so far.

EJK24

Reaction score
Free agency opening was certainly frustrating. Not sure what their ultimate goal is after this offseason but time will tell. As for RB and DT, there should be some June 1st cuts and teams will have players they’re will to trade for another player or picks or both. Not sure what they’re going to do about Dak but if he doesn’t accept a reasonable contract then he’s probably gone which is okay with me as long as they‘ve got someone better or potentially better in the wings.
I hope they look at this like they do the WR years back that the position by committee can't be the answer. Definitely need multiple backs for depth but id love to have the work horse back that we can trade for like we did Cooper that year. Don't wanna see us use a first obviously but a mid round pick for a starting quality RB would be fine by me. Thanks for the reply.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
There will be some good RBs on the waiver wire and other teams practice squads.
The “good RBs” will not be on the waiver wire or other teams’ practice squads. They’ll be on other teams’ 53 man rosters.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
No matter who is at wide receiver or running back, the season always ends the same way. Cowboys could have Randy Moss at wide receiver and Derrick Henry at running back and the season would still end the same.

1000 yard stare against any formidable defense with a pulse. Ball getting ran down their throat. Great thing is the No.1 GM in football passed on both of the aforementioned stars in their primes.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
…ongoing spin since 2001? 2002?

At one point, JJ/SJ led their franchise to one playoff win over an 18 year period. Not quite what Tex did for the Cowboys, so yeah, very familiar.

They‘re just gonna go into 2024 unprepared…again, I think the team will struggle to reach five wins, which will force a few options to come to fruition.

1. Cut every veteran player possible and all the coaches (save for players on rookie contracts) at the end of the season, high draft pick incoming.

2. Fire MM after miserable 1 - 5 start (or similar), clean house at the end of the season, high draft pick incoming.

3. The team wins 7 - 9 wins, misses the playoffs, JJ/SJ fires the coaching staff, releases high cost vets,

I think 7 - 9 is the ceiling, and the floor is 3 - 5 wins.

Just because a player might be physically recovered from an injury, doesn’t mean he is mentally recovered.

I am doubtful about the offense again, it’s gonna be one dimensional, and the D will struggle to stop the run for the fifth straight season. You have to at least have the threat of a running game!
Don't worry!
The owner will fire the GM!

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Our run game sucked last year so I don’t think it will matter much. I also think you can get by with average RB with good line play. I’m actually much more worried about our receivers than our running backs. I just think it’s a more important and more difficult position to address in todays NFL.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Good post - well said although I don’t see it all exactly the way you do.

Despite my concerns about the RB position, I do believe we addressed the OL very well in the draft. Too early to know for sure how any draft will work out but Guyton and Bebee certainly look good on paper. And I do believe oor FO has recognized that the trenches are critical to any team’s success, so that’s good.