This team’s identity

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if some of our woes are due to not gelling yet because of no preseason. If this team can't run ball control/TOP strategies effectively this season, then I would like to see that addressed in the draft and in the off season. When we're able to do the grind-it-out running to hog the clock, we've had excellent seasons. I don't think Dak is the type of QB who can carry the load in a pass happy offense.
I disagree about Dak. It’s a myth that he can’t carry a passing game. He’s already 4-1 in games in games he’s thrown for over 400 yards. Dak’s had 14 games throwing for 300 or more and he’s 9-5 in those games. It’s a complete myth that he can’t lead a passing game.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The OL isn't good enough and dominating NFL D's with a run game is a tough challenge, unless you have a running QB.

The other part of this is this team has spent two 1sts on WR's and 20M on one of them and the passing game is THE thing in the NFL now as the fans want more scoring. 31M to a QB doesn't enhance the run game.

That's part of what I've been afraid of -- overpaying for skill positions when a great O line and ball control is what has worked for this team.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I disagree about Dak. It’s a myth that he can’t carry a passing game. He’s already 4-1 in games in games he’s thrown for over 400 yards. Dak’s had 14 games throwing for 300 or more and he’s 9-5 in those games. It’s a complete myth that he can’t lead a passing game.

He's had his best W/L record when he had superb support from the O line and running game, namely 2016.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's part of what I've been afraid of -- overpaying for skill positions when a great O line and ball control is what has worked for this team.
We would need to define “what has worked”. If that means we’ve had 2-3 decent years in regular season but never even won a divisional playoff game, I wouldn’t exactly call that “what has worked” in the past. And it’s probably why no team going to SBs the last decade or more were not completely ball control run game teams. It’s not as difficult to stop as a good passing game in the modern NFL rules.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's had his best W/L record when he had superb support from the O line and running game, namely 2016.
That’s true, Dak’s best year record wise was 2016, but wouldn’t you agree this 2020 version of the Cowboys isn’t the 2016 version? In 2017, several teams switched how they played the Cowboys run game and were very effective in stopping it. Just saying “let’s run the ball” 35-40 times a game doesn’t guarantee the running game will be what it once was. The OL we once had is not even in the same zip code as that 2014-2016 line.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We would need to define “what has worked”. If that means we’ve had 2-3 decent years in regular season but never even won a divisional playoff game, I wouldn’t exactly call that “what has worked” in the past. And it’s probably why no team going to SBs the last decade or more were not completely ball control run game teams. It’s not as difficult to stop as a good passing game in the modern NFL rules.

Dak and the team did come very close to winning that playoff game against Green Bay in 2016. They were competitive and did not get blown out. Great run-game support also seemed to work best for Romo, as we came closest in 2014 when they did win a playoff game and then basically got hozed out of going to the NFC championship game by that ridiculous reversal of the pass that Dez caught.

Dak's passing does look much, much improved over previous seasons, but I'm hesitant to want this team to go pass happy, given how much a good running game traditionally helps a quarterback to succeed. That's why I've been frustrated by Dak's demands for top money. It's as if he doesn't understand how much a great O-line and running attack can help him. When the opponent is super worried about getting burned on the ground, they bring up those 8-man fronts, opening up the field for our passing game. Then with Dak's improved abilities, he should be able to shred defenses. I'm not convinced on those pass happy schemes. It seems to me you can make those work with a superb, high-end QB like a Marino or a Brady in his prime. I'm not as convinced that that can work with someone who is a good, though not elite, QB.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Until they're not on the ropes to start a game, they only have the identity of a scrapper comeback team.

We haven't seen the strategy of the offense revealed yet because they have to go to tactics so early in the two games they've played.

Can you imagine McC, Moore and Nolan watching the Rams just march down the field against them with what was a problematic OL and their RB1 gone? They're figuring it will take a while for the teams to settle in and the Rams fired on all cylinders on their first opening drive of the season. That set off an alarm for the defense with Nolan immediately. Add to that his DL was a no show while the Rams wrecked the Cowboys OL.

I don't know if this will continue but the identity of this team is a boxer analogy, counter puncher. That could really blow up on them with SEA as they don't stop to take a breath.
Yes..

we are counter-punchers.

I said this the other day in some thread.

We have to get our nose bloodied and taste our own blood before we wake up.

That's not a good thing. Bleeding out in order to get off the mat to rise to the occasion only works once, twice maybe but its not a way to win.

Your opponents quickly discover you have a glass jaw and they will focus on that till you stop it.

Carry the fight to them and dictate the terms of the fight.

Enough..got to find my cut manager.

I am suddenly bleeding all over the keyboard typing this.

:huh:

conner01

Reaction score
It does. I'm interested in what people think we're going to become...as in what are our strengths? It's pure speculation at this point.
What do you see this team becoming?
I think our strength is obviously the offense
That’s where the talent is less the injuries
We can pound and attack
Lamb is gonna prove me wrong and may very well lead the team in catches
If we can get the oline healthy we can eat clock and hit big plays

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
KC had to come from behind in all 3 playoff games last year, and has had to do the same in one game this year.

That's happened to many teams before. No team has, or can continue to, do that week after week, year after year. One of two things always happens:

1. The team finally learns how to get ahead, and stay ahead. Come from behind wins aren't needed much.
2. The team starts to fail at comebacks, and falls back into mediocrity, or worse.

KC is on the clock, which team will they become?

Looks like the latter looking at the way they handled the Ravens, though it's still early, the Ravens might end up 8-8 and out of the playoffs, with this crazy year it's not out of the realm of possibility...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Show me the NFL teams that don't have good W/L records with a superb running game. That's oldest tried and true theory for success.

If a team is passing a lot it is often because they are behind. In most cases the QB isn't the reason they are behind - he's the guy trying to bail them out.

The rules applied to Dak here are unlike any I've ever seen applied to other QBs. Assess any QB the way you did here and you'll find similar results.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Right now the team's identity is to dig a hole and fight like crazy to come back.