This team needs some adversity

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
We all agree it's about December and January, especially with this team.

A loss in September where some play-calling problems surfaced and defensive deficiencies are apparent, could be a good thing in the long run.

After watching Wade Phillips continually reciting his team's record last year -- even when it was apparent to most of us that there were problems -- it may take a loss or two, or three, during the first half of the season for him and others to fully grasp the seriousness of things.

They are 16-4 during the regular season over the last two years and haven't been pinned to the wall and forced to really fight during the regular season. I think what the Giants had to go through early in the season last year actually hardened them for their winter run.

Tom Landry once said that adversity is a good thing because only through adversity is character built. I think we all agree that this team needs to get tougher and could use more character. Of course, there are individuals on this team who don't have this problem ... I'm talking about the team as a whole.

I don't like watching them lose, especially to the Commanders, but they can get something positive out of this. They might not, but they can.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
which is why Wade is kind of a bad head coach

what exactly does he inspire w/ his hands-off approach? yeah, you get in trouble if you slack off under his watch, but that attitude allows players to do only enough to where they get by, and not in trouble

it's obvious we need someone to be constantly on most of these guys, so maybe adversity will harden some of these coaches to the players

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I absolutely agree, Chief.

In fact, that was my prediction for this year, that we'd have some kind of adversity early in the year -- an injury, bad luck, just bad play, something -- but that we'd be better at the end of the year partly because of it. Just a feeling based on everything going so abnormally perfect early last year.

Everyone talks about getting hot at the end of the year, but let's face it: It's not as if Tom Coughlin lost games on purpose early in the year so he could build up momentum at the end. To some degree, it's luck. But it is a very long season, and only a mediocrity is always at its best. The down times early in the year can toughen you and set you up for a run later in the year.

This team needs a period of not always being the favorite and not constantly being told how great it is. Not by the coaches, but by the fans and media.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2295500 said:
which is why Wade is kind of a bad head coach

what exactly does he inspire w/ his hands-off approach? yeah, you get in trouble if you slack off under his watch, but that attitude allows players to do only enough to where they get by, and not in trouble

it's obvious we need someone to be constantly on most of these guys, so maybe adversity will harden some of these coaches to the players

*shrugs* Didn't work with Parcells' hands-on approach. Of course, the excuse was he was "holding this team back".

We can play musical chairs with coaches, but the results will be the same.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Chief;2295492 said:
This team needs some Leadership

Fixed.

Speaking of leadership, that's the one thing I wish Romo had (or would improve). I'd rather him lead the team (like Aikman did) instead of being everybody's "Buddy". Yeah he's a cool dude and would probably be fun hanging out and drinking a beer with, but the team needs a leader from that position, not a drinking buddy.

Oh no, someone criticized everybody's all american. :rolleyes:

I like Romo, I just think the team would be better off if he got in people's faces more and lead. JMO

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Rack;2295596 said:
Speaking of leadership, that's the one thing I wish Romo had (or would improve). I'd rather him lead the team (like Aikman did) instead of being everybody's "Buddy". Yeah he's a cool dude and would probably be fun hanging out and drinking a beer with, but the team needs a leader from that position, not a drinking buddy.

Oh no, someone criticized everybody's all american. :rolleyes:

I like Romo, I just think the team would be better off if he got in people's faces more and lead. JMO
I hate the way he sulks and slumps his shoulders when things aren't going well. That's one criticism of him I've had since that Seattle bobble when he looked like he was going to cry on the bench and the game was still far from over.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
PLEASE don't EVER mention Tom Landry with Cupcake.

Adversity is not a character builder when you have no real leaders and a terrible, terrible soft coach.

What you posted would be great if we had a legitimate HC and legitimate DC and more experienced OC also.

Chief;2295492 said:

A loss in September where some play-calling problems surfaced and defensive deficiencies are apparent, could be a good thing in the long run.

After watching Wade Phillips continually reciting his team's record last year -- even when it was apparent to most of us that there were problems -- it may take a loss or two, or three, during the first half of the season for him and others to fully grasp the seriousness of things.

They are 16-4 during the regular season over the last two years and haven't been pinned to the wall and forced to really fight during the regular season. I think what the Giants had to go through early in the season last year actually hardened them for their winter run.

Tom Landry once said that adversity is a good thing because only through adversity is character built. I think we all agree that this team needs to get tougher and could use more character. Of course, there are individuals on this team who don't have this problem ... I'm talking about the team as a whole.

I don't like watching them lose, especially to the Commanders, but they can get something positive out of this. They might not, but they can.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
chinch;2295650 said:
PLEASE don't EVER mention Tom Landry with Cupcake.

Adversity is not a character builder when you have no real leaders and a terrible, terrible soft coach.

What you posted would be great if we had a legitimate HC and legitimate DC and more experienced OC also.

:hammer:

I'd like some leaders on the team as well.

We got one of our veterans on defense crying on the bench cuz he had a bad first half (Newman). Everyone has a bad game once in awhile but leaders don't go sit on the bench with a towel over their head crying about it like a little "Female dog".

Sorry, I like newman and I still feel he's one of the best in the league, but that was weak of him. What are the younger guys thinking when they see that? We had a QB like that in high school, he'd throw a pick and would go off on his own away from the team and would get all PO'd if anyone talked to him. HORRIBLE leader, great player.

Some of those guys need to quit worrying about being "liked" by the team and start leading them. I'd even welcome back a charles haley type to get in people's faces, even if it meant he had to get his manhood in their faces as well.

Ren

Reaction score
if the team actually learned from it then yes, but when you got Wade offering up the same "we'll be fine, we're good excuses" i really doubt they will

khiladi

Reaction score
Our coaches are stubborn... They claim to adapt to their players, but they don't. It took Jason a whole half to start moving T.O. to get favorable match-ups. Wade is still playing that crappy zone, and that too, against West Coast offenses....

The style of defense Wade plays is a pansy defense... Unless Wade grows a pair, we'll always be an almost team...

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Ren;2295692 said:
if the team actually learned from it then yes, but when you got Wade offering up the same "we'll be fine, we're good excuses" i really doubt they will

Kind of makes you miss Bill Parcells' "Tell it like it is" approach, which I always thought was just fine. Make the players hate you, but at least it makes them do something as a team. Gives them a common "enemy".

People don't want to hear this and they'll cry about it, but I think Parcells style was better for building a championship caliber team. Sort of like forcing the players to do it the "Hard way" cuz if you can do it the hard way, you can do it all ways.

Both Wade's and BP's styles - eventhough they're opposite of eachother - have to work early though or it won't work at all. In BPs case, players start to despise the coach if you don't have success early (aka winning in the playoffs) and in Wade's case the players will start to lose all respect for him if they don't win in the playoffs.

We'll see what happens at the end of the year.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
khiladi;2295706 said:
Unless Wade grows a pair, we'll always be an almost team...

Wade has grown a pair.

nfl_g_phillips_1_200.jpg

Oh, you mean something a little lower.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I guess nobody heard Wade yesterday say there was nothing good about that game, and that we got outplayed and outcoached in every area.

Or is it just more fun to type "13-3 heh heh"?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Chief;2295492 said:

Two thumbs up. :)

I remember when the Cowboys took a 3-0 record into Philadelphia in 1992 and got beat 30-7. Philadelphia was rejoicing as if it won the Super Bowl, but the Cowboys, under the leadership of Jimmy Johnson, didn't get flustered. Jimmy just said, "We'll be a better team the next time we see them." And, sure enough, the Cowboys beat the Eagles 20-10 and then 34-10 in the playoffs.

I wish we had a Johnson for a coach, to mold this young team. Hopefully, Phillips and Co. will get that message over to the Cowboys.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tyke1doe;2295735 said:
Two thumbs up. :)

I remember when the Cowboys took a 3-0 record into Philadelphia in 1992 and got beat 30-7. Philadelphia was rejoicing as if it won the Super Bowl, but the Cowboys, under the leadership of Jimmy Johnson, didn't get flustered. Jimmy just said, "We'll be a better team the next time we see them." And, sure enough, the Cowboys beat the Eagles 20-10 and then 34-10 in the playoffs.

I wish we had a Johnson for a coach, to mold this young team. Hopefully, Phillips and Co. will get that message over to the Cowboys.

I agree, Johnson was a better coach then Wade (obviously) but that team also had something else this team doesn't...

Leaders.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Rack;2295674 said:
Some of those guys need to quit worrying about being "liked" by the team and start leading them. I'd even welcome back a charles haley type to get in people's faces, even if it meant he had to get his manhood in their faces as well.

Well, I wouldn't go that far for leadership. But I get what you're saying.

Ren

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2295735 said:

To bad Jeff Fisher signed that extension the same year BP retired, he'd be a good fit :(

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Rack;2295748 said:
I agree, Johnson was a better coach then Wade (obviously) but that team also had something else this team doesn't...

Leaders.

Ouch. On the same page again. I feel, icky.

superpunk

Reaction score
khiladi;2295706 said:
Our coaches are stubborn... They claim to adapt to their players, but they don't. It took Jason a whole half to start moving T.O. to get favorable match-ups. Wade is still playing that crappy zone, and that too, against West Coast offenses....

The style of defense Wade plays is a pansy defense... Unless Wade grows a pair, we'll always be an almost team...
It's just common sense.

You're playing a west coast offense in a game where the referees are letting the DBs play. What should you do? if you guessed "Play your corners 8 yards off the LOS", you're probably Brian Stewart / Wade Phillips!!!!! You're also a moron!