"This Was A Special Teams Draft," said Jerry Jones

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If you remember him saying that, and how that draft failed from top to bottom.

Tell me about the WR squad on this Dallas team right now. At the end of the game all I could think of was Jerry's comment about the draft being special teams.

And how the rest of the league laughed. Like they laughed when Jerry traded down then back up to take Quincy.

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Tell me about the WR squad on this Dallas team right now. At the end of the game all I could think of was Jerry's comment about the draft being special teams.

And how the rest of the league laughed. Like they laughed when Jerry traded down then back up to take Quincy.

The league has been laughing at Jerry for a long time now. Everyone has been laughing at the Cowboys for a while now.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
We have only drafted 1 receiver so it's not even closer to being fixed. All the receivers we got right now are pure route runners
Pure route runners would be perfect for Dak. They aren't. No one on this team is a route runner, outside of Beasley.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jerry didn't say that about the 2009 draft. Fans/media said it.

Jerry made that statement about the 1995 draft. People have just been repeating it in more recent years when the drafts were not good.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Do you think a 1st round draft pick at WR would have made a difference? Both Calvin Ridley & DJ Moore (who we faced) had zero receptions. Michael Gallup was 1 for 9 and had one he couldn't hang on to but I think he's a future star at some point.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The WR's look like that draft at this point.

I think the better comparison is the RB by committee with Joseph Randle and Darren McFadden.

Yes, it is easy to get production from RBs and WRs but when Garrett is your coach you better be elite at those positions because his scheme sucks.

SSoup

Reaction score
It's funny you bring up the Quincy Carter pick while also whining about us not drafting a #1 receiver.

Because the Carter pick only happened because we tried to force it by drafting a new franchise QB (after Aikman left) in a year when there was no franchise QB available for us to pick. Vick and Brees both went too high for us to sniff them. We actually picked the 3rd best QB of that class, to our credit, so we did somehow manage to pick the best QB available to us in that year's draft. But he wasn't a franchise QB and forcing it with him proved fruitless.

I assume you'd argue we'd have been better off, after we missed out on Vick and Brees in 2001, simply waiting until 2002 instead of trying to force it and trying to build around Carter by pretending (or kidding ourselves) that he was something he wasn't. Of course, 2002 turned out to be a lousy year for QBs too. Which of the 2002 QBs do you wish we'd built our franchise around, out of curiosity? Carr? Ramsey? Harrington?

We had the bad luck of needing to replace Aikman at a time when there wasn't any franchise QB sitting there for us in the next couple of drafts.

Just like we had the bad luck of needing to replace a #1 WR this year when there was no #1 receiver there for us.

The next time we're on the clock and there's a #1 receiver there, I am confident we'll hungrily pounce on them. Proving all the "we don't need a #1" talk was just lip service that was less about us not wanting a #1 and was more about making do with the fact that there was no #1 available anyway.

Eddie

Reaction score
Brees would have been available to us if we didn't send two first rounders to Seattle for Joey Gagoway.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Pure route runners should be able to get open.

Not running antiquated routes that high school DBs could cover. Run straight for 20 yards, turn around and stand there watching Dak run for his life with nowhere to throw it.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
It's funny you bring up the Quincy Carter pick while also whining about us not drafting a #1 receiver.

Because the Carter pick only happened because we tried to force it by drafting a new franchise QB (after Aikman left) in a year when there was no franchise QB available for us to pick. Vick and Brees both went too high for us to sniff them. We actually picked the 3rd best QB of that class, to our credit, so we did somehow manage to pick the best QB available to us in that year's draft. But he wasn't a franchise QB and forcing it with him proved fruitless.

I assume you'd argue we'd have been better off, after we missed out on Vick and Brees in 2001, simply waiting until 2002 instead of trying to force it and trying to build around Carter by pretending (or kidding ourselves) that he was something he wasn't. Of course, 2002 turned out to be a lousy year for QBs too. Which of the 2002 QBs do you wish we'd built our franchise around, out of curiosity? Carr? Ramsey? Harrington?

We had the bad luck of needing to replace Aikman at a time when there wasn't any franchise QB sitting there for us in the next couple of drafts.

Just like we had the bad luck of needing to replace a #1 WR this year when there was no #1 receiver there for us.

The next time we're on the clock and there's a #1 receiver there, I am confident we'll hungrily pounce on them. Proving all the "we don't need a #1" talk was just lip service that was less about us not wanting a #1 and was more about making do with the fact that there was no #1 available anyway.
They could have traded up into the first to draft Brees. Brees was taken at the top of the 2nd round.

exciter

Reaction score
Not running antiquated routes that high school DBs could cover. Run straight for 20 yards, turn around and stand there watching Dak run for his life with nowhere to throw it.
20? Look more like 8 to 10 yards to me. My eyes are going quick though!